Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your other other project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 2:36am
I hope to have moving under it's own power by next year.  It now rolls with a tow but it rolls.

I NOTICED JEEP OWNERS ARE VERY BUSY PEOPLEApprove

Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 4:33am
Our next project; mechanically she's sound as can be... just need to replace the fabric...

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 4:37am
Cordell, what have you got there?
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 4:42am
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champ 
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 4:54am
Recognize those back windows and was looking to put them with a plane.  What Motor?  Are you doing the fabric.  Here is my 48 Cessna 170, aluminum body , cloth wings.  Got a few hours in last week.  Still not tail dragger certified.

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 5:07am
That's a very nice airplane, Love the finish! The Aeronca has a Continental 65hp, however has the engine mount to accept the C85 and set up for float fittings.. which would be nice at one point. I'm not sure exactly how we plan to recover, but most likely... due to cost efficiency, probably attend a few seminars and attempt it ourselves. I'm not certified yet, either... I've been flying with my dad since I've been three years old though and I guess flying always stuck...

Edited by CmK - 02 Apr. 2012 at 5:11am
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 3:50pm
VERY nice wings guys! Clap

Wish I were back your way, could get you tailwheel checked (CFI single, multi & no-engine).  Got my intro in a J-3 (most fun I've ever had w/an engine!), then more time in Super Cubs, Stinsons, Citabrias, Decathlons, and started on Stearmans (but had to move Cry).

Once ya switch, ya never wanna go back! LOL

Sean
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 3:58pm
my loooong-term project..
building a jeep salad from scrap/spare parts..(if anyone has yard art quality parts let me know)

46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
JIMO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Originally posted by JIMO JIMO wrote:

Time to wake up this thread again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyzXL7FtfUg&feature=youtu.be

OOOOOh my butt hurts after watching that one.. Neat lil dozer!

Yeeaahh....that was the last time I had operated it....about 1.5 months ago.  It got me in the back, knees and shoulders.....now working on a better seat!

Thanks for the compliments.

Jim 
1946 CJ-2A
1996 F-150
2000 XJ
MITY KAT CRAWLER

"I love it when a plan comes together"
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2019 at 6:50pm
I know this thread is old but I think we should bring it back. 
My other project is a 1941 Ford GP. It’s a fun little vehicle and very different from the CJ2A for only having 4 years separate them.

My Dad and Brother also love mid sixties Fords and my Brother picked up a 1964 Ford Thunderbird Barnfind which we cleaned up and got running and driving for the first time in 44 years.

Edited by TateC - 06 Dec. 2019 at 1:38am
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2019 at 12:52am
I have a 1964 Thunderbird convertible, bought it in July 1978.  Wife & I drove it to hot August nights back in 1999, it's pretty much sat unused in my garage ever since. Kind of lost interest in it. 

Edited by dasvis - 06 Dec. 2019 at 5:57pm
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Hillwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 12:35am
This is what I worked on day and night last summer. 1978 f250 ranger 4x4 Supercab trailer special.  cleaned and degreased sooo much crud off of the front and rear axles and as much frame as I could reach from bumpers inward to past the spring perches and wire wheeled all parts I could and degreased again with toothbrushes and dawn dish soap and water and prepped with ospho to convert the remaining rust then rattle canned with VHT chassis and roll bar paint, it was a LOT of work but looks really good. On the front I replaced ball joints, all seals and bearings (except carrier bearings) brake lines, replaced calipers, rotors, did 4 wheel disc conversion on the rear, replaced brake distribution valve, new master cylinder and did hydroboost swap. Pulled the entire interior and wirewheeled the floors and treated with ospho and used a scuff pad on the interior paint, prepped, taped and repainted the interior and dash and replaced the weatherstripping. It Looked good.  after some test driving and checking systems and bedding the brakes I took it to town to return the brake flaring tool I rented. I heard a pop after coming across some railroad tracks so when I got to the parts store I checked and everything seemed ok. Stopped at a friend’s house on the way back and saw gear oil pouring out of the rear axle seal on the driver side. Got it it home and pulled things apart... yep, Grenaded the bearings. One of the only things I didn’t replace was the rear inner and outer wheel bearings and spindle nuts. They looked ok and I had ran out of truck money so I reused them. The spindle nut washers had me worried and I should have listened to my gut. I think that’s what caused it. A couple locking tabs on the spindle nut washers looked weak, but instead of breaking them off or buying new ones I went against my gut feeling. I am fairly certain the tabs broke off and got in the bearings. Everything was torqued by the book and I followed correct procedure for preloading the bearings. The driver side outer wheel bearing exploded and the passenger side outer. The spindle on the driver side is chewed up pretty good. They’re weld on spindles also so No quick easy spindle replacement. So it sits until I can formulate a plan and save the money. Then I can get it back out of the shop and get my Jeep in the shop! Anyway... goodtimes! LOL

Edited by Hillwillys - 07 Dec. 2019 at 12:41am
Hillwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 12:43am
Tate c, that barnfind thunderbird looks sweet! 
Awesome before and after photos in front of the barn too!
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 11:26pm
I bought this one in May of 2019...blew it completely apart...currently getting an old school black iron pipe roll cage installed...frame was really crusty
 when I got it...I had not fiddled with an early Ford since the 1970's...felt good to be tinkering with one again...always wanted an old Jalopy and what better one than a 1940 Ford...supposedly has history in the state of New Jersey at Vineland Speedway and Atlantic City Speedway also....
Hoping to be putting a motor and tranny in it this coming summer

I am the squirrel....
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 12:19am
This is my other project.  Got rid of major rust but still has some bodywork needed prior to repaint.  Has taken a bunch of time away from my 48 Cj2a 
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Hillwillys Hillwillys wrote:

Tate c, that barnfind thunderbird looks sweet! 
Awesome before and after photos in front of the barn too!
Thanks Hillwillys it was a fun project. Sorry to hear about the issue with the truck, hopefully you get it figured out soon.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 12:22am
To all,

This is my current "other project".

1964 Ford Ranchero

Photo is current, doing mechanical work on her now. Paint will come after mechanical work is completed. Currently in the process of putting in a Disc brake set up on the front axle as well as a double reservoir power brake booster. The Disc brake setup should be better to slow down the big ole 260 CI with the three on the tree.

Frank
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 12:35am
I have always thought Rancheros were super cool. That looks like a really clean vehicle to start with. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>