Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 3:55pm
I like it!

Looks like that will work well for you.

The 3-ply skid plate also makes me smile... Smile

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

I like it!

Looks like that will work well for you.

The 3-ply skid plate also makes me smile... Smile

Well, I bent the 2 ply up into the front drive line on the Rubicon. So I flattened it out and added another layer. I tied them together better as well. Figured it couldn't hurt. 

And as I have said before, I use more weight below the frame as my rollover protection. Wink
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 4:33pm
   Ha, with all that weight hanging underneath, it will disguise your ability to get traction from all of that "ballast" down-under.

I do like your effort into protecting things, because what always happens is this -

You are feeling great, and having such terrific confidence in your rig, that you grin at your buddies and say "Hey ya'all watch This !

....... and that is when the "trail-wrenching" begins ..... Right !

hahahaha ......... i'm Guilty, and have wound up in the hospital as a result.

Nice Work on the "ballast" !

Oh too, international Scouts in the '70's used to have a piece of angle-iron bolted to the Tie-Rod to prevent it from getting bent in the advent of Kissing rocks. I've never used one.
   But on my CJ-7, I fabricated a bolt-on skid plate that runs from just under the front bumper to the tie-rod. The bottom at the rear, is slightly below the tie-rod, so if I encounter an unseen rock the plate will hopefully protect the tie-rod.
   It has worked for 16-trips through the Rubicon so far.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 4:32am
In this picture you can see an issue that I have had with the license plate mounted in the stock location. Every time I go over a mall speed bump my plate gets bent. This particular damage happened on The Gatekeeper obstacle on the Grizzly Lake trail. Also in this photo you can see the spot where a plate was fastened to the tailgate either by my Grampa or one of my uncles.

For last year’s Rubicon adventure I made this spare/jerry can carrier. For the Rubicon I left the license plate in the stock location and not far into the trail, the plate was torn clear off and I carried it loose in the bed for the rest of the trip. After the Rubicon I made a little bracket to mount the plate on the spare.

For the upcoming Easter Jeep Safari in Moab we might try some trails that are a little more challenging that some we’ve seen to date so I decided I don’t want to have that extra weight hanging on the back, therefore I’m not going to run with the spare/jerry can carrier in Moab this time. 
So I decided to mount the license plate in the nostalgic spot, screwed crooked to the tailgate just like Grampa did.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 4:54am
Love the nostalgia Smile . . I also remove license plate from stock location when entering danger zone.    
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 9:41pm
I have my license plate in the stock location.  I haven't been to anywhere near the malls you have, Stan, and the only real damage my plate has came from the 2015 FCT, when JPet let someone who shall remain unnamed drive BAM BAM.  He was close behind me when we stopped and he thought he'd grabbed reverse.   Fortunately the rope on BAM BAM's front bumper just put a gentle curve in my plate, which obviously helped the aerodynamics of the Jeep after that. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 2:31pm
I like it there best of allClap

Just looks at home, a piece of the over all history that makes Grandpas jeep so awesome. 

Can’t wait to see pics of your next adventure. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

I like it there best of allClap

Just looks at home, a piece of the over all history that makes Grandpas jeep so awesome. 

Can’t wait to see pics of your next adventure. 

Come down to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari and you can take some of those pictures. If you can't bring a jeep, I'm sure we could find you a ride.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 7:37pm
Thanks for the offer. 
I won’t be able to make it this year Cry
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 1:19am
Spent the last couple of days doing a little maintainence and prep work for our upcoming trip to Moab.

First thing I did was replace the pinion seal in the rear axle. The thing had been leaking like crazy. When I pulled the yoke the thing was pretty messed up so I put a Seedi Sleeve on before reinstalling. 

Next thing I did is install my new u-bolt skid plates on 5he rear axle. I already did the front axle u-bolt skid plates.

Here’s the passenger side.

Here’s the passenger side, See any difference?

As I was tightening up the new u-bolts, the drivers side had a lot more extra threads hanging out. At first I couldn’t figure out what the deal was. Did I get two different sizes of u-bolts?

Nope. Turns out the passenger side has 10 leaves and the drivers side has 7. I wonder if I lost a few short ones last year without noticing when the center pin on that spring broke at The Black Hills Run. Either that or I’ve been driving this things for 5 p,us years and never noticed it. 

Either way, I’m not too observant.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 4:10pm
I pointed that out to you while you were making the repairs at the BHR. You must have been a little preoccupied and don’t remember 😯
Glen
49 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

I pointed that out to you while you were making the repairs at the BHR. You must have been a little preoccupied and don’t remember 😯

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, so it's not uprising that I can't remember that. Confused

Ran the Rubicon that way and didn't notice any problem, so I guess I'll just leave it until it starts to bug me. I'll probably forget about it by next week anyway. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 6:20pm
Looks like the drivers side springs are not beveled like the passenger side and the 6th or 7th spring isn't correct on the passenger side either. Maybe someone made an emergency repair at one time. It should have 9 leaves for standard and 11 if HD were used.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 6:54pm
looks like your missing the passenger axle bumper also.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2018 at 4:21am
Originally posted by CBAUER CBAUER wrote:

looks like your missing the passenger axle bumper also.

The rubber part is missing for sure.  Looks like maybe the plate is still there.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 2:45am
That just makes it ride better on the driver's side.  

Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, so it's not uprising that I can't remember that. Confused

Ran the Rubicon that way and didn't notice any problem, so I guess I'll just leave it until it starts to bug me. I'll probably forget about it by next week anyway. 
If I remember correctly you said something along those lines then. It’s working and I never noticed it 😁
Glen
49 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 3:08am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I can't remember what I had for breakfast,  Confused

Ran the Rubicon that way and didn't notice any problem 

Are you sure? Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 40>