Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canvas tops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SnorriS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnorriS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canvas tops
    Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 10:26pm
Did you ever start producing this style top?
48 in process
Pops47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pops47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 12:33am
Did you ever make these? Do you have any available?
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 7:10pm
I just this moment sent you a pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 7:03pm
Yes, Mine has the flap. I sent you a pm with my contact info a few days ago.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 7:03pm
I tried to post a reply but somehow it showed up under a different thread. I'm confused to say the least. I came across a picture of a top on a yellow cj that I assume you made. 2 piece, front half or full. That is exactly what I want. 
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2019 at 6:54pm
Whatever you choose to make, I would want one (I want them all). Could you make the top (which I believe would be called a "Summer Top") with a zipper so that it would work as a half top and a full length top. Before anybody gets excited, I know that that would create a leak spot due to the fasteners although that could be cured with a flap over the zipper and fasteners. I had a top exactly like that I designed (I didnt sew it) on a boat. It worked quite well. I would love to see drawings like this one for any top you are considering making.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 9:06pm
Yes, I still make tops but I don’t advertise. I’ll send you a pm.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Leatherneck Leatherneck wrote:

you know if jpeg still making those tops
jpet is still making tops. 

He's been out to the Fall Color Tour so probably hasn't seen this yet. 
Send him a PM and he'll get back to you.

Be sure and read his disclaimer four posts above this.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 12:43am
HEY
THIS TOP THAT IS PICTURED HERE,LET ME KNOW MORE ABOUT COST,FOR 1946 CJ2A.
THANKS

Joe B.
'46 CJ2A South Texas
Leatherneck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 1:57pm
you know if jpeg still making those tops
David
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2018 at 4:08pm
LOL...that's one hell of a disclaimer.

Lets see.
1. I think Tan Sunbrella is my preference, but OD cotton duck is groovy, too.
2. My jeep runs and drives - see my thread.
3. I'll want a top in the next month or so.
4. I don't plan on running doors
5. Payment would be paid up front, no problem. I'd like an estimate on shipping before I buy, just like any other purchase, tho. :) 92019 is my zip.
6. Be happy to chat via PM about your prices and timeline for either a sunbrella or OD cotton top. I'd be looking for something with roll-up rear sides, but that's not a dealbreaker if you aren't offering that setup.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 7:20pm
I used that material up years ago.

I still make various tops. It's best to PM me and tell me what you are looking for. Here is some information about my services:

Sunbrella is a great fabric for tops, but I prefer to make tops from #8 OD cotton duck. This is simply because I have 100 yard roll(s) of OD canvas, so if I make a mistake, (which happens often), I can cut off another piece, make it over, and use the messed up piece to make something else. I don't buy Sunbrella by the bolt because not everyone wants the same colors so I have to try to calculate how much I need on each job, shipping for 5-10 yards at a time adds up, and if I make a mistake, the part is junk and I have to eat it.

Usually when it comes to Sunbrella, I wait till I get 3 or 4 orders for the same color before I commit to a job. Sunbrella is much more expensive than OD cotton duck but yes, it is a very good fabric.

I don't advertise because I am a hobbyist. My customers know that I will work on their order when I have time, but they will get it when they get it. Life gets in the way and yes, wheeling takes precedence over sewing. That being said, I will respond to emails and phone calls and I will give you realistic progress reports.

I don't like to compete with professionals who make tops for a living. If you can get the same thing from a professional vendor for a reasonable price in a reasonable time frame, I would prefer you to go to them since this is their bread and butter. I don't make military stuff unless it is something you can't get for somewhere else,.... or if you have a Jeep part that I really need

Running jeeps that are being used take precedence over project jeeps. If you order a top from me for your project, and someone orders one from me that is ready to use it, I will likely stop on the project jeep order and do the running jeep order. Truthfully, I would prefer that you do not order a top from me till you are ready for it.

Door hardware:
I do NOT install door handles. When you send your doors, and rods, do NOT send me your handles. Make sure your doors and rods are clean and painted, i.e. NO rusty doors). I only sew canvas. I don't do hardware assembly that the customer can do themselves. Some people buy doors from Walcks and have them shipped directly to me. to save shipping charges. These doors are unfinished. I will paint them with rattle can primer and paint. If you want something better, you need to paint them yourself.

Payment: The official rule is, you pay the full balance up-front and when I'm ready to ship, I contact you with the shipping charges. That being said, I understand that economics can be tight sometimes and in those cases, I will work with you. I want your jeep to have a canopy. From time to time, I trade for parts and services.

..... so, if those terms are acceptable, I'm your guy.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

OK here's what we got going on.  trader_reed has 20 yards of black Sunbrella, 20 yards of tan Sunbrella, straps and binding.  I thinking maybe I should take care of the Reedikini and duster crowd (1 or 2 waves), after that, we can revisit the original canvas top group.  This way we can get a large group of members out of the rain quicker.

so now there are 5 options.  Pricing is still an estimate:
1. Sunbrella Reedikini (black or tan)          $150
2. #8 Canvas Reedikini (olive drab)           $125
3. Sunbrella 1 piece duster (black or tan)  $250
4. #8 Canvas 1 piece duster (olive drab)   $200
5. original style top or half cab (TBD)

I'm still just gauging interest at this point nothing official yet.  If there is enough interest in black or tan Sunbrella Reedikinis or dusters, I'll buy Matt's material from him.  Sharon (Mrs Longhunter) says that she can help me so between the two of us, this should go faster.

For now just Reedikini's and dusters.  If you have already voted, you need to vote again either in this post or a PM to me.

#1.  Who's interested?
#2.  Who's interested?
#3.  Who's interested?
#4.  Who's interested?

I may also add that IMO, Sunbrella is a far superior fabric to cotton duck canvas.  The ONLY reason that I would recommend #8 cotton duck is for the vintage appearance.

The main purpose for this survey is to decide if it's worth my time to offer Sunbrella.

Can I get an update on the status of your soft-top endeavor? I'm going to be ready for something in about a month or so and I'm looking around at options.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 2:40am
Hi Walter,

Yes, I make tops. PM sent.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Walter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 10:38pm
Hello Jeff
I am interested in a 10 pieces top. Are you still make it?
Thanks.
Walter
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 4:25am
For anybody interested, Yes Jpet is still making tops. I got mine in a few days ago and I must reiterate what everyone else has said about the craftsmanship. the stitching is great, the fitment is great and the overall look is great!
I was quite surprised that even though I have an early '00's MD juan body/windshield and a set of eBay bows, all the critical dimensions were spot on. the top fit like a glove but a tad saggy, but I imagine that will shrink up just fine in time.

Thank You Jpet!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XHfCFW]IMG_3236[1444][/url] by Andrew Walker, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XHfCTj]IMG_3234[1443][/url] by Andrew Walker, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XLP4W2]IMG_3245[1445][/url] by Andrew Walker, on Flickr

Edited by clayvt - 24 Sep. 2017 at 4:37am
pa cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2017 at 3:16pm
I would like one for sure!  My 2a is normandy blue though. I'd prefer a black canvas or beige canvas though.
1946 CJ2a Super stocker, buick 225, Ford T18, D18
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 10:54pm

I would like to make a bikini top and a full cover for my jeep and ran across 40 yards of material that matched my seats and roll bar covers I made last year. I will not be canvas but black leather looking material. I know in can work with it but I'm not sure how hard it is to work with the clear plastic material.

How many mils do most of you use for this?
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>