Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil pump passages/gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bermerwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil pump passages/gasket
    Posted: 15 Jan. 2011 at 1:31am

Recently I developed a small leak where the oil pump seats into the block. I pulled the oil pump out of the block. My oil pump is like the one pictured on the left side (I pulled this picture from another post).

My engine block has three oil passages, in, out and overflow. The oil pump I have does not have a channel between the out and overflow like the aluminum oil pump pictured on the right.  When you bolt up the pump I have it will close off the overflow passage. Is this ok?!?! Confused  Is the gasket for the oil pump with the channel the same as the one without the channel?

My engine is freshly rebuilt, less than 10 hours on it, so I doing my best to insure it lasts me.

bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2011 at 1:53am
Are you using a new gasket from one of the engine rebuild gasket sets? The oil pump gasket contained in my gasket kit was made incorrectly and was blocking one of the passages.  I ended up having to make my own out of some gasket paper.

Brandon
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
Bermerwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bermerwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2011 at 5:02pm
Hey Brandon thanks for the reply: I have ordered the new gasket but I haven't received it yet. Did your oil pump have the channel machined in it so that oil from the overflow would funnel into the out? I'm concerened that any oil that comes from the overflow passage will have no way to get to the out passage.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2011 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Bermerwood Bermerwood wrote:

... My engine block has three oil passages, in, out and overflow ...
Uh, not really.  It has:
  1. in
  2. a machined passage to connect the main oil gallery to the middle main bearing web
  3. out
The machined passage may (or may not) be plugged.  No matter, when you put the oil pump on w/gasket, that hole gets blocked off by the oil pump body.

Quote The oil pump I have does not have a channel between the out and overflow like the aluminum oil pump pictured on the right. 
It's internal to the casting.

Quote Is the gasket for the oil pump with the channel the same as the one without the channel?
Yes.  Note where the "channel" on the aluminum pump leads to.  See that it does not end up at what you call the "overflow" hole in the block?

Sean
Bermerwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bermerwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2011 at 5:22pm
Thanks for clarifying! I was worried about blocking off oil flow some how on my new engine. As soon as the gasket gets here I can get back on the road. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply