Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dusters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2011 at 1:11am
I see you made some door rods.  Lets see some pics  of those.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2011 at 2:36am
Hey Dennis, What is your Jeep parked in?  Is that a carport/garage sprayed with insulation inside?
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2011 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

Hey Dennis, What is your Jeep parked in?  Is that a carport/garage sprayed with insulation inside?
it is a 10x15 ft. car port.it has a 8 ft. roll-up dr, on one end and a walk in dr. on the  other  end. it as you said spray with close cell  foam.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I see you made some door rods.  Lets see some pics  of those.
right now the rod are cover by canvas.LOLLOL i will try to get some pictures later. i have had some e-mail about building some dr. rod but i don`t plan on building any more at this time. what i did was to copy the original rods by useing a torch.they are are as close as a person can get with out the fixtures. i don`t think that they are good offud for other people. the time that i have in them i could`t charged for them. i injoy to build stuff for my self.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
serial # 164136<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2011 at 12:44am
jeff.i hope that this the pictures of the dr. rods that i  made is clear enough .
serial # 164136<
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 3:06am

I received my JPET DUSTER today and man it is nice, Thank you Jeff. Here are some pictures of General Willys little brother (as Jeff called it) And I have not come up with a name my self. Jeff I have a couple of  question, how am I suppose to attach the middle flap around the front bow with the brace from the windshield to the bow or am I missing something.  The last picture shows what I talking about.  Second question is do I need to treat the Sumbrella or is it good to go and water proof. Thanks again Jeff this top is more than I ever dreamed of.             

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 3:21am
look good mike
dennisThumbs UpBeerThumbs Up
serial # 164136<
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

I received my JPET DUSTER today and man it is nice, Thank you Jeff. Here are some pictures of General Willys little brother (as Jeff called it) And I have not come up with a name my self. ....

That sounds like a good name to me. "Lil' Brother"
Quote Jeff I have a couple of  question, how am I suppose to attach the middle flap around the front bow with the brace from the windshield to the bow or am I missing something.  The last picture shows what I talking about.....

This is the way the original canvas tops fastens.   Ever notice that the tube spacer (bow that runs from windshield to front bow assembly) only has one hole in it?  Now you know why.  The  end with the hole goes in the windshield footman loop and the back end is secured by the bow flap.

Quote ..... Second question is do I need to treat the Sumbrella or is it good to go and water proof. ......
Nope.  The Sunbrella is a synthetic fabric.  It will resist fading, mildew, UV rays, and shrinkage.  You do not want to treat it with anything.  Just keep it clean.
Quote Thanks again Jeff this top is more than I ever dreamed of.
That's ok my friend.  Your money was thanks enough. Big smile  That being said, I think we can do better.  I think you may be pulling the canvas too tight:

The rear seam should look more like this:

Do you have to pull it that tight to keep the canvas from sagging?  If you loosen it up some, it should cause the corner not to pucker out so bad:

If necessary, I can take an inch off the back.  It looks to me like your bows may be wider that 57-1/2" at the top.

Of course maybe I'm just being picky.  If you are satisfied, I am satisfied.  Enjoy and I hope "lil' bro" likes itSmile

Edited by jpet - 12 Apr. 2011 at 1:20pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 1:59pm

I did not even notice the pucker. I do have it pretty tight I will loosen it up a bit tonight and see how it looks  and I am very satisfied. Thanks, Mike

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
JCMarsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCMarsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2011 at 5:12am
Jeff, these look outstanding.  I'd love to get in line for a black half cab like Dennis'.  Would you consider building one for a roll bar instead of a bow in the rear?
let me know if you're interested and, if so, how to proceed.
I'm extremely impressed and envious.
thanks,
marshall
JCMarsh
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2011 at 4:39pm
Hi Marshall,

I appreciate the compliments.  Thanks.  Unfortunately, I would not even be able to attempt that without having the jeep at my disposal.  GW personally inspects each top and he does not have a roll-bar.  To make the CJ2 top(s) I had to put an MB windshield on the General to check the fit.

Sorry but I gotta draw the line somewhere.  The main purpose for this thread is to encourage people to attempt to make their own tops.  If you follow the procedures that I have outlined, I think you would realize that you can make a nice looking top like what Dennis has in a weekend with an ordinary sewing machine.  I say give it a try and post your progress.Thumbs Up
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JCMarsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCMarsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2011 at 5:03am
you've certainly laid out the "how to" as thoroughly as I've ever seen.
I'll see if I can get up the nerve.  I don't mind wasting a dozen yards or so of canvas, but my wife's sewing machine???
If I give it a try, I'll post some pics.
thanks, Jeff.
marshall
JCMarsh
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2011 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by JCMarsh JCMarsh wrote:

I don't mind wasting a dozen yards or so of canvas, but my wife's sewing machine??

Older SInger sewing machines are a dime a dozen in flea markets, antique shops, and yard sales...They won't be like Jeff's walking foot machine but with care they will sew a top. Don't fall for the hype that old SIngers are rare..$50 should buy a functional one.

Edited by F Bill - 17 Apr. 2011 at 3:21pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2011 at 7:03pm
If I were making one top from Sunbrella for myself, I would not be afraid to use a common household sewing machine.  This fabric is not very hard to sew.  If your sewing machine is a household one, set the stitch count to the smallest setting (usually 8).  Use a #18 needle with a 90 thread.

If you are making a top out of #8 cotton duck, I would highly recommend getting an old Singer like what F Bill suggests.  You definitely want a sewing machine with steel gears.  The biggest problem you will have is the clearance for the foot when sewing on straps.  If you use type III webbing like the original tops, you will need at least 7/16" clearance on a 3 fold strap.  When I make Sunbrella tops, I use type II nylon webbing for the straps.  They can be sewn on with a household machine.  For sewing heavy duck canvas with type III straps, I highly recommend a walking foot machine with 1/2" clearance.  When I make a top, I set my machine to 4 spi. (ends up sewing about 5spi) and I use a #22 needle.  I use two thread sizes.  I use 138 for the top thread and 90 for the bottom thread so that I don't have to wind my bobbin as much.  That's what Dave P. does as well.

Edited by jpet - 17 Apr. 2011 at 8:11pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:08am
Jeff:  The Tan Sunbrella Reedkini/Duster arrived on Friday and I had a chance to get the front bows and rods on my CJ2A.  The top is great!! On the maiden trip last evening, it rained - which was perfect.

On Tuesday, I will have time to put on the back piece.

Thanks so very much!!

Here are some photos from today:

Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2011 at 5:49am

Got rear bow on today and was able to put on the rear half of Jpet's Duster. It is great! Thanks so much, Jeff!

Now all ready for sun or rain! Thumbs Up
Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2012 at 3:08am
 Just wanted to say a quick "thank you" to Jeff (jpet) for making me the top in the picture and also for repairing a couple fasteners on my original top.  Great quality and attention to detail and I'm real happy with it.  Thanks Jeff. 
Dave
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2012 at 3:38pm
Hey Jpet,
Got my Duster yesterday. It looks fantastic! Big smile

Thanks for making these !!!!

I'll post photos when I get everything all together.
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>