Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 40>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 11:16am
I'd definitely be writing a strongly worded letter Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

It’s pretty apparent that Novak aftermarket transfer case pan was just too much for your stock jeep.Wink

I was thinking something similar ->  it was not light taps on rocks,  it was carrying all that extra weight of added skid plates that overloaded the crossmember. Tongue
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

It’s pretty apparent that Novak aftermarket transfer case pan was just too much for your stock jeep.Wink

I was thinking something similar ->  it was not light taps on rocks,  it was carrying all that extra weight of added skid plates that overloaded the crossmember. Tongue

So you’re saying I’ve voided the warranty?
Lame! Nobody stands by their stuff any more.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:36am
I watched the video.  You drove up on that rock about a hundred times.  You stopped in the exact same place every time, too.  Great driving!  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 1:57pm
I always wanted a look at the bottom of Grandpa's Jeep, now I know all the noise from the videos were not sound effects editted in later. Confused 
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 11:03pm
One of these things is not like the other.

Here’s the broken cross member next to my replacement. Just waiting on the new transfer case mount and I’ll be trail ready again.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:04am
Can't keep a good jeep down. Let us know how the crossmember repair goes, Stan.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:42am
I would have thought you’d have fixed the old one. A little of this and that. It could be better than new. Albeit a little bit heavier 

Bet your still thinking about it. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

I would have thought you’d have fixed the old one. A little of this and that. It could be better than new. Albeit a little bit heavier

Stan does require certain aspects of Grampa's Jeep to be pristine.  Not a lot of aspects, but some.  Wink
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 2:51am
I noticed that he does keep his shifter knobs polished up through use
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Bet your still thinking about it. 

I was going to fix the old one, then I got a generous offer of a replacement. This broken one is actually my 2nd one. The original got really mangled before I made and installed my custom cross member skid plates.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 4:34am
I knew it. I just couldn’t see you giving up on something just because it’s old. Kinda like us
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 3:57am
On the same trail (Poison Spider) that I broke the crossmember on, I also broke a rear spring shackle.  I have never had any rear shackle trouble until I removed the protection of the draw bar. Removing the draw bar has reduced, in a major way, the back and kidney jarring crashes that I would get dropping off of rock steps and ledges, but I still do get an occasional smash where the spring and shackle take a pretty big hit.
I don’t really like changing a broken shackle on the train so I’m going to try these shackles with the side plate. I think they are M38 issue, but they fit my stock springs just fine. Time will tell if they make a difference or not.

Hopefully the Jeep police will not kick me out of the Locker-Stocker Class. Tongue

Edited by smfulle - 03 Aug. 2019 at 4:00am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 4:55am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Hopefully the Jeep police will not kick me out of the Locker-Stocker Class. Tongue

You might be pushing the envelope Wink

Wilson's brand new shackles were no longer "C" shaped after Rubicon. Ouch   I put some new ones on, and bent those trying to follow BamBam around Rausch Creek.  (not near as badly bent,  but still noticeable).   They are exposed for sure.

I have considered some like those with side plates,  but like the look of stock ones better.  Also wonder if the side plates take some flexibility out of the suspension in the twisties.   I might have to switch though,  not fun to have to keep fixing them.

I have bent but never broken.   Where do they break when it happens?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 5:22am

I have bent but never broken.   Where do they break when it happens?

In my experience (two broken shackles, 1 rear, 1 front) both shackles have broken right at the top elbow.

I’ve got a bent spring on the drivers front so I’m going to change out my front springs and put these shackles on the front as well. Hopefully they help me avoid future breakage.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2019 at 2:05am
Stock "C" shackles pivot on the greased internal thread.  Do these shackle pivot on the external (ungreased) thread?  Seems like it would have to,  because the side plates appear to tie the upper and lower hex heads into a solid assembly.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2019 at 5:10am

Stock "C" shackles pivot on the greased internal thread.  Do these shackle pivot on the external (ungreased) thread?  Seems like it would have to,  because the side plates appear to tie the upper and lower hex heads into a solid assembly.

These shackles work exactly like the stock shackles. The plate is bolted to the inner shackle shaft and butts up against a little shoulder. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2019 at 1:24pm
Ahhh,  makes sense now.   I mis-interpreted the photos.   I did not realize that the shackle legs go all the way thru the "bushings" AND have a shoulder on the leg.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 40>