Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 40>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 12:06am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

I was wondering why you don't remove the draw bar...wouldn't that solve that issue for most of the time?

I considered that, then decided that I’d rather have a crash on the drawbar than on the spring and shackle. I did take off the tab for the tow ball. That eliminated a few back jarring crunches.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 12:21am
I just went through that on my latest build and decided the draw bar without the triangle hitch plate is ideal for protecting the rear springs and shackles.
Don't really need the hitch plate anyway because the 134 is too small to pull a trailer at speed.
Plus it's an ideal platform for mounting of needed spare tires and fuel cans etc...

Stan, what gearing and crawl ratios are you running these days ? 
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 3:38am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Well......
I’m really bad at math so you probably can tell me better than I can tell you.
I have the t90c along with the Tera Low gears in my d18. I think that puts my low, low at 50 something to one.

Whatever it is, it works for me. I don’t get quite the slow crawl style points that Jeff gets, but he and I pretty much go the same places.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 3:45am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Well......
I’m really bad at math so you probably can tell me better than I can tell you.
I have the t90c along with the Tera Low gears in my d18. I think that puts my low, low at 50 something to one.

Whatever it is, it works for me. I don’t get quite the slow crawl style points that Jeff gets, but he and I pretty much go the same places.

Yea, but you get extra points for driving a Willys, Stan.Clap 
Jeff gets a point deduction for driving a Chebby.Wink
Tom
1949 CJ3A

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 2:19am
Just posting my 2918 Rubicon damage video here for future reference.

Also, I missed one bit of damage in the video. 
Just before heading out to California I fitted a brand new fan shroud extension. Last year my extension got turned into a pretzel the 1st few hundred yards of the trail. This year I had a little fan touching noise at about the same place and it turned out the fan had carved out a little extra space for itself. I’m leaving it like that.

Edited by smfulle - 16 Aug. 2018 at 3:01am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 2:38am
You could always take some heavy wall pipe and cut a little half moon or less section out and weld it onto the oil pan skid just below the drain plug. Angle it down a tad so the oil with still flow out onto it and this should protect it. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 6:28am
I’ve been driving Grampa’s Jeep to work most days the past couple of weeks. I started to notice some torque steer. Pulling left under power, pulling right when coasting. 

I have had an epic summer of jeeping. I’ve run some of the toughest trails out there, Moab’s Hell’s Revenge including The Escalator and Hell’s Gate several times, Hal Johns in South Dakota, The Rubicon, Moab and Ouray Colorado all in one week. All this without much serious breakage, well ok, a broken tierod on Hal Johns but Jpet trail welded that for me so that doesn’t count. Also some great scenic  rides in places like Northern Colorado. 
But driving less than a mile to work on pavement I start to have this issue.

At first I thought it was just dragging brakes. After I pulled the rears all apart, replaced the wheel cylinders and cleaned and greased up the anchor points and eccentrics, upon reassembly, still the same problem.

Pulled everything back apart, this tim pulling the axles and ring gear. Here’s what I found.

Not only is the drive axle broken, but the carrier is cracked.

Trail run planned for next Saturday so I spent today, after I tore this apart to find the real issue, scrambling to find another axle. By about nine o’clock I had a replacement sitting in the garage but was too tired to work on it any more today. Got some hustling to do this week to make Saturday. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 6:36am
Too much HP from you L head!!!
Jay
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 11:30am
.... a Prius does not even have a rear axle... right Ward .... just sayin’
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 11:36am
There is a sticker on the dash of a '62 IH Scout. They came stock with a rear powerlock locker. It says: engauge the front warn hubs and use 4 wheel drive to reduce the possibility of damaging or breaking a rear axle on trails that require 4 wheel drive. (wider dana 27's)

Makes me wonder about driving in 2 wheel low with the interlock pin removed for easier steering. 

I also noticed the bottom of the left rear brake plate. It was flat like it ground along on pavement. I believe they already broke a axle and lost a wheel at one time. 

Seeing your damage confirms this. When you beef things up and then go stress the Jeep, the weak link shows up. Factory design and engineering has it's limits. We are finding them. So, if you put in heavier axles, what breaks next???????Confused

Lee said "I'll bet it was the long side that broke" in Rick Clines Jeep in the big horns. It was. Seems that side usually goes first. your broken case is the first time I've seen that. WOW!!!!

I've been wondering about using our Willys for rock crawling, and then hit the highway at speed and having something like this show up at the wrong time. Glad you investigated. John

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 09 Sep. 2018 at 11:40am
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 12:03pm
If you would have used Grandpa’s Jeep for its intended purpose ... (running around Europe shooting Nazis) ... This would have never happened!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 12:54pm
It would have happened, but it would have been an MB with a full floater so Stan wouldn't have needed to jack up the jeep to replace the axle shaft...

Stan, I've done the same thing in my 49 3A twice. Both times it was a hard right turn on dry pavement in 2 wheel low and the lockright didn't release.

Send it back and order a lockleft this time.
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 11:26pm

I’ve been driving Grampa’s Jeep to work most days the past couple of weeks. I started to notice some torque steer. Pulling left under power, pulling right when coasting. Pulled everything back apart, this tim pulling the axles and ring gear. Here’s what I found.

Rough commute!

I hope your axle thrash is going well and you're able to get out there next weekend.  Looking forward to the next Moab video!  
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 6:05am
Got the new axle all in and buttoned up by working until I couldn’t move on it last night then a few more hours tonight. 
Took it out to the new subdivision construction site nearby for a test drive and found this guy high centered on the new curb. Grampa’s Jeep to the rescue.

After we finished our super hero routine we went over to a big steep dirt pile and pulled up on it, 
I put it in 2wd low, pulled the throttle out just enough to keep the wheels turning without stalling, then jumped out and took this moving picture.
Yippee I’m back in action! Moab here we come!

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 8:38am

..... Moab here we come!....
You’re going to Moab?... I’m SO jealous!!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 12:51pm
Stan, your video reminded me of a time when I got stuck in a snow filled ditch with my '48 CJ2A. I couldn't quite make it over the rise on to the road. I drove it to the apex and while the Jeep was spinning, I set the hand throttle, got out and pushed. It worked. You then get to chase it down the road. The low crawl ratio in Grampa's Jeep would help with that---------Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 1:04pm
You did well. I was heading off to Moab after I bought my house. I just needed a few days away from the paperwork and decided to visit friends in Avon CO on the way. I broke an axle driving on the frontage road? It sort of destroyed that trip. I ended up in Farmington NM to help a friend pour some concrete. We laughed as we ended up pouring so much concrete that we wanted to put in landing lights for planes. We went for an afternoon play time as the concrete is setting up. I didn't know that you can break 8 grade 8 bolts in a Powerlock? We found parts and I got home.
uncamonkey
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 1:29pm

I’ve been driving Grampa’s Jeep to work most days the past couple of weeks. I started to notice some torque steer. Pulling left under power, pulling right when coasting. 

I have had an epic summer of jeeping. I’ve run some of the toughest trails out there, Moab’s Hell’s Revenge including The Escalator and Hell’s Gate several times, Hal Johns in South Dakota, The Rubicon, Moab and Ouray Colorado all in one week. All this without much serious breakage, well ok, a broken tierod on Hal Johns but Jpet trail welded that for me so that doesn’t count. Also some great scenic  rides in places like Northern Colorado. 
But driving less than a mile to work on pavement I start to have this issue.

At first I thought it was just dragging brakes. After I pulled the rears all apart, replaced the wheel cylinders and cleaned and greased up the anchor points and eccentrics, upon reassembly, still the same problem.

Pulled everything back apart, this tim pulling the axles and ring gear. Here’s what I found.

Trail run planned for next Saturday so I spent today, after I tore this apart to find the real issue, scrambling to find another axle. By about nine o’clock I had a replacement sitting in the garage but was too tired to work on it any more today. Got some hustling to do this week to make Saturday. 

Hi Stan

Where do you get/find parts to replace the broken stuff???

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 40>