Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Cj2a
    Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 2:30am
This jeep was my Grampa's hunting vehicle in the 50's and 60's. It sat behind his garage and all us grandkids from the time we could walk sat in the thing and pretended to be driving somewhere or climbing some great mountain. That was in the 1960's. My uncles used and abused it in the 70's later parking it in a shed behind Grampa's house. Grampa died in 1980 so I ask my uncle's if I might take a crack at getting the thing running again. I had it in my garage for about 4 months,  then I up and joined the Air Force and moved away. The jeep then moved to an uncles house then a cousin's where they all did this or that to it, but never really improved it or got it going. Later another cousin moved it to his field to save it from the crusher. There it sat until I retired from the Air Force and am 6 years into a new carreer as a school librarian. Asked my cousin if he ever were to think about getting rid of it, to let me know because I would like to keep it in the family. He said "come and get it", so I did.  
The thing is in rought shape. Transmission is a box of rust. All seats are gone. Body had some rust holes and it seems like all the braces on the body are rotted out. There is a hard top with doors that go with it. I don't know if those tops are worth anything or not, and it hasn't been on the thing for years. Killed a few wasps and got stung by a few before I got them all cleared out.

Found these #'s:
Engine under the oil cleaner - GPW259679
tail gate - 156051
Patent Tab - 163469

Stan in Ogden, Utah

Edited by smfulle - 29 Apr. 2021 at 5:38pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 2:49am
she looks a lot better than the description....you got a ford ww2 gpw engine
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:12am
a lot better shape than mine was
Ed
cj2a lefty
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:12am
Yay! another Utah man! Welcome to the forum. I'm down in Taylorsville working on one of my own. Let me know if you need any help. I wish I still had a transmission I just sold to a guy in Logan for $50 a few months ago. I'll keep my eye out for ya. Good luck.
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:18am
Found a transmission and t-case from an early cj5 down in saratoga springs, $125 for both. You might be able to talk him down a bit.
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 6:41am
It can't be that bad, you can still put a spray can in front of the passenger seat and it doesn't end up on the ground. LOL Welcome. Regarding the GPW on the cylinder head, it could be someone put a WWII head on the stock engine, I've seen that a number of times. Pictures of the sides and the casting numbers on the block will tell for sure. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 1:38pm
nice jeep. i see it still has the reflector in the back. can you post a close up pic of it?
also it looks as though you have the solid rims.

Edited by ovrlnd - 07 Oct. 2010 at 1:38pm
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 4:58pm
welcome to the forum.  you have a far better starting spot than a lot of us, plus the memories to boot.  get some marvels mystery oil down the cyclinders and see if it will turn over by hand in a few days.  looks to be pretty darn complete minus the seats.

have fun!!

eric
Iowawillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowawillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 7:04pm
I like the patina!  Welcome looks like you have a nice one to start with.  Your transmission looks alot like the one I started with.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 8:07pm
So Iowawillys,

Did you save your gearbox in all or in part, or did you just chuck it for a different one. I have this one pulled apart now and I had to do a lot of banging to get the rusty gears off of the shafts and such. Just wondering if I should bother trying to fix it or if I should follow up on the lead that Captain gave on a transmission available not too far from me.

Stan
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 8:38pm
Also, I love how we have a word to describe our old rusty junk that makes it sound exotic looking, "patina."Cool
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 9:33pm
First ....... Welcome to the forum!

I'm not telling you what to do here but I would think you might want to start with a better tranny than that one. A full rebuild would mean all the internals would need to be replaced. I doubt there is anything inside that one that could be salvaged.

Just my $.02 worth.

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 1:43am
I agree with longhunter. For the cost of the mainshaft alone you could get several decent trannys
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 2:42am
Thanks for the input. This is my first jeep ever. My other project is a 59 Chevy pickup (also with nice patina). Also my transmission experience is zero. From what I've read, if you're going to rebuild a transmission, a T90 is a good place for a rookie to begin, but if decent ones are out there maybe that's the direction I'll go.

My plan for this jeep rignt now is to get her so she'll go, so she'll stop, and so she'll light up. I want to drive it. I don't have much money and I don't have many skills, but I want to do as much of this as I can myself. 

Attached is a close up of the one remaining reflector. I thought it looked like something one of my uncles had tacked on there. Is it more than that?  Also someone said that CPW on the engine block indicated a Ford type engine. Could the head with Willy's Jeep in raised letters be original to this type of engine?

Stan
Bobatwarsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobatwarsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 2:47am
Hi Stan
Welcome to the 2A Page. Your jeep doesnt look all that bad
I think that the  old white paint and and rust makes it look
worst than what it is LOL. I do belive that I would posabley
replace the tranny and transfer case.
Good luck with your project, and if you dont want that horn
just PM me Wink
Take care
Bob 
Take Care
Bob

<
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 2:55am
Stan,
Welcome to the page.  Get ready for an addictive hobby.
I put this up a while ago and didn't get much interest.  I sold a couple of things from the list.
Maybe you could use some of these parts.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Bobatwarsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobatwarsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 3:04am
JPN
Why do you think that he has a GPW engine?
Thanks Bob
Take Care
Bob

<
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 3:06am
Bob,
His serial number on the block starts GPW.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>