Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

original seat fabric?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 9:14pm
Well, if your point is that there are shades of gray, green, and tan that are difficult to label as one or the other, I agree.   The shade of upholstery in my DD is a tweener to me, though I guess I'd call it a gray.  Who knows what the manufacturer calls it.

Edited by samcj2a - 04 Dec. 2010 at 9:16pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 9:17pm
Can I add one more thing??LOL
We all agree that the material is some sort of Vinyl or similar or leather lookalike?
It's the texture that is possibly different.
What are the opinions here about the material itself no matter what the color is?
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 9:18pm
No point really except that I think I have found a pretty good match if someone is looking for fabric.  The inside of the jeep has a tint similar to what you are calling olive when in dark light.  In bright light it looks gray, Those pictures are taken outside on a cloudy day.

Whether it's called, olive, olive drab, gray, brown, or orange, I want my seats to look like that.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

Your samples are definitely grey Jeff.
Sorry I dragged you into this mess.Ouch

No,  My rear seat is similar to the other examples that are posted.  In different light, it looks anything from gray, to brown and all shades in between.  If one of the purposes of this thread is to come up with a modern day match, I'd say that if your sample starts up a debate on what color it is between, gray, olive, or olive drab, you have found your matchLOL
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

No point really except that I think I have found a pretty good match if someone is looking for fabric.  The inside of the jeep has a tint similar to what you are calling olive when in dark light.  In bright light it looks gray, Those pictures are taken outside on a cloudy day.

Whether it's called, olive, olive drab, gray, brown, or orange, I want my seats to look like that.
If it looks gray in bright light, I'd call it gray.   As an exercise, take another look at the photos of the '46 that I posted on page 2 of the thread.  To me, the portions of the fabric that is lighted by direct sun looks distinctly olive while the less well lighted parts are less distinct.   If that '46 has what was original, then I wouldn't be happy with the Jeep Liberty material. 

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 9:36pm
to date, that i am aware of, Dave Pizzoferatto at www.odcloth.com sells the closest match, grain wise, to the original, not an exact match, but as close as has been found.....

i believe Keith had told me this, i am sure to be corrected if not the case.....

Edited by lowenuf - 04 Dec. 2010 at 9:36pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

to date, that i am aware of, Dave Pizzoferatto at www.odcloth.com sells the closest match, grain wise, to the original, not an exact match, but as close as has been found.....

That's the center seat cover in my photo post on page 4.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

That's the center seat cover in my photo post on page 4.
Who's seat with the original fabric is that?

Edited by jpet - 04 Dec. 2010 at 10:23pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 10:35pm

Who's seat with the original fabric is that?

That belongs to my neighbor.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

That belongs to my neighbor.
Can I have it?Big smile
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 10:45pm

Can I have it?Big smile

I don't think so but if you just want to look I am sure that can be arranged. LOL
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 11:00pm
My thoughts in this thread are 1: determine what is correct for 45, 46 and 47 jeeps. 2: to possibly obtain matching fabric/material or at least find a source for others.. 3: to send it to Jpet to have seats made. (Oh wait, I probably shouldn't have included number three..oh well too late. Tongue}
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2010 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

.....3: to send it to Jpet to have seats made. (Oh wait, I probably shouldn't have included number three..oh well too late. Tongue}

4.  You restore my MB and I'll make you all the canvas products that you want! (oh wait, I probably shouldn't have .......oh well.)

FWIW,  I am sending SMS a sample of the leatherette binding for canvas tops.  I will also send them a sample of the seat covers.  They claim that they can make any fabric.

Edited by jpet - 05 Dec. 2010 at 2:56pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 2:40pm
I looked back at my last email to the SMS people....seems my memory was off by $25 ayard on the surrey stuff... $125 a yard was what I was quoted.  Where I got the $150 price from who knows..
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

... What are the opinions here about the material itself no matter what the color is?
In prior discussions, we had sorta concluded that there were 2 distinctly different grain textures of "Gray" front covers.  Same base fabric, medium weight drill/twill weave.

Now with the photos jpet has posted, the same can be said for the early rear seat covers.  His fabric appears to be medium drill/twill,  "elephant hide" textured, just like most of the gray front seats.

The OD covers I have are heavy weight plain weave, no added texture, just the weave pattern showing through the vinyl/plastic overcoat.

Haven't seen Barcelona Red, or OD fronts fabrics first hand too see what they're made of.

We could use more photos of the inner side of these fabrics.

Sean
Willys Motors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 3:08pm
Jim Marski was the last one to work with a vinyl supplier for the correct grain pattern for Surrey tops.They resurrected the dies and made rolls of fabric for him.

He also sent my original early 2A colonial grain rear seat covers to the manufacturer, and they said they didn't have the dies to reproduce it. I've actually seen the proper grain at Joann fabrics, but always the wrong weight or backing.

Our of the THOUSANDS of 'original' early CJ2A's I've seen, I can only confirm one or two with original covers, so let's not jump to conclusions...

The 1945 CJ2A canfield wrecker Marski sold to Daron Wanberg was one of them with original covers I believe.

"NOS" covers in Jeep parts boxes are not necessarily the same as the factory part.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 3:11pm
Inside of my seat:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 4:27pm

Inside of my seat:
That's the medium drill/twill weave.  So definitely 2 different fabrics, and 2 different textures, used on the early rear seat.

My 2 cents worth - consider these.
  • upper left: jpets rear seat cover & OD swatch
  • lower right: Bob Ws rear seat cover (same texture as jpets) & WeeBee OD
  • background: my heavy fabric OD

With 2 different fabrics, possibly from 2 different suppliers, Willys may have called them both "OD", but one is certainly "gray" in reality.

Since these are all early short-back seats, both colors pre-date the purported first introduction of "Slate Gray" in 1947.  Are they all original?  Impossible to say;  it can't be proven or disproven either way.

What might be said:
  1. Willys used different fabrics as needed, or ...
  2. in later years, Willys made replacement covers in colors never originally used, or ...
  3. some aftermarket manufacturer made exact duplicates, only in colors Willys offered
I happen to believe in Occam's razor: the simplest explanation is most likely correct .  That would be #1.

It wouldn't be the first time the BOMs don't tell the whole story.  As far as I know, the BOMs do not specify 2 different soft top fabrics, yet we have 2 confirmed.

Sean

Edited by sean - 05 Dec. 2010 at 4:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>