Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 Bantam Serial Number 5402 Surfaces

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 Bantam Serial Number 5402 Surfaces
    Posted: 25 July 2011 at 12:06am
Hi All,

Last Thursday, I drove from Arizona to New Mexico to pick up a 1946 Bantam Trailer (serial number 5402). Here is a link to the pictures I posted in my Jeep forum:

Here are a few of the things I've picked up from this forum.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The coupler is incorrect.
The wheels are incorrect.
The wiring is incorrect.

The neatest thing about this trailer is that it came with what appears to be factory production side rails (and by factory, I mean "some" factory... not necessarily the Bantam factory). The owner who sold it to me purchased it in roughly 1975 from the original owner and it came with these side rails. There are some interesting finishing touches to these rails that appear to me to be factory production and not an individuals work:  The leading edges of the rails are rounded while the trailing edges are not.  The original paint on the rails looks to be yellow which was then painted over by green.  The hardware is "production quality" and clearly old.  I'm sure the experts here will know much better than I will whether or not these side rails are correct for a 1946 and whether or not they are homebuilt.  I took a ton of pictures that should help.

The original color of this trailer was red.

Well... check out the link when you can.  I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts on this trailer.  The majority of the pictures are near the end of the thread that I posted a link to.  Scroll down to see the pictures.

Joe

Edited by arizonajeep - 25 July 2011 at 12:09am
arizonajeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 12:07am
Oh... and the taillight is incorrect :)
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 12:32am
Nice trailer, I'm not so sure the wheels aren't original, the very early ones had combat wheels,  some had solids, and others had slots, but exactly when that happened is debatable (probably because those are the easiest parts to switch around LOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 2:04am
I'd agree with Gale on the wheels, assuming they are 16 inchers they look like standard 2A rims. What size and make are the tires? Hitch is definitely a newer replacement altho nicely done, reflectors and light are not right, as you suspected.  I would say it is a very nice owner built set of side rails there, I don't think those are Bantam. What were the brackets halfway up on the inside used for?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 3:10am
The wheels are 16". I don't know what the brackets are, they were added by the guy I bought the trailer from.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 3:15am
I just went and looked at the tires. They are Goodyear Suburbanite 6.00 x 16   Thanks for everyone's help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 10:51pm
I made a webpage for the pictures at Joe's Bantam

Edited by arizonajeep - 25 July 2011 at 10:54pm
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by arizonajeep arizonajeep wrote:

I just went and looked at the tires. They are Goodyear Suburbanite 6.00 x 16   Thanks for everyone's help!

Those might even be original tires.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 12:29am
They certainly look in bad enough shape to be :)  I ordered a new set from Coker tire and I found an NOS pair of Arrow lamps to install on it.  The lamps were $60 for the pair plus shipping.

Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

Those might even be original tires.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 1:34am
Does anyone know if the Bantam database is being maintained?  I sent the owner some information on my trailer, but I didn't receive a response.
Joe's Bantam:
http://www.joewest.org/Trailer
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 1:58am
If you're referring to the T3C site, it might be that Art is out on maneuvers (still active duty). He's pretty good about keeping the site updated when time allows.  If you're referring to the Bantam discussion group (yahoo) I've never gotten a response after joining a couple of years ago so I've given up.

Edited by bkreutz - 26 July 2011 at 2:02am
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 3:28am
Thanks Gale.  That is exactly what I was wondering.  I was a bit worried that perhaps it was no longer being maintained or that I had an incorrect email address.  I've noticed Art's posts on this forum but was unaware that he was in the military.  Like you, I've had bad experiences with yahoo groups.  I believe their death is being precipitated by forums just like this one.

I'll wait for Art to contact me... thanks so much for the reply.

Joe

Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

If you're referring to the T3C site, it might be that Art is out on maneuvers (still active duty). He's pretty good about keeping the site updated when time allows.  If you're referring to the Bantam discussion group (yahoo) I've never gotten a response after joining a couple of years ago so I've given up.
Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 3:19am
Hi Gang,

I received my new tires from Coker today and had them installed on the trailer.  Underneath a newer red paint job I found the original red color (my trailer was originally red).  I'm still not sure if these were the original wheels, but I'm becoming more convinced that they are. I've never seen the circle painted black trim around the center, but both of my wheels have it and it is definitely painted on.  I wonder if Bantam ever painted black trim circles on their wheels.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 3:29am
And now that I've figured out how to upload pictures... here are a few more:

Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2011 at 1:16pm
Hi Gang,

Well... other than replacing the tires, the first real repair work I've done was to weld the stress fractures that were located at the tailgate where the chains hooked.  Here's a couple of pictures of the damage:

After removing the paint:

After Welding

Welding up the license plat holes

A look at the tailgate after everything is done

That's all for now...

Joe's Bantam:
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2011 at 10:30pm
Those new tires look GREAT!   Just curious where you found a pair of NOS Arrow taillights for that price...

Your welding work is real nice too.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2011 at 12:56am
Thanks for the comments on the welding F Bill.  Almost any weld can look good after you take a grinder to it :)

As far as the NOS Arrow lights, I found them on eBay.  I should however have been more clear.  While they are NOS Arrow lights, they are from the 1950s and are NOT the proper ones.  They do however have the proper mounts and are the proper size they will look fine until I find the correct year Arrow lights.  I only have the left light assembly so I'll just use the left light in this set.  When I'm done with it, I'll box it up as used, combine it with the remaining NOS light, and sell these as a pair to someone who needs two lights.

Here's a picture of the lights I purchased:

Joe

Joe's Bantam:
Brezzypines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brezzypines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2011 at 4:12am
Joe very nice fine there. I just received my grandfathers 47 that he bought new. The last 40 plus years it has been in the garage of our cabin in Prescott. If you don't mind how much were the tires since I need to replace all of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>