Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1947? T3-C Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 1947? T3-C Project
    Posted: 10 July 2011 at 3:05am
I have a Bantam T3-C that is close to being restored. I was unable to find any serial numbers stamped on the frame, gussets, or tub... even after media blasting. The bottom layer of paint looked like a dark green, which was under layers of other old paint, including OD / Camo. Below is a Maryland VIN Tag that was screwed to the frame. I believe this was a replacement tag. Sorry for the poor photo, but it reads: 144502 and the title says it is a 1947.

Any help confirming this will be appreciated! Here are some more photos taken last evening. Everything was media blasted and is being primed. The frame will be painted black and the tub & wheels will be painted yellow to match my CJ3A.

I plan to get a repro bantam ID Tag made with the same number as the MD MVA replacement tag.
'51 CJ3A, '47 Bantam Trailer, '83 CJ8 Scrambler, '93 YJ Wrangler
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 4:27am
That's a later version T3-C, '47 would be an appropriate year. If you look at the various features on the T3C page you'll see why I came to this conclusion. Looks pretty complete, did you get a taillight with it?
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 12:51am
Thanks bkreutz!
It had a couple of tail lights with it, but they were a little rough. Both lenses said Stimsonite at the top with 272 at the bottom. The lenses feel like they are plastic, but I didn't take them apart to check. I'll probably bead blast them later on and restore them.

Here's what gone done today:

I got Firestone 7.00x16 NDCC's to match my CJ3A. I am hoping to have her complete for the PA Jeeps All Breeds Jeep Show this coming weekend!
chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 4:04am
The '47 came out of the garage with her new paint job today. Still need to do a few more things to finish up. I plan to have the inside of the bed and tailgate sprayed with LineX, so nobody will ever have to restore it again! I will need to get a pair of reflectors as well. The current wiring harness has been repaired, but I want to re-do it and get some vintage style loom to cover it.

I used a pair of NACO repro tail lights that I got from Walck's so they match the ones on the Willys. There were holes from the previous tail light on the right rear support, so I just used them for the NACO. The original license plate bracket was salvageable too.

Towed her home with the F-150. Bounced around a bit, but made it home in one piece. Had to use longer safety chains to reach the pick-up...

I am happy with the end results! I drove around for about 1/2 hour and it pulled like it was meant to be there!

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 4:53am
Just don't try to back up very far (that short tongue makes that a real adventureLOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 4:01pm
Looks great!
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 9:34pm
Man, your whole rig looks great!!

Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 9:29pm
Thanks for the positive feedback!

I will post some more photos after I get the ID Tag from the Netherlands installed and the LineX sprayed in the bed. I got some vintage 4" metal reflector rings from a vendor at the PA Jeeps show last weekend. I will insert plastic reflectors until I find glass replacements... just so it is street legal.

I towed the Bantam 30 miles to York, PA for the PA Jeeps show. It rolls so nice I really didn't notice it was there! Got a lot of compliments from fellow Jeep folks who seem to be showing more interest in "Jeep Trailers" lately!
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 10:26pm
Looks great Mike!  Saw it at the show, I stopped by to say high at the sign is tent but you where busy.  
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 3:44pm
I just received my Bantam Data Plate from the fellow in the Netherlands and installed it last evening. Looks lots better than the old Maryland MVA tag!

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 4:12pm
I'm pretty sure the original reflectors were actually plastic......not glass. Just a coarser pattern than th emodern reflectors.. Check out antique shops for sets of roadside reflectors, the older ones have the non sae marked lenses that are correct. (Assuming it is the same as the jeep uses)
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

I'm pretty sure the original reflectors were actually plastic......not glass. Just a coarser pattern than th emodern reflectors.. Check out antique shops for sets of roadside reflectors, the older ones have the non sae marked lenses that are correct. (Assuming it is the same as the jeep uses)

Thanks for the tip!
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 9:05pm
Bill, you're correct. The original Grotelites were plastic, and the red faded to white over the years (that's why all the pictures that show original reflectors the lenses look white). 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2011 at 1:35am
Here are a couple of shots I took at the PA Jeeps Show, in York. A number of nice flatties showed up this year. Saw a few "Jeep trailers" modified for use with newer Jeeps too!

Just stripped gobs of black paint off the reflector bezels I bought for 5 bucks from a used parts vendor at the show, and found thick OD Green underneath. Guess they came off a military Jeep or trailer. They are stamped with a serial number and marked "US." Got plastic reflectors to put in them once they are repainted black. Line-X is scheduled for the bed this Thursday. Will post some pics when that's done.

I have the original wood racks and am working on redoing them with fresh oak to replace the old weather beaten ones. The metal brackets should look better after they get bead blasted and painted...
chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2011 at 11:25pm
Here are a few shots of the reflector bezels after the last bit of OD paint was stripped off. The serial numbers are plain to see. Anyone know what they may mean? (Date, etc.)

Brezzypines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brezzypines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2011 at 12:28am
Chasm you mentioned you saw some of these trailers moified for use with newer Jeeps what kinds and do you have any pictures of them? I will be pulling my '47 with my '99 Cherokee.
chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2011 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Brezzypines Brezzypines wrote:

Chasm you mentioned you saw some of these trailers moified for use with newer Jeeps what kinds and do you have any pictures of them? I will be pulling my '47 with my '99 Cherokee.
                                                                                                                                                            A number of them looked like military trailers, based on the 4 hooks on the sides and the grab handles I saw. One guy had a neat rack set-up me made to haul kayaks and camping gear! Didn't get any pics of them. Sorry.

chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2011 at 4:36pm
Reflectors are finished and installed. Had Line-X sprayed into the bed and over the rail yesterday. I am very happy with the end product! I expect that will keep it from rusting and save my son from having to restore it when he inherits it!

Next, I am working on restoring the original side racks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>