Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer ball smaller than 1 7/8" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsboening Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer ball smaller than 1 7/8" ?
    Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 3:04am
Does anyone know if the make a trailer ball smaller than 1 7/8"?  I've tried getting my trailer on a 1 7/8" ball, but have had no luck. Did they make a 1 3/4" ball?  My coupler seems to be in good shape it's just too small.  Maybe machine a 1 7/8 down? Help.Confused
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 3:19am
Never heard of a ball smaller than 1 7/8" What coupler are you using. The standard Fulton that came on the T3-C is a 1 7/8". mine fits normally. (I think the European's have a smaller ball/coupling arrangement, but that would be metric)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 11:36am
do you have any pics of your coupler?  And are you sure you are using a 1 7/8 and not a 2 inch?
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
jsboening View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsboening Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 1:41pm
Here are some pictures.  I've sanded down the ball to get rid of a few burs and still no luck.  What am I missing. Is there a different style of ball?

Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 1:48pm
Hmmmmmmmm.............. I have never seen a coupler like that. Most couplers have the size on them somewhere. That may be a lawn and garden type of thing and not something meant for the road. I think I would get a new one.

JMHO

Confused
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
jsboening View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsboening Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 1:57pm
It says FOREMOST PRODUCTS HOLLY MICHIGAN ON IT. I googled it and came up with nothing. It's too bad because it seems to work real nice, other than not going on a ball. LOL! 
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 2:09pm
What about getting a hold of the Captain you bought it from and asking if they used a special type of vehicle to move it around on the docks. They had to move it some how... Just throwing stuff against the wall...

"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 3:21pm
I'm thinking lawn and garden too, maybe take the coupler to a lawn tractor place and see if they know what to do. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 5:00pm

I would carefully cut if off and put on a new fulton - it may not look original but it will be closer than that.  You will lose your length, however, I use an 18 inch hitch extension on my Wrangler- and that helps - I can see the trailer out the back window with it.  Another suggestion is like what others have done like Robert Bills - he welded a 2 inch receiver on the tongue and he is able to add extensions if need be.  http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showphoto.php?photo=17345&title=1946-bantam-t3-c239466&cat=924

Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
jsboening View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsboening Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2010 at 7:23pm
I talked to Captain Preifer.  He said his friend tow it out to the ship behind his pickup, but that they never use a vehicle to move it around the dock.  The extent of its use was loading it full of rubber mats and letting it sit.  He can't recall anything special about the setup.  His friend has since passed.

I think at this point I'm going to have to look for a suitable replacement for it.

Thanks Dave for the link.  Thats an incredible trailer! WOW! Definitely going to bookmark that page. I'd also like to keep the tongue long so that I can use it behind our van.  If I recall its very hard backing up short trailers behind long vehicles, especially when you can't see it most of the time.  I'd like to use the coupler thats on it right now, but if it's truly meant to be used behind a lawn tractor I think I might be pushing my luck.  I'd hate to hurt someone.  I'll look at Fultons web site and see what they have. Thanks guys.  

jsboening View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsboening Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2010 at 4:13am
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2010 at 11:05am
I think that is overkill for the 1/4 ton.
Good luck getting a new one one set up.
 BTW - did you get the SN in Arts database?

I mentioned I use one of these, and for the Bantam light trailer it really works well.

Edited by dmeyerrph - 07 Aug. 2010 at 11:07am
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2010 at 11:14am
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
jsboening View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsboening Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2010 at 11:55am
Originally posted by dmeyerrph dmeyerrph wrote:

I think that is overkill for the 1/4 ton.
Good luck getting a new one one set up.
 BTW - did you get the SN in Arts database?

I mentioned I use one of these, and for the Bantam light trailer it really works well.

I may end up going that route to get the trailer away from the vehicle.  I can see myself kinking the doors on my wife's van. Like this hobby isn't expensive enough. Arts on vacation he said he'd contact me when he gets home.  At this point I have been able to find any discernible numbers due to the underside being fairly rusty.  What are you using for a coupler on yours?  I saw a Max Coupler on a bantam, but it was $225 for the setup.  Nice product but maybe a little overkill for what I'm doing.  I haven't had any luck finding a 1 3/4" ball, I've even looked for 45mm balls and no luck there either.  It would definitely be a great theft deterrent, no one would ever have the right size ball to tow it away with.  LOL!
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2010 at 12:05pm
Mine is original - came on the trailer ... Oh - and looking at your pics - don't waste any time looking for a SN,  You have a later date trailer and unless the small data tag is on the trailer (that is the only SN) - there are no ACM numbers or others stamped underneath. 

Edited by dmeyerrph - 07 Aug. 2010 at 12:08pm
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
jsboening View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsboening Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2010 at 12:29pm
Thats a very nice trailer.Thumbs Up  I'm guessing you had the cover made.  Do you ever get hassled for not having two taillight?
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2010 at 4:21pm
In the state where I live we only need 1 for trailers under a certain weight - so nope
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2010 at 11:45am
And I had the cover made locally..Len & Tony's.. some really heavy boat tarp stuff... Ihave one piece of nylon rope - you work from the back around - and you can tighten it down to where it is pretty sealed.

Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>