Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine overhaul kits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine overhaul kits
    Posted: 13 Apr. 2011 at 9:26pm

134F engine

Tearing down this engine for complete overhaul. Thinking of getting a complete overhaul kit. Any suggestions or thoughts as to which suppliers to use? I looking at the complete overhaul kits on Kaiser’s site, any pros or cons here?

Looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

bill

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2011 at 3:53pm
It has been my experiance that you are better off doing the tear down, taking the block to the machine shop and find out what you will need. Obviously you do not want to buy a kit prematurely because you do not know piston, ring or bearing sizes. Once you have a good idea of what you need then look into the "full kit" or buying individual parts. Personally I would like to know name brands in the parts kit but that is just me. I like NOS. To me, money is well spent on high quality parts for an engine rebuild. Just my 2 cents.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
bill davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 2:52am
Thanks damar, for the reply. As soon as I get the engine broke down it will go the machine shop. I need know names of reliable suppliers.
bill
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 2:59am

I pieced mine together.  My enine rebuilder wanted the cam bearings, valves, and guides to be new when i brought the block to him.  from there, i picked up what i needed based on quality parts at the best price.

eric
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 3:09am
I would trust Walck's. They are 5 star. Another good source would be Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts over on the G503 websight. I have never heard bad things about these guys. I have bought parts from both and have been very impressed. You will not be disappointed!
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 3:22am
I used a compination of Walck's, Keiser, and The Jeep Doctor to put mine together.
Alot of parts were NOS.
Some like gaskets and pistons were not.
If I remember right the cam was the hardest part to find.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 5:41am
Got my NOS cam shaft from Walcks.
Came in this tube.
Covered in cosmoline.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 6:33am
One thing to add, the price of pistons was about 1/3 of anywhere else with Ron at Fitzpatrick parts.  besides, who else give you a peppermint and a watermelon candy in every package!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 2:00pm
Thanks to all for the responses, still in the process of tearing the engine down. The timing gears looks to be in great shape. I'm assuming I can reuse the cam gear(not metal)? The number 4 hole rocker arm push rod is severally bent and number 4 crank throw insert bearing is bad. The journal itself is a little rough. Don't know what else I'll going to find out about number 4 hole.
Bought this jeep from a rancher in west texas. We clean out the gas tank, changed oil, water, grease it. We started it up and it ran great, but like any peice of equipment that been sitting that long the bugs will show after a several hours of driving. It did.
thanks again
bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 2:04pm
Forgot to mention. Rod journals already been turned to .030. Don't know about crank journals and cylinders yet.
bill
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2011 at 3:02am
Don't reuse the fiber gear. Buy new. Most people will tell you not to reuse them, they usually get dinged up when you remove them and that tends to render them untrustworthy. See what others on the site have to say about that.
eat,sleep,jeep

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2011 at 3:15am
nice shaft. what it cost?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2011 at 4:06pm
I just reread this thread and finally noticed that we are discussing an F head rather than an L head.  My cam shaft is for an L head.Embarrassed I got the cam shaft from Walcks for $105. It's not listed on their web site but when I called them, Carl said they had some. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
munkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2011 at 6:10pm
If my memory is correct isn't the cam interchangable between a L head and a F head motor, the F head cam has 0.010 more lift, but other than that the same ?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2011 at 6:35pm
It could be, but I am clueless on that type of info. I just didn't want to lead anyone astray by giving my L head story in an F head thread.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply