Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Pump Instalation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pump Instalation
    Posted: 17 Nov. 2010 at 4:47am
Has anyone have pictures of the 9:30 and 11:00 oclock position when instaling the oil pump. I am confused.    F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2010 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by F.T.S. F.T.S. wrote:

Has anyone have pictures of the 9:30 and 11:00 oclock position when instaling the oil pump. I am confused
So am I Confused.  Not sure what you're referring to: distributor?  pump shaft slot?  pump body?

Sean
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2010 at 4:54pm
Most probably asking for picture of oil pump shaft slot postion for proper timing.
willys jeep
F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2010 at 2:44am
Yesthe oil pump slot as it sits in the engine.
F.T. Stewart
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2010 at 1:39pm

Yesthe oil pump slot as it sits in the engine.
OK.  That's going to depend on the distributor model.  See this post:

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/installing-dist-oil-pump-question_topic14257.html

That assumes a stock distributor.

Simplest thing to do: hold the distributor the way you want it to sit in the engine, turn the rotor so it's pointing to #1 (assuming #1 at TDC compression), and note the alignment of the tab on the end of the shaft.

Then install the pump so the slot is oriented the same as the tab.

Sean
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2010 at 2:23pm
After looking at many distributor positions set up during assembly my conclusion is people are going about this  backwards not taking into consideration the position of the distributor body when done. This will lead to problems (clearance and movement) during final timing adjustment. The factory position of the distributor body after installation was with the cap clamps parallel to the block.

To achieve this position use this method. The caveat here is the the rest of the engine is assembled correctly. Crank, cam, and flywheel in proper relationship with flywheel marks coming to the window when #1 is at TDC on compression stroke.

First with #1 at TDC on compression stroke and with oil pump and distributor removed........
1) Slide in distributer temporarily, loose not clamped
2) Manually spin the rotor to be aiming at the #1 firing position (approximately 5:00 o'clock)
3) Rotate distributer body so cap claps will be parallel to block (keeeping rotor position at 5:00)
4) Remove distributor and note postition of offset key at the end of the distributer shaft
5) Rotate oil pump shaft to match offset key of distributor shaft when installed
6) Slide oil pump into position mating it with the cam gear that drives the pump
7) Use a flashlight to look down distributor hole and observe offset key position. Is it at the correct orientation to match your distributor offset? If so install distributor. If not slide out oil pump and rotate shaft to achieve proper positioning.

One thing to remember is the pump gear is helical, the cam teeth straight so the pump will rotate one cam tooth during installation. Simply rotate the pump shaft/gear to accomodate this and reinstall. There is only one mating position that will result in correct installation. Continue untill you achieve that relationship. Not that hard really.

Once the pump is properly oriented slide in the distributor and clamp down. Now the rotor should be aimed at #1 and the cap clamps parallel to the block. This is the correct assembly which sets "static" timing and will allow ample rotational clearance for final timing adjustment if needed.

WFB 
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2010 at 3:46am
Sean and all you who took the time to solve my distributor problem I truely thank you. Your information was right on. After reading all your input I started from scratch. I had my distributor rebuilt from a guy in Calif. My distributor is a IAD. If I set the timing to the spects of the IAD the engine would not run. I did the trick with the flashlight and nothen lined up. HOWEVER I set the spects to the IGW series distributor by clocking the oil pump the engine started right up and runs great. Thanks again for all your help.

F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 2:37pm

... HOWEVER I set the spects to the IGW series distributor by clocking the oil pump the engine started right up and runs great ...
That's interesting.  Any chance you (or anyone) can send me a pic of the underside of the IAD rotor?

F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 10:34pm
Sean, No I have no pictures. Makes no differance same thing happened as last time. I started engine getting ready to set timeing with a light. Started to miss and died. Compression test showed 0 in #2 cyl. Last time it was #4 cyl.  Valve stuck in open position in valve guide. New guides and new valves. This will be 3rd time engine will come apart. This engine does not like me. I have everything else on my 48CJ2A done and ready to go. I think my machine shop has a problem.

F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
 Post Reply Post Reply