Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V wiring diagram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2016 at 2:48am
I wanted to let everyone know that on Saturday my 1948 Willys CJ2A turned over.

I've never felt so good.

With that being said thank you everyone.

A recap: the above wiring diagrams are going to get you exactly what you need.

Keep in mind that if you are using a ballast resistor it's a simple fix... Just put the ballast between your ignition switch and your coil.

Your coil will more than most likely state of your need a ballast resistor or resistance wire on the front of it. For example my new coil says "use with external resistor".

If it doesn't say something like that - chances are it has an internal resistor.

It's there to reduce the voltage so that your points, which are in your distributor, don't get too much voltage - if they do it will shorten thier life greatly.

Also your coil ground through the distributor - so if you are trying to start an old jeep - you need to also make sure the points are good or else your coil won't even be able to send spark in the first place.

I'm extremely greatful for everyone's help.

Thank you.

Edited by CJTWOA - 27 June 2016 at 2:51am
As always: thank you.
CJTWOA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 2:43am
I'm asking about Walcks wiring diagram. They have  (4) wires grouped together - (2) yellow with one black tracer, and (2) blue with one white tracer. I'm so confused about where these go. The tail lights and the brakes lights are the sam lights, right? And it also says "Connector at terminal block" for one of the the yellow with black tracer. I though there was only one terminal block - up front for the headlights? 

I'm not even sure if I've given enough info to get an answer. 
As always: thank you.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 2:11am
The yellows and blues are for the front turn signals. Walcks doesn't know what type of signals you might use, so they don't have a finished end.

If you have chosen to use turn signals, a 3-point terminal block is used in most cases. This is where the yellows all come together. Original terminal blocks had 2 terminals points. You didn't need more than 2 because the original 2A set up did not have turn signals.

This photo might help...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 4:59am
 Hawk - Stop a minute, blink your eyes, shake your head, now look at your picture.
 CJ2-A's use a three-post connector on the LF fender - one for the high beams, one for the low beams, and one for the park lights. The turn signal wires connect together with bullet connectors. In your picture, you can see the bullet connectors hiding behind the other wires. You also might want to get that extra nut out of there before it starts some mischief.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Hawk - Stop a minute, blink your eyes, shake your head, now look at your picture.
 CJ2-A's use a three-post connector on the LF fender - one for the high beams, one for the low beams, and one for the park lights. The turn signal wires connect together with bullet connectors. In your picture, you can see the bullet connectors hiding behind the other wires. You also might want to get that extra nut out of there before it starts some mischief.   BW

LOL, X2

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
bpgrnjk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpgrnjk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 2:35pm
Does anyone have a wiring diagram that includes the turn indicator? Please help 
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:51pm
Good info. Thank you
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2023 at 12:41pm
I’m starting my wiring. I think I will follow your second diagram (with alterations for single wire alternator). How did your turn out?  Did you stick to that diagram?  Also I want to put in a fuse box. Where would that go in your diagram?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123