Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Transmission Fluid?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Transmission Fluid?
    Posted: 27 May 2011 at 2:36pm
Hi,  I'm wondering if anyone knows the correct fluid to use in the Transmission and Transfer case for a 46 CJ2A.   Original Willy's documents say use Mineral Gear Oil, but when I spoke to Valvoline and a
often-referenced (positively in posts on the cj2apage) major CJ2A parts retailer, they said just use the regular 80-90 weight Hypoid gear oil used in differentials etc and sold in all normal parts stores.  The original Willy's documents do say to use Hypoid gear oil in the differentials so I figure there must be a reason why they say use Mineral Gear Oil in the Tranny and Transfer Case.  So, what do I use and where do I get it?
Thanks for any help and enjoy your Memorial Day Weekends.  Greg
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by SYLVANWILLYS SYLVANWILLYS wrote:

... but when I spoke to Valvoline and a often-referenced (positively in posts on the cj2apage) major CJ2A parts retailer, they said just use the regular 80-90 weight Hypoid gear oil used in differentials etc and sold in all normal parts stores ...
NO!Exclamation  Do NOT use hypoid differential oil in the transmission.  Just use regular non-hypoid 80-90 wt gear oil, available at any good parts store.

murmsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murmsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 4:44pm
what is Hypoid oil? It sounds like a childhood sickness.

steve 
1946 #61019+-
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:11pm
Steve,

Hypoid oil has more additives that are included so that the lubricant can withstand the greater gear pressures that are inherent with hypoid cut gears.  Differential gears are of a hypoid design, but the T90 gears are straight cut.

That said, Sean, it is not clear to me why using hypoid oil with non-hypoid gears should be avoided.  It seems as though the lubricant would still function just fine for non-hypoid gears.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

That said, Sean, it is not clear to me why using hypoid oil with non-hypoid gears should be avoided.  It seems as though the lubricant would still function just fine for non-hypoid gears.
It's the hypoid "additives", not entirely compatible w/bronze bushings & thrust washers.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:25pm
That makes sense.  When a more modern transmission contains hypoid gears, what materials are used for bushing and thrust washers?  I can see that bearings could easily replace bushings, but some kind of spacers and thrust washers would be needed here and there, I think.

Edited by samcj2a - 27 May 2011 at 5:26pm
Sam

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:45pm
Sam, don't know how most newer transmissions are made bearing-wise, but transmission gears in general don't have the extreme axial offsets that differential gears have, which is the whole reason for EP hypoid "additives".

And I don't know the "chemistries" either, other than that many hypoid additives are sulphur based, and detrimental to phosphor bronze (yellow metals in general).

YMMV
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:50pm
Thanks, Sean.  If I ever see something that sounds authoritative on the unknowns here, I will post it along with the source
Sam

wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 10:05pm
Only first gear and the reverse idler are straight cut spur gears. Second and third are standard helical cut gears. Low range gears in the transfer case are also spur gearing.

Originally posted by Bob is The Oil Guy Bob is The Oil Guy wrote:

GL-4; Specified for hypoid gear service under severe service but without shock loading. This classification is essentially obsolete but is still specified by some manual transmission/transaxle manufacturers. Implies an EP/AW additive package that contains 30% to 50% less S-P additives than the GL-5 service classification. Some Marine Gear Lubes fall into this classification, especially the full Synthetic Marine Gear lubes and specialty blenders MT lubes that use high levels of esters.

GL-5; Specified for hypoid gear service but with shock loads and severe service operation. Usually meets Mil-L-2105D and in most cases, is the multipurpose automotive gear oil. Most 75W90 to 75W140 grades meet the GL-5 classification. This grade has a high level of Extreme-Pressure additives that could be mildly corrosive to nonferrous parts, such as brass, bronze and aluminum parts. Most of the modern GL-5 lubes contain metal deactivators that prevents attacks by the extreme-pressure additives. In addition to EP additives, these lubes contain rust inhibitors, defoamants, friction modifiers, thickeners, and Viscosity Index Improvers.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729255
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729289

Edited by wyowillys46 - 27 May 2011 at 10:08pm
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 10:43pm
I use a GL4/GL5 rated gear oil. That way I don't have to remember which goes in which.LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
SYLVANWILLYS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 3:19am
Thank you all for the feedback.  What Sean is saying is very consistent with what one of the Lucas Oil top tech guys told me.   The tech guy said that Sulfur is used in the fluids meant for Hypoid situations and is what gives Hypoids their extreme pressure properties.  He said Sulfur damages Yellow Metals, like bronze and he felt that is why Willy's would have said to use Mineral Gear oil.   How sad it is that so many people may have been told by experts (including Willy's jeep experts) over the years to use the common gear oils that are good for Hypoid situations.    Yesterday the Valvoline tech guy repeatedly told me I should use their  80W-90 Gear oil and told me the part number is VV831.    I just copied and pasted the following from Valvoline's MDS sheet for that product from Valvoline's website and the MDS sheet includes the following wording:
1) Hazardous decomposition products
carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, nitrogen and phosphorus, Hydrocarbons

2) LUBRICANT ADDITIVE
DI-TERT-BUTYL POLYSULFIDE 68937-96-2
PHOSPHORIC ACID ESTERS/AMINE SALT
Pennsylvania RTK

Does that mean the product contains Sulfur additives?  If yes, then it sure sounds like it could be damaging the old CJ2As' internals.   One more bit of information that the Lucas tech told me in case it helps anyone:  He said the Lucas product that would be proper for the CJ2A transmission and transfer case would be their  "50 WEIGHT SYNTHETIC TRANS LUBE"  product (he said don't be fooled by the 50 WEIGHT wording because it actually has a 90 Viscosity and he said something like they put the 50 WEIGHT wording in there so people won't mistakenly think it is 90 gear oil for hypoid situations).   He said they only sell it in a gallon size and that the part number is 10146.   He mentioned some company that uses it in all of their big rig trucks' transmissions because they have bronze components within the transmissions.  I will have to research the product a bit more to make sure that it is safe for the CJ2A.  Any feedback on this Lucas product from all of you is greatly appreciated.   Bottom line, as always, the devil is in the details.  To be safe, I guess people should find out if the fluid in their trannys and transfer cases has sulfur additives.  Thanks again to all and enjoy your holiday weekend.  Best, Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 5:10pm
Some new information I just found on the internet:
----Good related Discussion group link:
 http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/2484-manual-transmission-fluid.html

----Will see from that discussion group that Red-Line and Pennzoil and GM  have products that are Yellow Metal friendly.   I've emailed Pennzoil for their input and will be calling Red-Line next week for their thoughts.

----Apparently Synchromesh (at least some of them) components within transmissions are made from Yellow Metals.   CJ2A's have Synchromesh components?

---The previously mentioned Lucas product:  I can't find it anywhere on Lucas' site even when I used the Lucas product number; however, when I googled the product name and part number i got hits to retailers that sell it and list it with that part number.   I've emailed the local Lucas rep for links to technical data on this product.

Will let you know if I learn any additional info.  Thanks again.
rigidsteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rigidsteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 5:14pm
Just use regular gear oil 80-90w it'll be just fine.
DR Phelps
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:42pm
This article explains it pretty good.
http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/2007/article_gearoilbasics.aspx
I'm not an Amsoil advocate (neither here nor there IMO) but the article appears in their site but they didn't write it.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 1:43pm
HI,  Just updating.   Below is what both Pennzoil and Red Line Oil had to say on this topic.  I will add more from other companies as obtained. 

------------PENNZOIL:
----I Asked:    Hi, I have a 1946 Willy's Jeep CJ2A.  The original Willy's documents say to use a "MINERAL GEAR OIL" in my transmission and transfer case  (for the Differentials they say to use a Hypoid gear oil).  Can you tell me what Pennzoil product is safe and best to use in my Transmission and Transfer Case?
----   Pennzoil responded: 
Thank you for your inquiry.  For your differential, you can use Pennzoil or any 80W-90 GL5 gear oil.  However, for the Transmission and Transfer case, you will need an 80W90 GL1 or GL3 gear oil.  That is difficult to find.  You may be able to find it at your local Jeep or Mitsubishi dealer.
----I Askedl:  
Thanks for your quick response and I will call the Jeep dealer and ask if they have it.  Can you let me know why the GL-5 gear oil is no good and also if Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid(I think that is the name) is good and safe to use in my Transmission and Transfer Case?
----Pennzoil responded:  
The GL5 has more of the EP additive then GL4, GL3, GL2 or GL1.  The
EP additive will destroy the Yellow metals of the Transmission or Transfer case.  As for the Synchromesh it is a much lighter viscosity than the Gear Lubes listed below. Should you desire to speak with a technical representative to discuss this issue in more detail please call Pennzoil-Quaker State Technical  Information at 1-800-237-8645.  Sincerely Product Technical Service

-------RED LINE OIL:
---I Asked:  WHAT IS THE CORRECT FLUID FOR THE TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER CASE. ORIGINAL WILLY'S DOCUMENTS SAY TO USE 80 OR 90 weight "MINERAL GEAR OIL". Thanks, Greg
---Red Line Responded: Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Jeep’s transmission and transfer case the MT-90 would be recommended a good choice for both.   Regards,  Red Line Oil

The "MT-90 link in Red Line's response does not seem to work  here but it takes you to this web address: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7 ,, and the information on that product page includes:

• Offers quicker shifts, perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction
  • Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage
  • High performance gear protection and longer synchro life

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 2:09pm
Well, thanks to Greg for asking the question and Sean for posting the essential caution, and then Greg for pursuing more  specifics from the suppliers, this has become a good education.  Thanks to all. Clap
Sam

Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2011 at 1:12pm
NAPA still sells 90W GL-4 and I have been using it in my jeep.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 4:15am
Just wanted to share the latest from Valvoline and Napa:

-----VALVOLINE: can see one of my previous posts up above and what they had told me.  Funny what happens when you call the same number at the same company and ask the same questions, but speak to a different technician!   After sharing what Willy's calls for in the transmission and transfer case he said the best Valvoline product for this application is their:   GL-1 MINERAL GEAR OIL and is a straight 90wt and they only sell it in 5 gallon pails and the part number is  70044 (I think it also is called Valvoline TRA Gear Lubricanta, 5 Gal, 90 and is that same Valvoline part number) and can get it at NAPA (which I verified by call NAPA).  I asked the Valvoline tech if regular gear oils would harm the transmission and transfer case and he brought up how they have Sulphur and it hurts yellow metals.  I also found it on Grainger's site and it may be less expensive.  There seems to be no info on Valvoline's website and I called them back and they emailed a very brief one page product info sheet.  If anyone wants to see it and if there is a way to post it on our website here then let me know.  

-----NAPA: When I called to verify they could get the Valvoline product the guy said that NAPA also carries a GL-1 gear oil and that is it made at the same factory as the Valvoline product and it is the exact same oil.   I compared their product literature (including MSDS sheet) to Valvoline's and it seems that they are definitely not the same oil.   The part number is  NHF 65201 and it says that it is also a GL-1  90WT gear oil.  

-----LUCAS:  You can see my prior info on what they had told me.  As with Valvoline I called back and the rep I got this time of course recommended something completely different than what the first Lucas tech told me.   I shared with him what the first rep said and he went back and talked to that rep and to a Lucas chemist and called me back and said the chemis suggests what the first rep said, use the Synthetic 50 wt Trans Lube product

BOTTOM BOTTOM LINE:  Read and review everything and make your own conclusions.   For my part I think as a best guess hunch at this point I think that I will go with the Valvoline GL-1  gear oil and will buy the 5 gallon pail, which is more than I need.   If anyone in the CENTRAL NJ AREA (Princeton/Trenton area) wants any, then just let me know and I can split proportionally as you need.

Thanks again for everyone's help and if anyone learns anything more, please add on here.   I'll never believe again that there is something called a "simple question"!!

Best,

Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>