Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shackle Types

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shackle Types
    Posted: 23 Mar. 2011 at 8:44pm
I have seen two different types of shackles used on the leaf springs.  Is there a preference?  Also where can you find the "H" configuration shackle?

Drew guy
http://imageevent.com/drewguy
1946 JEEP CJ2A
1950 Dodge Power Wagon
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2011 at 8:54pm
The correct shackles are the C-type shackles if you want it look as it did from the factory.  It may be that the H-type are used by some because there have been cases where the reproduction C-type shackles do not have parallel "arms" if you will, that make them very difficult to insert in the spring eyes.

Beyond that, I do not the source for the H-type shackles.  I'm sure that someone else here will, and my guess is that they are easier to find than correct C-type shackles.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2011 at 8:56pm
WWW.4WD.COM  for the H shackles.....

Walcks for the c-style..
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
Drewguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2011 at 9:46pm
thanks
Drew guy
http://imageevent.com/drewguy
1946 JEEP CJ2A
1950 Dodge Power Wagon
Jammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2011 at 10:09pm
I have the H type shackles that were installed by Louis Larson back when his shop was still open as part of a spring replacement. Springs with a mild lift were all that were available at that time and it has worked out ok even though I would prefer the stock configuration.  
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 12:19am
that is the front of my project with the H shackle and Hillbilly is correct you can also fleabay them as well for little cost.
huntindog51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindog51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2011 at 6:06pm
when buying the "H" style shackles to replace the "C" ones are they the same as the cj 5 ones on many of the different sites?

thanks for your help!
jeeperkyle46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2011 at 5:29am
If u plan to lift your jeep with new springs you will have to typically get the H style shackle.  If you keep with stock spring height you just stick with C style.

You cant really run suspension with the old style shackle you WILL have to UPGRADE to H style
 Post Reply Post Reply