Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Cj2a
    Posted: 29 Sep. 2023 at 10:22pm
  Thanks for the good idea.  I have the problem of fuel boiling in my intake after the engine gets hot and hard starting after it sits for a little while. I am going to try your idea. I might try making a gasket using exhaust manifold material to cover the whole opening.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2023 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Stan,  do you have a photo of that JB weld and sheet metal block?

Jim

Here’s a google photos album with the few pics that I have. We tack welded the plat to the heat riser shaft and sealed it up with JB weld. Pictures look like there’s a notch in the plate, but that is just a shadow.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2023 at 11:01am
  Stan,  do you have a photo of that JB weld and sheet metal block?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2023 at 10:43am
Originally posted by ferris GER ferris GER wrote:

Does the heat sink under the carb help u with the problem?
Or how do u solve it?

It  helped some. I also have a return fuel line that goes back to the tank. The final solution FOR ME was pulling the manifolds off, separating them, then blocking off the heat riser. My heat riser and spring were functioning correctly, but there was a flaw in the manifold casting that made in  impossible for the flap to close off the opening and allowed hot gasses to continually circulate to the intake manifold and boil the fuel. with my friends help I made a sheet metal piece that fit the opening. We glued it in with JB weld and reinstalled. No more fuel boiling.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
ferris GER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ferris GER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2023 at 5:06am
Does the heat sink under the carb help u with the problem?
Or how do u solve it?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 9:03pm
Thanks Bob.....I don't think I ever knew that....been educated. Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 8:23pm
The debate of which frame design was superior when these vehicles were new doesn't matter as much today as regular, rigorous inspection of our +70-year-old, much-fatigued chassis.

If I was an avid off-roader I'd be under the jeep, on the creeper, closely inspecting for signs of fracture in the key load areas, before hitting the challenging trails. Hairline cracks can lead to catastrophic failure, and Stan's frame was a catastrophic failure by any measure. 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 5:58pm
If you use an M-38 or CJ-3A frame to replace a CJ-2A frame the left motor mount will not line up, but a simple adapter can be used. Early CJ-3A frames and M-38 frames have the tabs for installing bottom mounted radiators like the CJ-2A has. There is a bunch of frame information on The CJ-3B Page here...
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 5:27pm
Again Stan, a late 2A frame and everything bolts right up I’d hate to see GJ get bastardized with late model parts, just would not be right

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Tempting. 
I know zero about what the differences between a 2a frame and an M38 frame would be.

I think that's the route I would go too.

You'll be able to make it work without a lot of hoopla. Biggest problem may well be just dealing with the difference in radiator mounts...small price to pay I'd say.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 2:22pm

I enjoyed that exchange.  
All kidding aside, I love how we love our little machines, no matter what iteration we might be advocating in behalf of....
fun exchange for sure. You know what they say:

"It takes a big man to admit when they are wrong ... it takes an even bigger man to admit that I am right!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 11:57am
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Stan
Here’s an idea, leave as is and come out a do a later summer snow trip in the rubicon then pick up a very nice m38 frame from me. What could be better than a nice easy trip over the Rubicon and a free m38 frame???
Jay

Tempting. 
I know zero about what the differences between a 2a frame and an M38 frame would be. My skills and abilities are limited so how many changes would need to be made would be a concern.  I also wonder if my battered old body (speaking of the jeep here) would actually fit on a straight frame.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 11:43am
Stan
Here’s an idea, leave as is and come out a do a later summer snow trip in the rubicon then pick up a very nice m38 frame from me. What could be better than a nice easy trip over the Rubicon and a free m38 frame???
Jay
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2023 at 10:28am
I enjoyed that exchange.  
All kidding aside, I love how we love our little machines, no matter what iteration we might be advocating in behalf of.

Due to my suffering from an especially severe case of inertia, I will probably not do a frame swap unless the thing falls down completely. 
If a late 2a/3a frame were to fall into my  hands, I might be more tempted. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:44am
I think the armored oil pan and beefy motor mounts caused it. LOL

Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."
                                       --- Newton's Third Law of Motion

Has me wondering if it'll be easier to break motor mounts now?

Good luck!

Might be. I also have the stronger motor mounts from Big Willy Jeep.
I do think a lot about how beefing up one spot moves the problem to another spot. That's one reason I haven't gone to a more stout tie rod. I'm afraid that a super strong tie rod would move the breakage to the ear on the steering knuckle or the bell crank. Trade offs, I suppose. 
I have dropped 5 quarts of oil on the trail from bashing holes in the pan or having the plug work loose. Besides being a big mess on the trail to clean up, it stops you in your tracks. I think one could figure out a way to limp home with a broken motor mount.
We'll see.

Edited by Ron D - 16 Apr. 2023 at 11:44am
1951 M38
1951 M100
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:32am
maybe true, but aesthetically the M38 wins. notice i did not say the CJ-3B is ugly Wink
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:27am
  And then, with that better frame, add 12 horsepower, with a couple of minor body modifications to make room for them, and you’ll have the absolute best flatfeder ever mass-produced. The great CJ3B!
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:28am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Just another Late 2A frame with modification........

Lee

.......to make it better. LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>