Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2A Reborn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trdabney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 CJ2A Reborn
    Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 5:32am
My Dad gave me this CJ-2A in 1964 when I was 13, to drive around the farm in. It was painted olive drab at that time. He sold it a couple of years later to put the money towards a car for me. In 2005, I happened to find out who owned it and bought it back from him. It had been painted yellow and had not run in several years and the engine is locked up. I have kept it out of the weather since I got it back. I have just now gotten to where I have some time to work on it with my son.  The frame seems to be in excellent condition for its age and the tub looks like all it needs is the front floor pan and maybe some work in the area in front of the side steps. The "Willys" marked tailgate and hood are in very good shape. The windshield is in excellent shape and is now a one piece glass with the vent in the center below the glass. All the data plates are missing except the small body tag and "Bubba" drilled a hole through the center of it to mount a solenoid, so all I can read on it is, "Willys, CJ2A and what looks like 20Bubba hole52" which doesn't match the title VIN. If you hold it in the light correctly you can read "Willys Overland" etc. at the bottom. The engine numbers are J-87964 on top behind water pump, date with clock 12-20 and casting number of 638632-W3/A-N1-CR-N2 and it has a CC over the W. My first step will be to pull the engine and try to figure out why it is locked up. I am posting some photos, one taken on Christmas morning 1964 with my younger brother and me next to this Jeep in our pajamas (yes, I was a goofy kid with a flat top) and one with our Dad who passed away in 2006. I'm glad I bought the Jeep back in 2005 and he was able to see it. The photos with the tub still on were taken in 2005 and the others are recent, since my son and I started working on it.

Edited by trdabney - 04 Mar. 2011 at 5:34am
47goDevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47goDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 5:43am
now that's loyalty and it looks like they took care of it for you . real nice . 
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 6:08am
That's a real kewl story, can't wait to see what you get done to it, so gonna go back to Olive Drab?

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 1:48pm
Good luck with the father-son project...and great memories to be re-lived as you move forward.  Looks to be in great shape.  That E-brake drum looks kind of different...may just be the angle of the picture.  Have fun!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 3:00pm
Great story. Very cool to get your childhood ride back.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 7:45pm
Great project.  Did your mother make you and your brother those matching robes? I have pictures of my brother and me at about the same age in PJ's my mother made us.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
trdabney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trdabney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2011 at 2:08am
Thanks for all the kind comments and encouragement, guys. I think I will go back with olive drab even though I don't guess that's an original civilian color. The matching robes, she very well could have made, not sure. I haven't gotten far enough along to have paid much attention to the emergency brake drum. I'll check on it and post some better photos. Thanks again.
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2011 at 3:37pm
Nice introduction and what a neat story of finding your family heirloom. Great to continue a family tradition with 2As.
As to your e-brake, the drum, shoes and such are missing. All that's there is the backing plate. Someone has used a different yoke and just hooked up the rear driveshaft with that. As to be expected your 2A has gone through some changes over the years. You will have fun getting it back to the way your father had it. 
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2011 at 6:14pm
There is no ebrake drum, that is just the backing plate.  I am sure some one has an extra drum and hardware laying around.

Edited by ralf - 05 Mar. 2011 at 6:19pm
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
47goDevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47goDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2011 at 1:57am
ralf, you need to be on this side of the map so you can restore my parking brake , i want it just like yours. 
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2011 at 2:10am
Great Story. How cool to get it back! Glad to have read this one.
Bst of Luck with the restoration!!
JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2011 at 2:26am
You should have another data plate on the frame unless someone has been doing unauthourized hacking in there.
Look for that data plate at the front left frame horn just behind the bumper.  They are installed with drive-screws on the inside or the outside of the frame rail depending on the year.
I wonder if your mom or dad still have some old files around that would show the serial number of the jeep.
Congradulations on reclaiming your old jeep.  It has a lot of memories attached to it and now your son's going to hopefully take this over some day and perhaps in turn give it to his son someday.
What a great piece of history to have in your garage.
jeeperjim  (Jim)
JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
trdabney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trdabney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2011 at 6:17am
Thanks again for all the helpful replies, guys. My son and I got the engine pulled today and brought it home where we can work on it in the garage. Y'all are right, the only part left of the E-brake is the backing plate. I called myself looking for the frame data plate, but I may have to take a wire brush to the inside of the frame horn to make sure. Here's a photo of the front left frame horn:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l607/trdabney/Jeep202011.jpg
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2011 at 12:29pm
There's not a date plate on your frame....As per your picture the data plate would be right there where that hole is on the side of the frame a couple of inches back from the frame horn. It would be covering that hole if there was one there.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2011 at 12:44pm
It looks similar to an M38 frame since the frame horns are different than a CJ2A.  Perhaps they were replaced with non-authentic replacement horns?  It does have the correct grill mounts for the 2A since the M38 mounts allowed the grill to pivot forward. 
The frame data plate is on the vertical part of the frame horn either inside or outside.  From that single shot I can not make out the area for the plate.
I can post a picture tonight when I return home of my 46 plate mounted by the factory
if you wish but it is pretty easy to see. 
Could be covered up with some general crap from over the years or perhaps some undercoating that some owners have applied from time to time.
jeeperjim  (Jim)

Edited by JeeperJim - 06 Mar. 2011 at 12:45pm
JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2011 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by JeeperJim JeeperJim wrote:

Could be covered up with some general crap from over the years or perhaps some undercoating that some owners have applied from time to time.
jeeperjim  (Jim)

Jim, I believe if the data plate was where it was supposed to be, that little 1/2" hole wouldn't be showing on the side of his frame horn.....they are usually installed over that hole. But I'm no expert.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
trdabney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trdabney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2011 at 5:58am
Update: My son and I got the engine pulled, brought it home, attached it to the engine stand and cleaned it up some.

seawheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2011 at 2:19pm
keep us posted, glad to meet you guys this weekend. Good luck.
'47 CJ2A
'64 FC-170
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>