Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oversize master cylinder pistons?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oversize master cylinder pistons?
    Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 4:55am
Hello,

I have a half dozen original Wagner Lockheed master cylinders here, all opened up on the bench from searching for a good core to rebuild.  My two best candidates still have some pitting in the bores.  A heavy honing may get rid of most of the pits, but may leave the bore to piston clearance too large.  It is my understanding that the piston to bore clearance should be no greater than 0.005".  Does anyone know of an over sized piston kit on the market that would fit these master cylinders?   A piston kit that is a mere 0.010" or 0.020" oversize, would save a lot of these old cylinders from being recycled by allowing them to be bored oversize.

I was unable to find much on the web about it, it seems that most places are having bores sleeved on hard to find master cylinders instead, but the cost is at least twice that of a new replacement master cylinder.  If there are companies that rebuild or used to rebuild these master cylinders, I wonder if they have access to over sized kits?  I could only imagine that they would get a lot of rusted or worn cores, and would want to save as many as possible.

If oversize piston kits are not available, I have some connections to talented folks who can make over sized pistons, but I'd have to figure something out for the matching piston seals and rubber cups.

Any input would be appreciated.
Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 20 Jan. 2011 at 5:01am
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 2:17pm
Daniel,

You're not the only one saving old cylinders. I too have a stash of dead cylinders that I can't seem to throw away. Like you, I keep thinking that these are original castings, "I'm going to bore them someday". Hah!! (and I have a machine shop) Most likely what will happpen is some day I'm going to croak and the person going through all my stuff is going to run accross boxes of 'rusty junk', shake their head, and make another deposit to the scrap pile.Cry 

To answer your question,  If you can find a 26 mm cup seal, you could bore them .023 over size and omit the sleeve making the process much cheeper. I've looked for standard 26mm cups but have come up empty as I've only found them with a hole in the center. 

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 10:37pm
Thanks Joe,

If there are no SAE kits available as over size specifically for these master cylinders, I am going to follow up on this metric lead and see where it takes us.  I imagine that there would be enough demand between here and the G503 to justify the effort of finding or making the parts needed.  A 26mm bore may allow me to save half or more of the cores I have.

Daniel
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 5:55am
  I just found some 1 - 1/32 , 1 - 1/16  sizes on ebay. Search hydraulic brake cups.
  JIM
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 4:59pm
Jim,

Thanks for the tip. Well , I guess the experiment begins. For $3.14 (including shipping) I bought 3 of the 1-1/32 brake cups.

Daniel, I jumped on the cups so that they wouldn't escape this project. They are left over NOS and he only had three of them.  If you want any or all of the cups, just let me know and I'll pass them along to you as it's your thread that got this started. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 5:06pm
Can you get away with only an oversize cup without oversizing the piston as well?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 5:09pm
I wouldn't think so... planning on turning pistons to match.
Joe DeYoung

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 9:15pm
 You are welcome. 
  I rebuilt my master cyl. and resleeved it with stainless steel and what a job boring and honing that stainless.  I believe brass sleeves would work just as well and be a lot easier boring and honing. I also made the pistons for the wheel cylinders out of brasss with stainless push pins, didn't like the looks of all that corrosion from the alumnun ones.
  Good luck with your prodject, like you I hate to throw any thing away when it can be rebuilt.
       JIM 
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 11:11pm
Thanks Jim for the lead on those. 

Joe, that is quite alright.  See if you can work with those, knowing your talents, I have confidence that this will work.  I did not see an application listed for the 1-1/32" cups, but if they were made for a specific car that can help for narrowing down a steady supply of them.  I will research this when I get some quiet time tonight after everyone here at the house is sleeping! Wink

I also agree that new pistons will be needed, and should not be less than 0.005" of the bore diameter. 

What are your thoughts on seal that fits around the rear of the piston?  Looking at the seals on the rebuild kit pistons, all of mine have a cupped profile as well.  I am hoping that these 1" rear seals can be stretched a little over a slightly larger diameter machined groove in the piston, if matching 1-1/32" rear seals can not be found.

This is looking promising, I figured that the rubber parts would be the biggest challenge.  Metal pistons, while time consuming to make individually, could be rather economical if we could set up a large run of them if there was enough interest.

Daniel
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 11:40pm
Looks like 1-1/32" diameter cylinders were common in many older Dodge vehicles, so I start searching in that direction.

Daniel
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2011 at 12:00am
it would seem to me enlarging the bore of a master cylinder of an already under sized system is not a good idea. the following is copied from the link at the end of this post.using the formula that is stated below increasing bore size of m/c to 1.0625 (1 1/32) would result in about a 11 1/2 % reduction in line pressure to wheel cylinders. Ouch
Rick

Brake line pressure is a different thing than the force you apply to the pedal. Force acts in one direction and is addressed in pounds. Pressure acts in all directions against surrounding surfaces and is addressed in pounds per square inch or PSI. "Levers" (brake pedals) can be used to change the force. Inside the hydraulic system, the surface area of the piston is what is affected by pressure. Decreasing the bore size of the master cylinder increases the pressure it can build. Pistons in master cylinders are specified by bore size. But there's a hitch: The area of a circle (or bore) is Pi–R-Squared. The area of the piston surface increases or decreases as the square of the bore size or diameter. For example, the area of a common 1-1/8-inch master cylinder is approximately 0.994-inch. The area of an equally common 1.00-inch bore master cylinder is approximately 0.785-inch. Switching from the larger master cylinder to the smaller version will increase the line pressure approximately 26.5% assuming that pedal ratio hasn't changed.

http://www.automedia.com/Better_Brake_Performance/pht20080501gh/2

Edited by Harveynailbanger - 22 Jan. 2011 at 12:31am
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2011 at 12:04am
 as afollowup i wonder if the "lever" or moment was changed on the brake pedal arm what effect that would have on the 2a brakes? I suppose the questions are , what pressure does the stock system operate and what pressure could it safely operate at?
Rick
Another thought what if the wheel cylinder piston was enlarged ?, that would have the same effect as decreasing the m/c piston size.......hmmm....

Edited by Harveynailbanger - 22 Jan. 2011 at 12:18am
46 CJ2A 71804
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2011 at 7:40am
Thank you Rick, you bring up an excellent point.  I had worked some numbers on this when I first thought of reboring the master cylinder, and then I redid them using the cups that Joe was thinking of using.  I came up with a different numbers for line pressure reduction.  So let's work through this and see if I am missing anything here.  If I miscalculated somewhere below, please let me know, I respect what you are trying to say, because any modifications to factory safety systems deserve a great deal of thought and research.

Grab some coffee or an oat soda, and let me know if this makes sense...

Pressure = Pound Force / Area

Areas of master pistons as follows per pi * r^2:
1.000" piston is 0.7854 in^2
1.0236" (26mm) piston is 0.82294 in^2
1.03125" piston is 0.83525 in^2

Lets pick a constant pound force of 100 acting on the master cylinder piston for each scenario (which, by a rough measurements of the jeep brake pedal arm, may be like applying just over 22 pounds of force with your foot to the brake pedal), and using the formula above for pressure at the output of the master cylinder, P=F/A, in pound force per square inch (psi):
1.000" piston.............127.324 psi
1.0236" piston...........121.515 psi
1.03125" piston.........119.725 psi

If these numbers are close, then a 1-1/32" bore would only be a 6% decrease in pressure, and our initially suggested 26mm bore would only be about 4.6% decrease.  Granted, any pressure decrease from the master cylinder is not ideal for the cj2a, but I'd be willing to argue that even a 6% decrease would be tolerable, and perhaps hardly noticeable, provided that the rest of the system is in good working order.  For example, if the stock master cylinder were honed to 1.005" during a standard reconditioning job, the resulting pressure would drop about 1% using my calculation methods above.  So by using over sized pistons as we proposed above, compared with running a reconditioned master with a 0.005" over size bore, only results in output pressure differences of 3.6% to 5%.

More importantly, our calculations above are based on a single value for pound force acting on the piston for the sake of comparison, when in fact this value obviously is not a constant.  If we end up with a 6% reduction in line pressure due to an over size piston, we simply need to press harder on the brake pedal to compensate.  How much harder?...you guessed it, 6%!  Now, I couldn't find any info yet on what the maximum brake system pressure on the CJ2A was supposed to be, so I did some crude reverse calculations.  There is a popular formula that states that:

(brake system Pressure * Area of master piston) / pedal effort = the pedal ratio

I know that the pedal ratio is close to 4.5:1 on the CJ2A, and a 1" master piston Area is 0.7854 inches square.  Now let's suppose, in a worst case scenario panic stop, you were able to muster 200 pounds force on the brake pedal (this is a total shot in the dark here, I am not sure most folks could even do this much at the pedal!?), that would result in a system pressure of about 1150 psi.  So maybe this is close to a realistic maximum system pressure number that Willys or Wagner Lockheed intended, but I'd like to investigate this further.  The point that I am trying to make with this hypothetical case, is that if I had the 1.03125 master cylinder, I would only have to apply another 12 additional pounds of force on the pedal to reach the same seemingly excessive system pressure.  This doesn't seem like much, especially since most of us get a decent leg workout every time we drive these old contraptions!

I am avoiding looking into wheel cylinder changes, simply because it is late at night, well actually early in the morning!  You are correct in saying that altering wheel cylinder size can help compensate for the over size master piston.  I would venture a guess, that by merely honing all four wheel cylinders a few thousandths, one can shift the pressure percentage ratios back a little bit.  I also have had a fellow tell me once that one can run 7/8" wheel cylinders in the rear of a cj2a out of a Willys truck or wagon, instead of using the 3/4" cj2a versions.  I have no verification if this modification is feasible, but it may be another idea to alter the braking performance of the 2As.

Please let me know if I missed something, (it has been a long week with little sleep!)  Again, I very much appreciate coments and criticisms. 

Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 22 Jan. 2011 at 7:50am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2011 at 3:50pm
Daniel,

Coffee is good, Oat soda? never had any i'll have to try that sometime. in view of that keep in mind  that my caffeine has not kicked in yet. on reflection,
your calcs are correct , my calcs were based on a 1/16 th oversized piston not a 1/32 oversized one. I agree with the 6% figure. my apoligies to all for the misinformation. and i completely missed Joes mentioning the 26 mm cups. my basic premise however still stands....

My stance is simply that i feel the brakes are marginal at best given the design pressures and mechanically speaking, the maintainence required to keep them at optimum service levels.
personally i wouldn't opt for anything that would further degrade their performance.
Now all that being said,  the m/c changes being discussed used in conjunction with  wheel cylinder changes could present some attractive brake performance enhancements.
as well as the obvious attraction of saving some original parts.
has anyone looked at how difficult it would be to change the pedal moment ratio to offset or even improve system performance?
if the stock ratio is say 4.5 to 1 increasing that to 5 to 1 would boost m/c pressure by around 10% while increasing pedal travel marginally maybe an inch or so (just a w.a.g.)
conversely the wheel cylinders are what diameter stock? rears are 3/4" and fronts are 1" ? (pulling that from a bad memory)
 if there is a wheel cylinder avail that has a 7/8 bore (.875) that would be about a 36% increase over stock on the rear.
additionally if you could do  say   1 1/8 on the front (if stock is 1") that would be around a 26% increase that would be on each cylinder how would that relate to overall performance i'm not sure.
but combined with a 6% decrease in m/c pressure that could be very attractive to some of us.
however now you are getting into an area that i am reluctant to propose because you will have equiptment that is not stock so what if say i sell my modified jeep to someone who has to replace wheel cylinders down the road and puts stock components back in where they are now NOT designed to be?
just thinkin out loud.

another thought, how difficult would it be to make a proportioning valve to fine tune the brake bias once mods are made?( that would/could greatly reduce rear wheel lockup)
I am definately not opposed to "chasing this rabbit" as i would like to maintain the stock look rather than change to larger brakes/disc brakes, plus being able to use existing stock pile of original parts.
as mentioned earlier we need to find the proper sized cups, the pistons can be made easy enough.
as well as determine the design pressures of these systems so we dont venture into dangerous territory, I really do not want too meet any of you for the first time in hospital  or worse.

Rick

PS here is a link to hyd  calculator that is pretty cool:

Edited by Harveynailbanger - 22 Jan. 2011 at 3:52pm
46 CJ2A 71804

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2011 at 4:24pm
here are some addt'l calcs:

assuming all stock equipt:

with 100 lbs force exherted on pedal with 4.5 :1 mechanical advantage = 450 lbs force to m/c
translates to 573 psi to w/c.

front w/c (1") equals 450 lbs force at each front wheel
rear w/c (3/4) = 253 lbs force at each.

Modified m/c (1/32)
539 psi  (-6%)

front 423 lbs force
rear 238 lbs

mod m/c (1/32)
w/ 7/8 rear cyl  =324 lbs
w/ 1 1/8 front = 526 lbs

all stock changing pedal moment to 5:1

636 psi

281 lbs at rear
500 lbs at front

minus 6% for m/c mod = 264 rear and  470 at front

just some thoughts

rick

PS  the stock configuration works out to 36% of braking force applied to rear and 64 % to front,
so i would think that any mods should approximate that pretty closely.

PSS:
link to 1 1/8 w/c for jeep ?

Edited by Harveynailbanger - 22 Jan. 2011 at 5:25pm
46 CJ2A 71804

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2011 at 5:09pm

04493-60140

BRAKE M/CYL REP KIT

LANDCRUISER

FJ / BJ / LJ 70 SERIES

1-1/16"

http://www.raceraust.com/australia/products/05-hydraulic_repair/BRAKE_HYDRAULIC_&_UNI_WHEEL_CYL_APPLICATION_GUIDES.pdf
M/C repair kits   source for cups?
46 CJ2A 71804
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2011 at 5:54pm
Sorry for the obscure reference Rick, oat soda is slang for a beerWink, got that from The Big Lebowski movie.

Other brake enhancements may be worth investigating, but I only want to focus on a way to recondition an otherwise worthless master cylinder with this post, and discuss its effects when used with the stock brake system components.  The more modifications made to the system, means trade offs elsewhere in the system, just as you mentioned.  This is something I am trying to avoid, as I have already "chased that rabbit" while designing custom brake systems for the rockcrawlers that I used to build, it is time consuming, intellect taxing work...and perhaps unnecessary in this case.

Certainly, everyone needs to make their own competent, informed decisions when it comes to any brake system changes.  That being said, one of the reasons that I feel that the slight master cylinder change that we are investigating does not seem to warrant any further modifications has to do with simple human variation.  Say, for example, that you asked 100 people to sit in the same jeep, and press the brake pedal as hard as they can, and that you had a pressure gauge in the brake system to measure the pressure that each person created in the brake system by doing so.  I would be willing to bet that the pressure values would all vary, and it would seem likely to me that they could vary by way more than 6%.

Personally, I think that about 0.010" oversize would be ideal, but we may be limited by what is economically feasible in regards to seals and cups.

Daniel
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2011 at 6:24pm
 I like the thought of better stopping power with these old jeeps without changing brake shoe size, and always  thought that 9" brakes should do the job for the size of a cj2a and the problem was in the hydraulics.  I have a saturn with smaller brakes shoes (on back)  than my cj2a and it stops a lot better.
  Would it put more pressure on the wheel cyl. to reduce the size of the bore in the master cyl. to like 15/16?  That way we could salvage the original master cyl. and have better brake too.
  Just a thought,   JIM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>