Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring/Rebound Clips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring/Rebound Clips
    Posted: 13 July 2010 at 4:39pm
This has probably been discussed before although I didn't see it in the search I pulled up.
I am in the process of disassembling my springs and I noticed that the spring/rebound clips have a certain orientation.  This is just an observation I noticed and as stated others of you have probably noticed before.  All of my springs were oriented this way.
You will notice the clips face one way on the pivot bolt side and face the opposite direction on the shackle side.  The top of the pic is the pivot bold side and the bottome is the shackle side.
This is a front spring by the way

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 8:29pm
Never noticed that, maybe on the assembly line they had guys on both sides of the line, 1 installing the forward ones, and the other guy installing the ones on the rear. Or maybe the idea is that if it slides sideways across a rock, it will only catch and remove half the clips.LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 8:41pm
I just took my rear springs off today and they are like you said. The clip tabs front of the axel are bent toward the passenger side and the clip tabs rear of the axel are bent toward the drivers side.  Good observation I never noticed before.
    JIM
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

This has probably been discussed before ...
Has been noted before, but only incidentally to the main topic (probably why it can't be "found").

I wondered about the orientation too, until I rebuilt mine, then understood: The manufacturer likely had a jig & tooling to install these.  When working on one end of the spring pack, they'd go on facing one direction.  When the spring pack is flipped around to work on the other end, they'd still go on the same direction, which is ultimately opposite the first end!

Even if two guys worked on the same spring pack, they'd be facing different directions, so would the clips.

Spring rebuild

Sean

Edited by sean - 19 Apr. 2012 at 3:41pm
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 9:58pm
Well I don't think it serves any function having them face one way or the other, but if your going to be a purest (which I am surely not) then this is one little detail that would probably get overlooked.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Holy Toledo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 10:50pm
Crap! I just put my newly rebuilt 10-leaf front spring packs up in the hot garage attic Monday last to oven dry the paint and I missed this detail.  Glad I made extra rebound clips and it looks like another coat of paint to dry.  Thanks for the post and a great lesson in observing what is actually there instead of what my mind wants to see. 
Joel
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 1:51am
Joel,
I don't think anyone would have really caught onto something like this.  But if you are going for the pure resto....and it sounds like you may be.... let's see some pics.  I bet things look good if your paying that much detail.  I always enjoyed seeing a quaility job.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Holy Toledo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 2:04am
Hi Dave,
 Not sure that it's a "quality job" but if I get rock solid information like yours (and others) I make sure that I always do it right the first time(s).  I will post some pictures after I make the corrections. 
  On a side note, my dad use to point out to me that most people would never know of your mistakes if you would only keep quiet and not point them out.  The people on this Forum are not "most people".   Mistakes will happen, it's just a matter how one fixes their errors that separates talent.  My dad never quite understood this trait in my character and I can imagine him now shaking his head at me for going to the trouble to fix this one.  Do not get me wrong, my dad did quality work putting his thoughts into action, I just try to do quality work with both my head and my two hands. 
  I have to laugh at myself a little.  When I disassembled the two spring packs I did not pay any attention to the rebound clip orientation because I knew that I had original springs mounted on my '47 to verify them to.  I even looked twice underneath my '47 at the front rebound clips for correct orientation.  What screwed me up with this double check method is that I failed twice to look and notice the different orientation of the rebound clips on the rear portion of the front springs!  A good reminder in how accidents will and do happen....flawed reasoning and assumptions.
Joel
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 3:14am
Joel,
Sounds like you are doing a fine job.  It also sounds like your dad and mine are a lot alike.  My dad does not understand why I so some of the things I do on my Jeep.  He has said "no one will know" line many of times.  Like your dad, mine too did quality work in everything he did.  I told him when I started on this Jeep (that was his) that I wanted to do it right.  I could tell that we were gonna bump heads on a few things.  But, he said it's your Jeep now you can do with it what you want to.  He has been supportive ever since but I can tell he thinks I may be going a little to far with what I want to do with this Jeep.  Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply