Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Look What I drug home Mom!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look What I drug home Mom!
    Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:16pm

Mom told Louie that dad was in trouble again!   Well I finally got her home today with my son's help.  We got it from a freind in Pearland Texas.  No serial number or tag.   He had sand blasted her 5 years ago and had started to turn her into a military style trailer.  Found the casting couple weeks ago in his shed, The ball hitch was missing.  Found a 2" receiver that I modified to mount like the orginal  hitch.  Going to attempt to use the Liquid Metal or figerglass the floor before I replace it.  Had been setting under a shed for five years.

Well I have my pockets to now to test my bows! 

Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 10:29pm
Very nice.
tappel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tappel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 1:36pm
Nice find!   Hopefully you can find a Fulton hitch  somewhere.
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2010 at 2:20am
Well, Learned on thing about painting your trailer, it should not be done on a day where there is a heat advisory in Houston TX.  Getting closer to her done.

Edited by P8106jr - 11 Aug. 2010 at 2:52am
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2010 at 11:50pm

Almost done!  Should have the new tires mounted on the Rims next weekend.

See you all in Jeferson City

Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 12:19am
Jamie,

Did you make the stencil and paint the Bantam logo?   If so, how did that work for you?

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

rrivera1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 2:11am
Wow, that looks awesome!!
2nd LT Rivera/ SSgt Rivera USMC

48 CJ2A
T3-C Bantam #655
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 2:50am

Creating a stencil or decal are basically the same.   I did what they called vectorizing the photo into a line art file.   I have sent Art the PDF files to up load to the site when he gets time.  Until then, I can email you the file if you want it.

I took the file, PDF, of the logo to a sign shop on a USB key. You could also email it to them. I asked for a paint stencil to be made.  They took the file and opened up in a program that controls a vinyl plotter.  It uses an Adhesive back vinyl that is applied to a release liner.  They adjust the blade to cut through the vinyl, but not the liner.  Removed the logo part of the vinyl and applied a big piece of tape called a pre mask.   It is not difficult to apply the stencil to the metal, but you either need to have someone show you once or just have them do it. Make sure the painted area where you want to apply this is very clean and wax free.  I would use a citrus cleaner followed by alcohol wiped.   You then remove the release liner and apply the big piece of tape with the vinyl to the tailgate.    I would measure the place where you want to apply the graphic and mark on the pre-mask edges on it,(the bottom edge, center under a bolt or hook.)  This makes it easier to align it while applying it.  Once the vinyl touches the metal it is hard to remove and move.  Need to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you start.  The adhesive on the vinyl  has a stronger adhesive than the pre-mast.  Once you have squeegees the whole thing you remove the pre-mast, leaving the vinyl on the metal   The difference between a stencil and a decal is what your remove and the material is cut out of.  Decal you want a permanent l adhesive. Stencil you want a removable adhesive. 

I covered the rest of the tail gate with plastic bags and applied several light coats of a white automotive spray paint. Let it dry for 30 minutes and then removed the vinyl leaving the painted logo.

I paid a sign shop $15.00 to create the stencil.  They used a material that was designed to handle spray paint.    Probably would have charged me $15 dollars to apply the stencil.  Drive it home mask off the rest of the tailgate so you don’t get paint on it.  

Any Sign shop should be able to do this. A vinyl cutter is usually the staple of any operation.

Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 3:08am
i put on decal for years. we use soap and water to put them on. you then would squeezees it dry.SmileSmile
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 3:45am
Nice job, that looks really good.
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 4:09am

Paint Stencil you want to put on dry.  Does not mater if you get bubbles in it as long as the edges next to where you are going to paint are down

Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 2:23pm

If Jamie doesn't mind me using his artwork I would be glad to cut stencils in a few weeks once I get my cutter to talk with the new software I got. .. Or I could cut a bunch for Art and he can do the selling and shipping. The signs are a prt time business fo rme in between oversize load pilot car runs with wind towers..

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 5:42pm
I don't mind if you use the file. I would ask if you are selling them to donate a little to Art to help maintain the page.
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 9:58pm
Jamie, Bill,

I had created a web page on the logo theory by Randy Synder and thought it appropriate to add the stencils to this page and make it public at this time.

See under the database area in the center.

I put a copywrite and warning line to detour anyone stealing Jamie's work and trying to make money off of it. Let me know what you think or if I need to reword it. I would also be more than happy to host a resale of the stencil or decal if need be.

Jamie - the trailer is looking great! (did you notice you have the landing leg on backwords)

Edited by 48cj2a - 14 Aug. 2010 at 10:11pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 10:53pm
The gentleman I bought the trailer from had done a great deal of rewiring on the trailer including make all the conections waterproof.  Ee put a junction box right in the center under the front edge. He did not have the landing leg on before he placed the box.  It will fold up high enough for the pen to engage.   Figure if I ever find arrow turn signals I will rewire the trailer then and remove the junction box.

Nice catch though.  

Jamie
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 11:16pm
Ok, I had found tires that matched the pattern that would have been on my 1963 CJ3B last year.  My search started out overseas with a website.  Found a Deester  D-305.  Anyway, I found them from a distributor around Pitsburg.   I wanted to order two more so the trailer would match.  Guy would never call me back.  Called the US importer Friday afternoon and he gave me a name of a wholesale distributor 2 miles from my house.  So I got busy last night and painted my rims and spent a fun hour at Discount Tire this morning.   Also the postman bought me a present this afternoon.  Promoise no more post until I get my bows done!Smile
I did not have a Serial number so  I used the road my familys farm is on.
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2010 at 11:20pm

Type Deester D503 was the patter

Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2010 at 3:54am
Post as much as you want ( with pictures!) That trailer is beautiful!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>