Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2011!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 12:08pm
Helmet Cam

This whole video is good but the second half is the best part IMO

Edited by jpet - 21 Sep. 2011 at 12:35pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 1:30pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 2:05pm
Jpet,
DUDE, YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
I LOVE the "Helmet Cam"!!!!!!! LOL
Let us know who some of those people are!
Line 'em up with their Jeeps and an intro for a video post card!
I'm soooooo envious!!!!!!!! Cry

Edited by kilroy - 21 Sep. 2011 at 2:17pm
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 2:38pm
This was taken Monday

Edited by jpet - 21 Sep. 2011 at 2:45pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 4:46pm
If you all have watched the rock crawl video...its hard to describe how rough it was, but it was 4 hours of constant crawling...and these little jeeps are always up for the challenge!  We'll try to post more still shots soon, and we think we have a better plan for the helmet cam!  But for now, we're off on another adventure!  Stay tuned!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 4:50pm
how about a gyro for that helmet cam!
Or are you trying to give us a feel for the ride?

LOL
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 5:43pm
Hi all, this is Jane! Unfortunately since Steve is still sick and recovering from his chest cold we have VERY reluctantly had to cancel our trip out to join the jeep tour this fall. :-((((( We sure had been looking forward to coming out again this year after such a spectacular vacation last year with you all great folks!!! We will look forward to all the pictures and posts from you who are participating this year and will look forward to coming out for another fall color tour next time around!

I wanted to let you know our accommodations are available for anyone who still might be looking for a place to stay during and/or after the jeep tour. We had planned to stay the first few nights at Hahn's Haven, a pet friendly B&B just 4 miles from Mike & Ellen's. Melody the hostess says she still has three rooms (with shared bath) open for the weekend, including the one we were going to be in. We have not stayed there before but Melody sounds like a very nice hostess and the place is CLOSE and looks very comfortable in a scenic setting, with a hot tub and a nice hot breakfast every day. http://www.hahnshaven.com/ $89 or $99 depending on which room.

We had then planned to stay at Deer Valley Ranch after the tour and I talked to them today and they still have a couple openings for the weekend and into the following week. The FUTURITY 2 BR cabin is where we had reserved and is one of their most popular cabins with bright cheerful windows and a great view of the mountain. This is a full resort during the summer with activities and meals, but in this "off-season" the cabins are deeply discounted for what you get! Check out the pictures: http://deervalleyranch.com/site/accommodations.html The Futurity cabin is open Saturday night and at least several days into the next week, but call soon if you are interested. $115 a night for the 2 or 3 BR cabins. This does not include breakfast in the of season, but does have a fully equipped kitchen and a nice fireplace. Nice mineral springs-fed swimming pools and hot tub also are open. They have a couple other cabins that are also available if you want something for prior to Saturday night. OK --if you reserve there *please mention* that Steve and Jane Vogelzang sent you!! We might even get our deposit back that way :-)

God bless you all and hope you have a wonderful jeeping vacation this week and weekend! See you next time! --Jane

Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 6:20pm
Dang,
That's too bad!  Keep in mind, the fresh clean high altitude air is a cure all for colds!  Sitting on top of the mountain, you will feel like a million bucks!
Well, put it on the books for next year!
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
535th GPW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 535th GPW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 11:14pm
Okay Lew,

I'm in, a little late, but I'm in........the boss seemed too eager to get me out of the house, but that's okay, its Jeep time!  Need to fine tune the Jeep Thursday, then  leaving early Friday morning.  I found the map, doesn't look too hard to find, but I'll call you if any problems come up.

Ray
OLDPEOPLE2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDPEOPLE2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2011 at 4:02am
Jane & steve, the wind here must of blowed you way from us. My daughter and I had to go see the doc yesterday so he could tell us  yup, you got the bug. $92. a head to tell us that and $6. a head for the pill. Man this stuff just doesn't leave yah. I was really looking forward to see how long my face would hurt from smiling, after I got back from the color run.                                                             
 Jpet, thanks for the reporting news. I was going to bring yeh a old army steel pot and put it in your jeep.  I think it would of look good with the way you have your jeep painted, If you come up to the home of cablas on I-80, Give me a call and I'll rush it up there.  Call it Payment for the reporting news   
 P.S. Nice to see the squirls didn't slap yah. Have fun for all of us folks. Next year you will have a Hick flatlander there. 
Eleanor 1947 CJ2A #148236

They say money talks! All mine ever said was goodbye.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2011 at 5:04am
Originally posted by ricco79 ricco79 wrote:

If you all have watched the rock crawl video...its hard to describe how rough it was, but it was 4 hours of constant crawling...and these little jeeps are always up for the challenge!  

This was definitely the roughest road I have taken any jeep tour up since we've been doing the color tours.  If you didn't have loose bolts on your jeep before this, you did afterwards!!  I think my tush got compacted with all the bouncing!

I made to to my destination in south east Missouri today.  1043 miles in 19 hours on the road!  If I wasn't so amped up on caffein and anticipation, I'd be dog tired! 

I think the camping trip is gonna have to become a regular feature.  That was blast.  We got a late start so it was dark before we even got to the forest.  We drove up the trail to the campsite in almost pitch blackness.  The moon was hours away from coming up.  Thankfully I remembered what all the key landmarks were.  Even with my 4 headlights I could not see farther than about 50 yards in front of me.  But the real thrill was the black-out drive thru the forest - by flashlight!  We turned off all the jeep lights and used mini-mag lights to light up the trail in front of each of the jeeps.  What a hoot!   (note to self - make sure to have fresh batteries loaded before the next ride!)  It was way too dark under the trees to try driving with out any lights for more than a few seconds. 

But the stars were truly beautiful, and we saw many shooting stars too.  Jpet just layed out on the ground so he could watch most of the sky without having to twist his head this way and that way.  We listened to the coyotes calling to each other.  One was less than 100 yards from where we stopped.  And later that evening I think everyone slept warm except Arick.  (I think he forgot his hot water bottle!) 

Hot coffee and fresh cooked bacon for breakfast!  Yum!!  And a very challenging ride back down off the mountain as one of the videos will demonstrate.  Yup, we need to plan on doing this again!

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2011 at 2:33am
This was from the first day:

More to follow

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2011 at 5:26am
More from day 2

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2011 at 5:44am

Day 3   Gas stop...to the left is Jack and Barb, and to the right is Cathy and Frank (Combat).  Both Jack and Frank have very nice GPW's...I only wish Frank would have brought his gun! (Edit ATS)

John (jwitt) and Mary lead the way:

Joshua (1943gpw) with his mom (Lisa) in the backround...ready to hit the trail! 
(edit ATS)

Bruce in front of his ride...(edit ats)

The day was great for all but ended on a down note for me:

BummerEmbarrassedCry

Edited by jpet - 28 Sep. 2011 at 4:02pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2011 at 5:50am

Day 4:

This is the Bubba crew: Wallie, Fred, Barb, Ben, Emily

Not pictured is Joshua (1943gpw).  Thanks man

Lets get back at it:

Edited by jpet - 24 Sep. 2011 at 4:26am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2011 at 5:52am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2011 at 1:27pm
WOW, that's some serious carnage! Shocked  What's the story on that? 

Great pictures!!!!  I'm seriously thinking of going next year!
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2011 at 2:41pm
As we all have now learned...and Jeff has so thoughtfully demostrated...these jeeps don't really like trees!   I think the General went a little psycho! Just took off down the hill and then went I came up on him...he was eating the tree!
For the damage done....the crew did a fantastic job gettin the General trail ready. Once the plan was put into action...that fix was a total of five or six hrs!   Now if you count combined hrs of helpers, watchers, opinion givers, documentarians, curiosity seekers and those just shaking their head.....then it took all of us 97 hrs to help Jeff fix the General!    Great job Jeff!   You're determination was impressive....but your welding skills....not so much!   
should be another great day of weather and rides!   Try to post more....later!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>