Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A on 5x9 U-Haul Trailer? Is it possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A on 5x9 U-Haul Trailer? Is it possible?
    Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 1:50pm
I purchased a 1948 Willy's CJ2A and am planning on picking it up tomorrow and towing it home on a trailer. I know from past experiences that the Jeep is a little too narrow to fit on U-Haul's normal car hauler because the tracks are too spaced apart and I would feel safer with it on a trailer with a solid floor, instead of tracks. U-haul also rents a 5x9 trailer with a solid floor and walls, but no top, which is used for transporting golf carts and the like. I know the forum here says the Jeep is 80" long and 49" wide, so I should be fine with the length of the trailer, but I am worried about the width. Has anyone ever used one of these trailers before? U-Haul also rents a 6x12 trailer, which I know the Jeep will fit on, but if I can save a little money on the 5x9, I would love to do so! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Herrick
Proud owner of a "new to me" 1948 Willy's CJ2A

Edited by herrickd - 07 Oct. 2010 at 1:57pm
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 2:03pm

The maximum payload on the trailer is vital.  I think it's probably a single axle trailer.  Dual axle would be better, but I have seen them hauled in an enclosed Uhaul of similar size.  You will probably need to back the jeep in so  that the weight of the engine is rearward and over the axle.  Speed of travel should also be reduced.  Don't try to move down the highway @ 65- 70, but more along the 50-55 mph.  With that in mind, the distance you'll be hauling becomes a factor.  Be prepared to make the return trip at a slower pace.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
herrickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have decided to go with the dual-axle 6x12 trailer, which has a payload of right about 2500lbs. I should be good to go as I only have to travel about 70 miles. I always take my time. :-) Thanks again!
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 2:07pm
the jeep will fit on a 5X9, but only a flat style trailer, not one with walls, or obstructions higher than the bumpers....

i used to haul on an open 6 1/2' X 14' trailer, length wise i was fine, side to side i barely had 6 +/- inches on each side....

a 2A is 59" wide by 122 3/4" long........

save yourself a headache, and rent an appropriate size trailer....i seriously doubt a 5X9 has the weight load ratio suffecient for a 2A to properly tow with....

just my 2 cents....

and welcome to the site.....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

herrickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 2:31pm
Thanks lowenuf. I have decided to go with a 6x12 utility trailer with ramps from U-Haul just to be safe!
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:02pm
Just don't tell them you're going to put a vehicle on it, I made the mistake of telling them I was going to use it to haul my toolbox and they wouldn't rent it to me.Ermm It had to do with the rated load capacity.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:03pm
Don't forget the tie downs.... If it isn't a car trailer you are going to have to rig up your own. BTW the modern U hauls fit the jeep fine..

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

herrickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:20pm
I've got some tie downs and thanks for the link. Interesting, because I rented a car hauler like the one in the link about 2 years ago to haul a rusty old '48 CJ2A, and it barely fit on the tracks. Of course it was all much rougher on me because I had no help getting it up on the trailer and eventually had to rig up my come-along to winch it up there. My "new" Willy's runs and drives, so this should be much easier. (Cross my fingers and knock on wood!)
herrickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:22pm
10-4 bkreutz! Thanks for the warning!
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 5:23pm
My old local U-haul had the 6X12 Utility trailer with the short sides and the small tailgate. I would rent it to haul Jeeps all the time. Like Gale said don't tell them its for a Jeep! I would just lower the tailgate and drive right up on it close the tailgate and a couple of tie downs to stop it rolling around and your all set. It's way cheaper to rent than the car trailer and cause it was a local rental only they always had them in the yard ready to rent.
Maker of the Reedkini
herrickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 7:07pm
trader_reed! Thanks! All of you guys are awesome! What a great community to become a part of!

I have a 6x12 Utility Trailer reserved and ready for me to pick up from my local U-Haul tomorrow. Shhh...don't tell them I am hauling my Willy's!
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 7:57pm

My '46 fits on my 6x12 just fine. I don't drive over 65mph. No problems!

V.S.C.

Very Special Cargo!

Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
herrickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 8:28pm
Awesome picture Tyler! The best of old and new!
thelaserman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelaserman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 8:35pm
the cj fits on the standard car carier too.  I trailered mine 3 times on it no problems.  did 300miles on the first trip
herrickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 8:41pm
The 6x12 Utility Trailer is MUCH cheaper! :) Thanks!
Wavy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 7:19pm
I rented a U Haul car trailer for my CJ2A and hauled it 350 miles. It Fit on the trailer fine and I never had any problems. The tire tie down straps fit fine.
Do it now, think later!

1945 CJ2A

1947 CJ
1974 CJ5
1999 Commanche P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply