Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cj2a Power Steering conversion help!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VertIgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cj2a Power Steering conversion help!!
    Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 12:35am
I have a 47 Cj2a that I am putting a saginaw p/s conversion on and I need help. If anyone who has done could post pictures of how you have your tie rods hooked up, your power steering hoses ran and your steering column shafts running to the p/s gearbox PLEASE POST them. Im not sure how to get all of this hooked up. Thanks...
For HIS glory
compyellow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compyellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 1:13am
Check  on advanced adapters page and Herms overdrive. Here is a pic of my manual tie rod set up
but I need a drop pitman arm. You want your drag link parrallel to your tie rod and replace your
 front cross member with one that goes below the grill. I also made a steering box brace to the
 other frame rail like they have avalible for newer CJs. I used the orginal tie rod end on the right
 side of the Jeep with the extra eye.

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 1:43am
I'll try to get some of mine tomorrow. I didn't do it, it was converted before I got the 48. I've had it since 2001 and it has always performed great. It has the power box but no pump hooked too it. Handles great with 31x10.5's, no wobble at speed ever!
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 3:10am
I have seen a lot of info on the early CJ5 site.  Send me your email and I will send you my collection of Saginaw conversion pics.  I bought a manual Saginaw for mine at a swap meet, early 70's Malibu.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by VertIgo VertIgo wrote:

If anyone who has done could post pictures of how you have your tie rods hooked up, your power steering hoses ran and your steering column shafts running to the p/s gearbox

In other words....you want the ones of us who have done this to take all the fun out of it for you.Big smile LOL right?

By typing in Saginaw Power steering swap at Google, I got 2,980,000 hits in 0.27 seconds. There's probably even a picture or two in there. Wink

edit.....
             Putting Saginaw Power steering swap jeep narrows it down a bit.

Edited by rocnroll - 28 Apr. 2010 at 8:27pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 4:09pm
There will probably be some PS conversions at the Spring Reunion.  I will be taking lots of pics.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by VertIgo VertIgo wrote:

If anyone who has done could post pictures of how you have your tie rods hooked up, your power steering hoses ran and your steering column shafts running to the p/s gearbox

In other words....you want the ones of us who have done this to take all the fun out of it for you.Big smile LOL right?

By typing in Saginaw Power steering swap at Google, I got 2,980,000 hits in 0.27 seconds. There's probably even a picture or two in there. Wink

Here is one link that Roc's search googled up. It has pictures.

Wink
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 4:23pm
My 47 came to me with two holes on the passenger side knuckle, one for the tie rod and the other for the drag link.  PO must have done a swap.  I have one of these two hole knuckles on a closed knuckle Dana 30 that I found on Craigs list for $150.   I was told that Kaiser went to a Saginaw type system just before they sold to AMC.  If any one wants the axle I will bring it to the Reunion.  It is not 5.38 or I would keep it for my other 2A.  On my 47 2A I am going to drill out the holes and weld in high steer adapters to put both the tie rod and drag link higher.  I think that when I position the Saginaw box on the frame horn this will help with the steering geometry.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
compyellow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compyellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 6:50pm
I second the thought on checking the early CJ5 page
munkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 6:52pm

Some of the early IH Scouts had the 2 holes on the knuckles that can be used to convert to a Saginaw box.

matthew_fistler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew_fistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 7:44pm
Here you go step by step with pictures.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/3326/index.html

- Matt
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 8:00pm
This can be done without cutting up your front cross member.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2010 at 8:12pm

It can also be done without using a two hole knuckle. (as in compyellow's example)

Here's Mattew's link made 'clickable'.....a good one.....bunch of pictures!        http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/3326/index.html 

Clicking on the ninth picture down will show what compyellow is referring to. Using this does basically the same as the two hole knuckle....although there are some that like the 'top steer' option the knuckle can provide.

Mine is roughly the same as these conversions except mine is a springover which would confuse the issue somewhat in regard to the way the linkage looks but not really in the way it works. Mine is almost identical to compyellow's except I used a 4" dropped pitman arm.

Most all of these steer you (did I just say that?) toward Advance Adapters parts primarily because they are magazine written but they DO have good products. The conversion can be done without all their fancy mounting plates and such if you have some 1/2" steel plate laying around and some fab skills...........AA parts are GREAT to use, if you want to work that into your budget though.

Edited by rocnroll - 28 Apr. 2010 at 8:56pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
VertIgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VertIgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2010 at 12:32am
Those are some good pics on the 4wheelin site. Here are some pictures of mine. I just hooked it up today. The problem I have now is my drag link rubs my spring when turned to the right and the tie tod is only about an inch above the springs. Solutions/Sugestions?? The last one is kind of a bad picture but you can kind of see the whole setup.

For HIS glory
VertIgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VertIgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2010 at 12:33am
For HIS glory
VertIgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VertIgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2010 at 12:34am
For HIS glory
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2010 at 2:32am
Convert to high steer.  Then your tie rod goes into the top of the steering arm  hole with the castle nut on the bottom.  Those holes are tapered so you have to drill them round then insert a tapered bushing from goferitoffroad, 2 for $30 + $4 shipping.  The old school way is to use a reamer to reverse the taper far enough to drop the tie rod end in.  This will help keep your drag link closer to parallel with your tie rod. I ordered 3 bushings today because my tie rod only clears my springs by 1 1/2 inches.  I am not going to hang my Saginaw box untill I have the tie rod up on top then I can position my Pitman arm and measure for the independent  drag link.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2010 at 2:36am
Looked closer at your pics, can you raise your steering box?  As Roc said, the two hole knuckle is not necessary, mine just came that way and gives a little more flexibility in your set up.  With your Saginaw box mounted that low you may have to raise it to give  you clearence for your single straight tie rod.  The Ross box with the drag links sloping down from the bell crank allowed clearance for the springs.  Of course moving the box means changes in your steering linkage.

Edited by ralf - 29 Apr. 2010 at 2:47am
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>