Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electro-Willys could use your help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electro-Willys could use your help
    Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 3:01pm
Thanks Hans, but he won and I didn't.  He played by the rules.  I just didn't get as creative as he did at the end.  Merit got us into the final 10 contestants.  After that it was simply public votes, and the one with the most at the end gets the prize.  I knew going in that only the #1 position got anything.  That's why I tried so hard.  I just needed more creativity. 

I'm pretty well over the disappointment.  It's time to refocus and get moving on the other things I can do, like rebuild the trailer, see if we can afford the generator, start buying steel for the trailer top.  I'm going to take another hard look at used Prius batteries to see if there is a way for me to use them as replacements for my Lead-Acid battery pack.  If I can then it'll be time to contact salvage yards to see if they have any destroyed Prius cars.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 5:15am
Mike,
 I would like to know the contact information for anyone at EVTV who I could write in order to express my deep disappointment. If Brandon stuffed the ballot box with a Youtube video I think that EVTV should give you another look based on your merits alone. It would probably do them good to expand their vision to include the Electro-Willys because it would make for good TV. With Brandon they are putting all of their eggs in one basket. As I recall there were some components that were up as the prize that you did not need and or could not use (the Netgain motor was one?) so you would be a cheap date (no offense intended) for them as a runner-up contestant if they were to do a parallel piece on the E-Willys.

Sincerely,
 Hans

Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 4:49am

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT!!

I spent a lot of time reflecting on it all as I drove home across Kansas and eastern Colorado.  It's pretty empty out there, what else did I have to do?   Like a few of you have pointed out, I did not loose anything in the contest.  Nothing was taken away.  I did get to make some new friends, and to share what I've done with Electro-Willys with many Electric Vehicle rebuilding professionals.  I got many compliments from them about my work and where I want to go with this project.  That was very encouraging.  I did not get to bring the grand prize home despite months of hard work.  That would have solved some of the technical problems I have to fix in order to take this jeep to Alaska.  But there are other ways to solve those problems. 

Brandon won the contest because he did something I did not.  He made a you-tube video basically begging for votes.  And he got them.  Enough to take the lead.  DANG!!  Why didn't I think of that??!  He followed all the rules, and he got just enough votes to win the day.  I shook his hand and wished him success with his project.  I know how hard I worked and how creative I had to get to give him some competition.  I know he had to work at it too.  I respect that.  He has a good project persued with good intentions.  Now he has to figure out what to do with it all.  And I have to figure out how to do without it all. 

I've beaten the odds so far by doing what I've already done.  Most first time EV builders never finish their project.  I'm already using mine as my daily driver.   I'm set back a little, but with some help I'll get it all figured out and make the Alaska trip happen.   I'm sure I'll do some more wishing that something would have been different, and that I would have won, but that will not change history.  So it's time to relax, take a deep breath, refocus on my objectives, review my priorities, and get ready for the future.  In the immortal words of Chief Dan George as he addressed the outlaw Josse Wales, "We shall endeaver to persevere!" 

THANK YOU ALL!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
mderick25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderick25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 9:36pm
Truly sorry to hear this Mike,
sure hope to meet up with you on your trip next year.
jeepjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 3:06pm
Hey Mike your looking at it all wrong!  Of course they let the other guy "win" after all he has some CAR that no one in there right mind would ever WANT to drive!  You have the JEEP that is a blast to drive, can go someplace that the other battery car cant go....hummm OFF ROAD! and remember his battery car is a toy, yours won a war!  Also if that dosent help, try this Your the 1st place electric Jeep 4x4. they just didnt have a class for your jeep to be in.  Also you built something that Jeep, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, or anyone else for that matter could build an electric 4x4 daily driver!  That sounds like bragging rights!!!!

I know that it sucks, and Ive sat scratching my head about other jeeps and (cars) that have beat me in car shows.  They are all subjectve, if it were 2deg warmer and the planet formaly known as pluto were 20 cubic miles bigger the results would have been diffrent.

Over all GREAT JOB and you have all of our votes.
My Jeep won a war, Your Honda mowed my yard!
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 2:35am
Sorry to hear this Mike  I thought you were a shoe-in.  Sure was hopeing for the best.
Ed
cj2a lefty
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 2:14am
It is sad and surprising to hear you did not win.Cry Kathy and I were quite impressed in your electric jeep. Its even a daily driver! How can you beat that? Who and what won? Was it the Taxi cab? Angry  there must be a silver lining in this somewhere. So Sorry Mike......... Maybe they will do this contest again next year?
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 10:40pm
Damng! Remember you are always the winner here. I can say that you have inspired me to one day do a similar project when finances allow. 
Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496
baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 4:06pm
Sorry to here that Mike. Just remember though, that you still have the Jeep. They just have other cars. Safe travels.
nashdog View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 4:02pm
Damn!  Sorry bout that, Mike!  I kinda agree with Roc--it seems wacky that they didn't keep the voting results transparent at the end.... Take heart, though, brother--everybody here knows who should have won!
insured by HK
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 3:20pm
Mike,

That's a big disappointment, but I'm sure you know to focus on the positives.  Have a safe trip home!

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 3:07pm

Not posting the % all the way to the end seems sort of suspect to me but I guess there could be reasons.

Sorry about this contest but just keep in mind what you have contributed overall.

Have a safe trip and don't dwell on the other.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 2:26pm
when can we see pics of the POS that did win? i feel like getting sick right now....

have a safe trip home....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 1:30pm
Dont take is personally Mike.  
1952 m38
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 1:18pm
I wish I knew what to say as well.  It is a let down to the community, but I think that better things are yet to come.  Have a safe trip home.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 12:23pm

....rigged....
Mike you are a winner here with us, always!
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 12:16pm
Dammit! I was really hoping you would win!

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2011 at 8:19am

Ahhh sh*t, Oh well. Your still a very lucky man! Cheer up!

Maker of the Reedkini
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>