Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2L ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2L ???
    Posted: 26 Apr. 2010 at 4:46pm
Hello,

First post so I better introduce myself.  When I was a kid my mom got me a book, "The Year of the Jeep".  It was a story about a kid who found and fixed up this old Jeep.  That got me hooked and all my life I've wanted an older CJ.  Well, as luck would have it I turned out to be 6'9" tall, and didn't really fit in a Jeep.  I've had Scouts, Broncos, pretty much every other 4X4 out there, but in the back of my mind I still longed for an old CJ.

Last month I was up in the great state of WA and I saw an old timer driving a CJ2A that was about 2' longer than stock.  I thought, gee, if I had that I could move the seat back and still have plenty of room, so I asked him about it.  It wasn't for sale but he explained his uncle bought the Jeep new when he got back from WWII.  He picked it up from a dealer in Idaho and it was already stretched.  He recalled that there was an aftermarket dealer who bought them from Jeep, stretched the frame and tub, then sold them through dealerships as a CJ2L.

Well I figured I would never see another but when I got back to CA I started browsing Craigslist and lo and behold, there was a stretched 46 for sale and only 10 miles from home.  I called right away and made an appointment to see it.  It looked to be in pretty good shape--some body damage here and there but nothing that can't be repaired with a little time and TLC.  The frame has been sectioned and stretched 24" but it is a really professional job.  It hasn't run in 20 years but everything is there so it will be a fun project.  My plan is to get it running so I can putt around the ranch in it, and then restore it a piece at a time.

Anyway, here is a pic of the beast.  It is stamped CJ2A but the registration from the 1970's calls it a CJ2L which lends credibility to what the guy from WA told me.

Anybody have an idea about who might have made these?  I imagine they aren't around any more but knowing the history would be fun.

I'll post pictures and updates as I progress.

Dave

Riding High Ranch

La Cresta, CA
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2010 at 4:57pm
They turn up from time to time and for some reason most tend to show up on the west coast or NW. Don't know if there is a relavance to that, just an observation.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2010 at 4:58pm

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting Jeep!

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2010 at 5:41pm
wow..learn somethin new every day....
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
bob777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2010 at 5:47pm
Yep!!! Just when you think you have a good knowlege of somthing, up pops somthing new.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Bob '48 CJ2A 162153
Bantam TC-3 406
http://picasaweb.google.com/home
jeepdaddybrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdaddybrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2010 at 6:15pm
i found one here on the east coast in annapolis a couple years ago. frame tag # stated it was a 46, but had the same long body.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/what-kind-of-willys-is-this_topic7333.html?KW=

Edited by jeepdaddybrian - 26 Apr. 2010 at 6:18pm
47 cj2a # 94348
48 cj2a #193443

http://bshockleywillysrestopics.myphotoalbum.com/
Beedoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2010 at 8:58pm
Welcome!

Could it be an ambulance willys? Love these mutant jeeps!Smile 

Mark W.

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2011 at 1:06pm
I remember reading "The year of the Jeep" also...what a great book for a boy. I always wished they'd made a movie of it.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2011 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Beedoo Beedoo wrote:

Welcome!

Could it be an ambulance willys? Love these mutant jeeps!Smile 

Mark W.

No, No, No!    Not mutant!!   Standardization deficient maybe. Differently  configured...Bubba enhanced....Optionally altered....Ya gotta be PC ya know., WinkLOL

And welcome to another reader of Year of The Jeep...That book is to blame for a lot of wasted hours in study hall trying to figure out what surplus parts I needed to buy from JC Whitney to build a jeep of my own. (And lots of hours on the internet trying to figure where to buy them now I have my own jeep.)

Neat Stretch... WOuld like to see some detailed pics of the actual stretched parts.

Edited by F Bill - 08 Feb. 2011 at 1:35pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2011 at 2:20am
Here's one for sale right now:

And rocnroll is right, it is in the west coast area.

Funny thing is, there's a link to this post. LOL

Edited by garage gnome - 09 Feb. 2011 at 2:23am
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
 Post Reply Post Reply