Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission-Transfer Case Fluid Connection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission-Transfer Case Fluid Connection
    Posted: 20 June 2011 at 2:38pm
Hi,  I can't find answer in prior topics and am hoping for some advice.

The Willy's Mechanic's manual includes:   "All transfer cases should be serviced separately (from the transmission) even thought the lubricant circulates to the transmission."

My initial impression after reading that was that the fluid "flows freely" between the two units.   Yesterday I noticed that the transmission's fill hole is around 1.5" higher than the transfer case's fill hole and that the transmissions drain hole is around 2" higher than the transfer case's drain hole.

Based on my initial impression and based on "fluids always seek their own level" (yes, even Willy's follow the laws of physics, when not off-roading), that would mean that if I filled to the transmission's fill hole that the level would be above the transfer case's fill hole and that the transfer case would be overfilled.

My guess is that my "flows freely" initial impression is not accurate and that the  "....lubricant circulates to the transmission" via some pumping action that also prevents the fluid to seek a common level in the two units.

Can anyone share some detail regarding all of this?  I've held off draining and refilling the units until I've gotten some feedback from here.

Thanks as always!  Greg

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 3:25pm
SYLVANWILLYS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 4:22pm
Hey Sean, Thanks for the very helpful link.   If I accurately understand what you were saying in that link, the lowest open passageway between the TRANS and the TC is the one that is level with the TRANS' fill plug hole.   Since the TRANS' fill plug hole seems to be around 1.5" higher than the TC's fill plug hole, is it possible that if both units were initially filled to their respective fill plug hole level, that when the jeep is driven at a certain angle (be it  up or down hill or a side slope) that the TRANS' fluid could flow through the lowest open passageway and into the TC and when the jeep is back on level ground that the TRANS fluid level would then be below its own fill plug hole and that the TC's fluid level would be above its own fill plug hole level?  If yes, is that ok for continued operation?  If yes, why didn't they put the fill plug holes on both units at the same level (assuming that I am correct in stating that they are about 1.5" different heights)?     Also, what is the correct drain/fill sequence when doing both units?   After draining both does it matter which one is filled first?  
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 5:41pm
With cross-drilling, the transfer case gets "overfilled", above it's own fill plug.  The early /late lube specs indicate this:
  • early segregated sumps:  transmission 3 pints, transfer case 3 pints
  • with cross-drilled sumps: transmission 3 pints, transfer case 3.5 pints
Fill the transfer case first & bung it up.  Then fill the transmission, and allow time for that extra "half-pint" to flow thru to the transfer case.

Once both are filled to the cross-flow hole level, the oil will flow back & forth freely as needed.

Sean
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 9:28pm

Not an expert either, but wasn't there an issue with some gaskets having and not having the prepunched hole for this passage?

Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

... but wasn't there an issue with some gaskets having and not having the prepunched hole for this passage?
Yes, they do require different gaskets.  Some gasket kits have both (mine did), just a matter of choosing the right one, or adding holes to the early gasket.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 2:23pm
Thanks for the detailed explanation and fill sequence. That is exactly what I needed.   Hopefully the cross-flow hole is slightly lower than the Transmission's fill plug hole; otherwise, if the jeep was not on perfectly level ground when filling,  then the fluid may never reach the cross-flow hole level.  Thanks again. Greg
mderick25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderick25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 6:53pm

this board is the "Best" it seems when ever I have a question it gets answered before I can even ask it some times. I had the exact same question, and with this answer, filled up my transfer case and transmission last night.

thanks for all your knowledge, it really is appreciated by many.

I know it's stressed over and over to get a manual, but hearing it some times is also really reassuring.

md

oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 8:32pm
I would like to second what md just posted.  This thread also answered my questions the very day I got to this point in my rebuild.  There is also a great thread on the correct tranny fluid to use.  Search "transmission fluid" if you have any questions, but don't go to your local parts store and think that you can just ask for some non-hypoid gear oil and get anywhere.  You'll get answers like - hy what? or yep any of that gear oil will work!  Ask them if their stuff will hurt yellow metal and you get - yellow what?   
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by mderick25 mderick25 wrote:

... with this answer, filled up my transfer case and transmission last night ...
Didja happen to keep track of exactly how much total oil it took?

Sean
mderick25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderick25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 6:36pm
Sorry for the dleay Sean;
I put in the recommended amounts above. I'm going to let it sit for a day or two then check it.
I'm sure it will be fine based on the above amounts 3 Liters total.

oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 7:56pm
Hey there Sean and md,
I was in a good spot to check this out and I just finished.  Got a measuring funnel and a length of plastic hose and put exactly 3 1/2 pts of GL1 mineral oil in the transfer case and it just started to drip out of the fill hole.  I had the shift tower off of the tranny and I measured 3 pts in it and it came up to less than an eighth of an inch below the tranny fill hole.  My Jeeps serial number is 192834 so it looks to me like the info on the later model T90 is right on the money.  Thanks for the help.  TN
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 3:10am

Drained and replaced Transmission (TR) and Transfer Case (TC) over the weekend and made several measurements along the way so as to add to the  TR – TC fluid connection passageway data collection.  Used the Valvoline GL1 Gear Oil mentioned in one of my prior posts, above.   Some of the readings don’t make sense to me, but I’ll leave that up to someone else.   (Just to be sure I’m not misidentifying the units, when I reference the TR,  it is towards the driver’s side and the TC is towards the passenger side and the front and rear driveshafts go into the TC).

Some General Info:  
Serial number 26448,    3 on the tree.    Bought the jeep 6 weeks ago and it had been rarely driven in at least the prior 9 years.   Fluid was dripping from the underside of the emergency brake drum (for lack of a better word) at the back of the TC even before I bought the jeep and had continued to drip during the entire 6 weeks I’ve owned it including right up to doing the TR and TC drain and fill.   Gears grind a little bit (especially when warmed up) sometimes when going from 3rd to second,  and sometimes at a standstill going into first or reverse.   Regarding the measurements below:  The drain volumes should be extremely accurate (used a measuring cup).  The fill volumes should be very accurate (used the see-through side of a 5 quart oil container that had quart lines on the container).   All drain and fill completed with all 4 wheels on garage floor with a slight downward slope from front to rear of vehicle.

----Opened the TR fill plug and was filled to the plug hole (used 90 degree piece of wire) but no overflow came out.
----Opened the TC fill plug and 4 oz came out (color half way between milk chocolate and dark chocolate and seemed old).   Then checked the TR fill hole and its level was unchanged.   I noticed that the ABOVE MENTIONED LEAK UNDER THE EMBERGENCY BRAKE DRUM HAD NOW STOPPED (now 2 days and 30 miles later the leak is now basically non-existent – A NICE SURPRISE!).
----Opened up the TC drain plug and an additional 62 oz came out (I am sure of this number)
----Then checked TR fill hole and I don’t think the level had gone down,  but if it had, then was around 3/16”.   
---Opened TR drain plug and 52 oz came out.
---Installed TR drain plug but did NOT install TC drain plug, and then starting filling the TR.  After around 20 oz some started draining from the TC drain hole but only a couple of ounces came out and it stopped.   TR took very close to 48 oz before it started overflowing the TR fill hole.
----Installed the TC drain plug and filled the TC through the TC fill hole and it took 51 ounces.
---Checked the TR fill hole and it seemed to still be filled to the hole.  I tried adding more but it immediately started running out its fill hole.
-----------Since the TR’s fill hole is around 1.5 inches higher than the TC’s  fill hole and since both units were filled to their respective fill hole when I was done, it seems that the connecting passageway between the units must be as high or higher than the TR’s fill hole.   If this is true, I’m not sure of the connecting passageway’s function.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 3:59pm
Good info Greg!  Not quite sure what to make of the irregularities though.

Quote ...it seems that the connecting passageway between the units must be as high or higher than the TR’s fill hole ...
We need some accurate measurements.  My transmission is the earlier, non-drilled, so I have nothing to go by.  Perhaps someone with a bare case can help out.

Quote ... If this is true, I’m not sure of the connecting passageway’s function.
Would serve to limit the level w/in the transmission.  In the segregated sump units, oil tended to migrate from TC to transmission thru the bearing shield, leaving the transmission "overfull".

So even if the cross-flow hole were at the transmission fill level, excess would flow back into the TC, leaving the transmission at it's "normal" level.

However, if the cross-flow hole is right at the fill level, your earlier premise is correct:  going uphill, oil would flow into the TC, leaving the transmission low when returning to level ground.  BUT ... since it wants to "migrate" back to the transmission, it would eventually come back up to the fill/cross-flow level.

Just my theory anyway, since Willys didn't elaborate on their reasoning.

Quote ... TR took very close to 48 oz before it started overflowing the TR fill hole ...
That's right on the money according to spec:  3 pints = 48 ozs

Quote ... Installed the TC drain plug and filled the TC through the TC fill hole and it took 51 ounces...
And that's in-between the 2 specs:  3 & 3.5 pints.  I wonder now if the earlier "3 pint" spec was in error.

Quote ... Opened the TC fill plug and 4 oz came out ... Opened up the TC drain plug and an additional 62 oz came out ...
So 66 oz total in the TC (4 1/8 pints).

Hmmm, this would imply that oil did not migrate back to the transmission!  Then, each time the PO checked transmission level, it was low, so topped it off again, until it eventually stabilized, and the TC became "overfull".

Perhaps that 's what Willys had in mind? Who knows!

Sean
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 4:27pm
Here is a bit of information that Willys did publish....
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 7:54pm
so then to properly check fluid levels you should first  check tr(rans) level, then TC level, to ensure fluid has returned  to trans. if needed drain tc to proper level and possibly fill trans to its level as well hopefully there is a net zero balance.
easy to see how someone might mess this up.
would fluid be "pumped" back into trans when using pto? if so it would seem that before checking fluids it would be a good idea to do that in order to get fluid back to the tr.

Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 8:49pm
After reading Bob's information, I think we may be overthinking this thing.  Just put 3 pints in the transmission, replace the fill plug and then put 3-1/2 pints in the transfer case and you are done.  The Willys publication said that in normal operation each case would be within 15 percent of its normal level - that's plus or minus 15 percent as I read it.  In other words, 15 percent overfill of the transmission is perfectly acceptable.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Here is a bit of information that Willys did publish....
Awesome Bob!  Is there any other description to go along with that drawing?  ie, I'm wondering what they considered holed "B", "D" & "E" to be.

I think I understand willys "thinking" now.

The holes did more than eliminate the "unintended oil migration" issue from earlier non-drilled cases.  It actively promoted intentional circulation!

This photo is close enough that you can see the lowest holes ("A" & "B") are right at the transmission fill plug level.  This would guarantee that the transmission could not remain "over full" in the long run.  Holes are marked to correspond to Bobs drawing:

Not shown in the drawing is that hole "A" in the transfer case does not line up w/hole "A" in the transmission.  It is higher, and closer to centerline, than the transmission hole, with a channel cut to connect the two holes (lower left arrow).

Hole "A" in the transfer case coincides w/the max mesh point of the gears, as indicated by the drawing.  When oil is squeezed out of the gears, it enters hole "A" in the transfer case, flows down the channel and into the transmission.

Hole "B" is the oil return passage to the transfer case.

So why did they implement an "active" circulation system?  To prevent a trasmission too-low situation: via the scenario Greg posed earlier.

When going uphill, oil would flow from transmission to transfer case, leaving the transmission low when returning to level ground.

Since the earlier "unintentional" migration was a very slow process (and didn't always happen), it could have left the transmission too low for many miles.  By "actively" pumping oil to the transmission, it would bring it back to full much sooner.

Bottom line, each case oil level can and should be checked independently.

Sean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>