Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Instruments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walcks sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walcks sending unit
    Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 1:13pm
I've been using Walck's brass float unit for better part of a year. It's been great.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 12:47pm
This post was perfect timing for me as I was just on Walcks's site looking at their CJ2a fuel sending unit.  I noticed it was brass and not the usual plastic I have seen in the past at various suppliers.  Pretty much sold me.  Thanks.  On a side note, I've been out of action for a while now due to health and life happening.  I'm starting to get back in the groove.  Thanks to all for their encouragement.  
1947 CJ2a #155307
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 12:44pm
Warning, never use silicone sealant on any gas application. Fuel resistant? If it squeezes a ring inwards, it falls off into the tank and you will find it plugging your fuel line sooner or later. In gas, it expands to almost a pencil size. If you remove it and let it dry, it's 1/4 that size when dry. Ask me how I know this?????Shocked. Glad I had my tools with me way back in the woods when fuel delivery stopped. 

I use permatex # 2 sealant now. Amen. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:20pm
Old thread but I thought I add my thumbs up for Walck's brass float sending unit.  I installed one over the winter (along with a ground wire) and it works great.  Well worth the few extra dollars.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2013 at 2:47pm
 Pete Debella will be offering a reproduction sending unit with the rectangle top as original with cork in June to mid July of 2013 http://www.debellajeepparts.com
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2013 at 2:44pm
$4.95 at macsautoparts.com
BOULDER 48 2A
binsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2013 at 12:44am
Thanks for posting that Ford part number. Took some scouring--some places are selling the part for over $30--but I found it online for $8 online today and purchased one. Pretty stoked to have a working gas gauge.
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 4:45pm
my plastic leaked too. got a cork from the local hardware that fit in there.
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by M_Yehling M_Yehling wrote:

Just a quick questions while we are on this subject, do you use any kind of sealer on the gasket between the unit and the tank?

Mine leaks when I really fill to top, just something I have to get to.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 12:48pm
I did. Used a fuel resistant RTV (can't remember what brand) as an 'extra' assurance. No seepage, no fumes.
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
M_Yehling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_Yehling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 2:41am
Just a quick questions while we are on this subject, do you use any kind of sealer on the gasket between the unit and the tank?
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 1:05pm
Great info. I don't know how many times I've rechecked my wiring to finally give up. I carry a stick also. Big smile
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
mix4coal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mix4coal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 12:11pm
Carl is only charging $8 more for his gauge over other suppliers with the plastic float so he is very reasonable. Thanks for the info Larry. 
'47 CJ2A # 104985
Bantam Trailer
1953 Dodge M37
1948 1 1/2-2 1/2HP IHC LB
1929 1 1/2 HP SATTLEY HIT MISS

Carpe Diem!!
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 3:48am
For those with a replacement sending unit with a plastic float - As a lot of you know the repro gas gauge sending unit comes with a plastic float that almost always will develop pinholes and leak after a short period. Here's a tip. Before you put that gauge in the tank, go to your local Ford dealer and ask for part number COAZ/9202/B, Float Assembly. It'll cost you approx $8 plus tax and it's brass! It's a perfect fit. Put one on your gauge before you install it and you won't have to worry about suddenly finding your dash gauge always reading empty.

Larry
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 5:07pm
Damn,  I knew someone would ask me that!  No, I didn't think about it...I was just happy to get it and hurried to put it in.  But, it is identical to the one I replaced with the brass float being the exception.
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
mix4coal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mix4coal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 4:51pm
I am in need of a sending unit to replace my gauge made of a twig. Glad Carl is stepping up to improve on the poorly made chinese parts. Walcks come thru again. You dont have a picture do you?
'47 CJ2A # 104985
Bantam Trailer
1953 Dodge M37
1948 1 1/2-2 1/2HP IHC LB
1929 1 1/2 HP SATTLEY HIT MISS

Carpe Diem!!
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 3:22pm

Kudo's to Walck's...I ordered a new fuel sending unit the other day from them.  I replaced a standard reproduction one that never really worked because of internal failure, but it had been too long since ordered to make any claim for replacement.  Anyway, when I talked with them they told me they were charging a little more than the standard ones you can find online (38) as they have replaced the plastic float with a brass float.  It looked great when I got it...and more importantly...it works!  The one I pulled out (with plastic float) was half full of gas!  Hopefully it will live a longer life because of their desire to improve on present day standard issue stuff.   I appreciate that about their business.

She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
 Post Reply Post Reply