Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 40>
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2015 at 5:51pm
Stan, how much did each adapter end up weighing?

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2015 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

Stan, how much did each adapter end up weighing?

I didn't even think to weigh them. Again, more proof of my amateur  status.

The original lump of aluminum shipping weight was around 120 lbs
Divided by 4 = 30 lbs
At least 1/3 maybe as much as 1/2  machined off = 10 to 20 lbs.

That seems pretty close to what I was lifting last night when I was messing with them. The long studs probably add a pound or so to each one's total weight.

We tossed around punching the center hole clear through, but I though leaving some on the end would make it a little stronger.  I don't know anything about metal, tinsel strength and all that. I just know that the aluminum foil in our kitchen bends pretty easy.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2015 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

.... One of the reasons that I went this direction instead of bigger single tires (and it's not really a logical reason, more emotional I think) is I want Grampa's Jeep to be a 1948 CJ2A. Any mods that I make to it I want to be in the spirit of that vintage.......
I totally get it and I love it.  
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2015 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Check out my new dual wheel adapters. Ain't they Purdy!! 
My neighbor the machinist help me carve these out of a solid piece of round stock aluminum.

Joe DeYoung made the long studs for me.

smfuller/media/Grampas%20Jeep/20151202_182049_zpsabzkzkf0.jpg.html][/URL]

I took a little test drive around the block with all 4 duallys on.  I wouldn't want to do much street driving rigged up this way. The steering was a little stiff, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

I had to play musical tires a little bit because one of my extra wheels had a different offset that the other three and the tire wouldn't fit on the left rear. These extra tires are the 40 plus year old lumpy NDT's that were on Grampa's Jeep when I got it and they are worn more than my new set. I switched the tires on the left rear and put the old tire on the inside and the new tie on the outside. The bigger tire on the outside on the left and the inside on the right seemed to confuse my Lock-right locker and I had a little bit of an issue on any type of turn or curve.

Overall I am pretty pleased with how these things look and I am pumped to try them out on sand and snow.

Grampa's CJ2A sure looks great. With a locking rear that thing will climb a greased pole. Nice job. Joe DeYoung helped me out with the studs too.
My "Gray Mule" loves them and even with an open rear I now can make it through the mud bogs at my place. Even with a load of firewood on board.
Before the rear duals I would to sink past my axles.
Duals Rule!

Edited by 3-48s - 23 Dec. 2015 at 9:53pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
BlueBaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2015 at 10:44pm
Smfulle gets the cleanest shop award.
-Dave
CJ-3A 1953
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 4:53pm

Over the holidays I took Grampa’s Jeep, equipped with the dual wheels on all four corners, for a test ride on some snow. The snow on the road we tried was dry powder snow, packed by snowmobiles. Off of the packed road it was soft and deep, no crust, just good old Rocky Mountain powder about a foot and a half deep.

I was actually pretty disappointed in how the dual wheel NDT’s performed on the snow. It almost felt like the NDT’s on the packed powder were acting like slicks rather that any type of traction tire. The solid bar in the center of the NDT seemed to keep any of the lugs from biting in to the snow at all. I am pretty certain that my wife’s all-wheel –drive Hyundai Santa Fe could have made a better go of it on that particular surface.  At one point I got one wheel off the packed part of the road and was immediately sucked in and stuck in the deep powder.

This experience has me rethinking my tire setup.

I have been pretty set in keeping NDT’s  on Grampa’s Jeep because they just look right. I feel that fatter, modern tires take away from the look of a CJ2A that is still trying to be a CJ2A and not something else. Just as one would probably not put big performance tires on a Model T that was still a Model T and not a hot rod that had some Model T roots.  (I like them both, but they are different vehicles.)

The NDT’s have performed well for me climbing slick rock and I have the most fun when I am rock climbing, but there is usually some sand dunes or at least loose sandy trails around the rocks, and I thought that the dual wheel set up might help me avoid getting bogged down in the sand. I still haven’t had an opportunity to test the dual wheels on the sand so hopefully I will get some positive results there.

I don’t do a lot of winter wheeling, but I had hope that the dual wheels would help. Last spring we were on this same road but the snow was different. It had daytime melt and night freezing so there was a thick crust on the top. My partner with big wide tires on his Wrangler stayed on top of the crust, while I broke through with my single NDT’s, so there may still be some winter usefulness for the dual wheels, but not on packed powder or icy conditions.

Like I said, I am now pondering my tire choices and wondering if I should go a different direction. I could maybe try siping and see if that makes a difference. I don’t want to do anything that would hurt my rock climbing performance, but man I hate it that a Samaria with chubby street tires can beat me on a snow covered road.  

This picture is from last spring when the tires broke through the crust and the frame was sitting on it so I could go nowhere.

This is how stuck you can get in the loose sand with NTD’s

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 5:21pm
Thanks for the update.  I bet those duals work better in sand and mud but i was afraid they might be a problem in snow due to the way they displace weight.  I know my 1 ton dually is terrible on slick roads.

I am in the same boat as you.  I want NDTs and I actually think it is fun trying to figure out how to make NDTs optimal.  I'm still messing around with my tires but I plan to sipe mine as well.  This is one of Bob W's pics:

I'm going to start with these sipes and see how it goes.  

When there is plenty of snow on the ground I'll just use chains but its the times when some of the roads are plowed and some are not that I have to figure out.  I feel confident that I can navigate flat roads with snow but I have to go up and down some hills on the way to work and driving skill does not help when you are going up and down hills other than the skill of knowing not to try it  I'm following your posts with great interest.

Edit:  Hang with the NDTs.  I need your research!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 5:31pm
Thanks Jeff,
I know we have had some siping discussions on here before. I'll have to search it out. I am inexperienced enough not to know how siping really helps and if it affects the tire life or wear.  Lots of things floating around in my head right now about tires, but not enough knowledge and experience to figure it out.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 6:05pm
Well you still have to get the NDTs to bite but I kinda like what kketchmark was saying about having two different tires sizes.  If you put 6.00-16s on the outside, your 7.00-16 would be on the pavement with all the weight on them.  This way, you would have your dual wheels in the sand to help you stay on top,  but when you are on flat snow, they would not displace the weight.  Your 7.00-16s would have the load and maybe the duals would be more of an assist.  Just a thought.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 8:09pm
Les Schwab, a tire chain here in the west, does siping. Just called them. They charge $15 a tire at the local store here.  They have a description of how it works and such on their web site. Seriously considering this.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 8:28pm
What Bob bid can be done with a utility knife.  I like them because they are slits, not grooves, and they pass the 20 foot test:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 9:01pm
I'd probably cut my thumb off with a utility knife.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 9:45pm
Siping is hard to see at 5 ft. They are razor thin cuts in the tires surface. All our cars have Les Schwab Siped tires on them My Dakota has 72K on a set of 235/75R-15's that were the economy choice when I bought them. While I don't do a lot of driving on snow and Ice those few times I have the tires on the Pickup work very well.

I would not run tires on any of my rigs without it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 10:09pm
Thanks for chiming in Mark.
Being from Oregon, you probably know Les personally. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 10:14pm
It's much safer to use a heated tire draw knife than a razor blade.

The blades can be chosen to remove zero, , up to an inch.

I support siping, but their claims are a bit inaccurate.

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2016 at 10:16pm
Les was a great guy, but now that he's gone his organization is 'different'.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 2:35am
I was out in the garage putting away some tools and straightening up from my Easter Jeep Safari experience. I finally decided to install the genuine imitation Warn shifter knob that I got a few months ago from Dave onto my genuine imitation Warn overdrive that I got this winter from Herm. I think it looks pretty good. I also took some advice I got from Joe Friday while in Moab and bent the shift handle so that 2nd gear on the transmission shifter, and overdrive on the overdrive shifter are close together so if one is inclined to split gears with a compound shift from 2 overdrive to 3 direct drive, you can do it with one hand on both knobs at the same time and one press of the clutch. My overdrive shifter is a bit short to make it a perfect set up for that, but I think I will be able to work it with a bit of practice.

I also put the stickers from the Flat Fender Fun Run on some magnets and stick them to my dash along with my thecj2apage.com magnet (thanks Chad).

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 7:18pm
Spent a couple of days trying to fix some transfer case leaks. Put in a new rear seal and a speedy sleeve on the companion flange. Dropped the pan and changed the gasket. I used a gasket I had left over from a set for rebuild I did a few years ago. It didn't look like that great of a gasket, but I put some rtv on both sides of it and bolted it up. Haven't run it yet, but here's how it's working out so far.
This is just two days worth of sitting

Yesterday I was in Logan, Utah, the home of Novak Conversions and I picked up one of their billet t-case pans. This pan is a little deeper than the stock pan and a lot stiffer. Hopefully I won't be able warp this thing when I tighten it up. I also am not sure if it will interfere with the skid plate. I won't have time to do anything with it until next week, so we will see.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 40>