Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 CJ2A # 26624

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2011 at 5:17pm
sweet find.

Why couldn't willys left the wheel well storage compartment in the civvy's? they would be so useful
DiverDownJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2011 at 7:09pm
Well the wheel well storage sure makes a great spot for hornets to hide, I have found nests in my glove box, both tool boxes, and under my dash.  God bless bug  bombs.

I am thinking that I will do an MB clone as a temporary finish, slight errors on it though, i.e. trying to maintain my CJ windshield, CJ hood (8 hours of sanding so far, worth more than a replacement hood to me right now)  but I'm gonna probably do MB Fenders and Grille, the flat OD green will just be easier for me to do than the Harvard Red.  After I'm done with medical school and have some spare money, I will probably spring for a 2A body tub, and transfer over the tool indents.  Then have it professionally painted and finish with the 2A resto.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by ovrlnd ovrlnd wrote:

sweet find.

Why couldn't willys left the wheel well storage compartment in the civvy's? they would be so useful

Personally, I like the wheel well storage and the glove box. Beats me why they ever changed it..... (????)

Confused
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

Originally posted by ovrlnd ovrlnd wrote:

sweet find.

Personally, I like the wheel well storage and the glove box. Beats me why they ever changed it..... (????)

Confused

Every little "feature" added to the cost of production, WO was aiming at a particular price point (even with all the deletions they still missed their original target)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2011 at 5:47pm
More than anything, I wish this MB tub had a tailgate.  Trying to determine if the added work of putting one on makes it still worth it.  There are some rough patches on the rear end, but fixable.  I'll update when the decision is made. 

I was also wondering if anyone else developed tiny cracks on their hood, where the hood hooks connect, specifically where the factory changed the fold from a 90 to a 180 degree lip.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2011 at 3:31am
Sorry about the huge lag in pictures, Busy week at work, had to work 48 straight for the ambulance.  Oh well, got home today and here's what I did.

First got busy sanding the underside of the hood.

Progress was going slowly, so I finished it up with a flapper wheel, boy those are nice! Thumbs Up

After doing this, I took a body hammer and dolly to the hood, got all the dings out as good as I could, and then used some high-fill primer, after finding the low spots, I carefully sanded down the areas to bare metal, and used a chemically suspended metal bondo, seems to work just like lead used to do for it, I've actually melted down old sinkers for the same effect, but I don't have enough sinkers for this job.

Sanding still needs to be done, but I am waiting for my Girlfriend tomorrow, she loves doing meticulous work, and I can't think of anything  more meticulous than sanding bondo!

Here is the fender damage that I discussed earlier, does anyone have an opinion as to whether it can be salvaged or not?

heres another shot

and here is the brilliant fender mount that the previous owner put in.

Does anyone know if this is the factory correct parking brake handle?  It is designed to have the sleeve type cable in it.

New wheel is here!

Here is the inside of the steering box, now that my new parts are here... I wondered why it was getting so difficult to steer.  Here seems to be the issue.

more gunk

The seal around the steering column seems to have been the issue.  Also, the P.O. had it dry in there, I put gear oil in a few days ago, of course came out nice and black.

Pinched in and got out this much.

That is some nasty gunk, well I guess disassembly and thorough cleaning is an order, I guess I can clean up the outside while I'm at it and give it a nice coat of black.  Did others use POR 15 black, or what did you use?
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2011 at 11:28am
  First I will say it's your jeep and you can do what you want to it, BUT, please give a lot of thought before trying to put a tailgate in the tub.  It looks like you have a good military tub that could fetch decent $ from an MB lover. 
  Your comment of using sinkers for lead filler - would wheel weights work also? 
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2011 at 12:18pm
You could try to find an mb frame and build an mb instead of a cj2a
1952 m38

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2011 at 1:34pm
Mullen, Wheel weights would probably also work, assuming they really are lead.  On thicker body metal (like old cars, brazing brass can be used to fill deeper holes, then any bondo that is used would just be a skim coat, and less likely to crack.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2011 at 5:18pm
Update - Hood's Ready for Paint!

Well we have the hood all primed up and ready for paint, Here are a few of the pics of it.  The paint work is going to need to wait until spring, but here it is now. 

My girlfriend Kristin and I working on getting the sanding done.

Happy to be almost done!

Steering box is all cleaned up, and I hand painted the numbers onto it, so that it has a little added detail.  Sorry that it's a little blurry.

Close up on the numbers for added detail.

Hood with primer on it!

Turned out great, it's actually shiny too!  Too bad I need to wait until spring for color!

Close up on the stamping, that's a hair sitting on it,  not a run (between the L and the Y)

A few more coats of primer are still needed, and I need a couple more sandings, but over all it looks fantastic, It's perfect within about an inch or two good light.  That's plenty good enough for me.  I still need to finish up with 1500 and 2000 grit wet sandings, after that I'll be happy.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2011 at 8:50pm
James,
Really nice work! Thumbs Up
It's coming along great! Cool
Stay after it! Clap
Fantastic job! Hug
I don't know how you do it! Handshake
Unbelievable! Star=u

((any more pics of Kristin? Evil Smile Tongue))

sorry, that last one just slipped out...

LOL

Edited by kilroy - 22 Aug. 2011 at 8:54pm
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2011 at 3:44am
They are both "keepers"!
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
918jeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 918jeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2011 at 4:31am
Looking great!  The parking brake lever looks correct to me for an MB.  I also wouldn't mess with the rear by putting a tailgate in. If I were you I would keep what you have and go for the MB clone look.  Flat OD paint is very forgiving and  you wont have to be perfect with the body work plus it would be a nice tribute to your grandfather especially with his unit's markings on it.  I had a 56 CJ5 that I did some minor bodywork on and rattle canned it flat desert tan and it looked great.  It allowed me to enjoy it while fixing it up a little at a time.  When I would do bodywork on another part of the body it was very easy and cheap to blend it in with the same rattle can paint.  Here's a couple of pics to show what I did with rattle can paint from Home Depot.  I always got a lot of compliments on this jeep.

The fender looks very fixable to me.  Just cut out the rusted area and weld in new sheetmetal.  Very easy stuff if you have a welder.  My mind set throughout my MB restoration was that I would attempt to fix the part before paying big bucks for a reproduction part.  Nine times out of ten I was able to fix it.

The spring packs are definitely not MB.  They look like the same ones that were on my 56 CJ5.

As far as the windshield frame goes, you can search for one that somebody is selling and cannibalize good sections to repair the bad area of your frame.  I just happen to have a CJ2A outer frame that I could sell you real cheap! You would have to pay shipping though.  Let me know if you want it.

From looking at the tranny hump it appears to have a T-90 tranny with the typical Dana 18 transfer case.

Curious as to what MB# is on the tag?  I can't make it out in the photo.  Mine is MB 433154 DOD 4-07-45.

Keep up the good work!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2011 at 4:43am
Jeeper, the MB tag was near the end of the war (5-2-45) and is serial number 458536  The CJ5 is a nice looking one, how many coats of paint did you have to use?  Thanks to all about the compliments on my girlfriend, she's nice and embarrassed by it.  Keep up the good work on that.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
918jeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 918jeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2011 at 4:55am
Originally posted by DiverDownJames DiverDownJames wrote:

Jeeper, the MB tag was near the end of the war (5-2-45) and is serial number 458536  The CJ5 is a nice looking one, how many coats of paint did you have to use?  Thanks to all about the compliments on my girlfriend, she's nice and embarrassed by it.  Keep up the good work on that.

I think I put a couple coats on it.  With the flat paint no one could tell it was rattle canned.  Thanks for the tag info.  Could you PM me a clear photo of it.  I want to send the info to a guy who keeps track of all the WWII jeep serial numbers and DOD dates. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2011 at 7:08pm
Well I have been busy doing other projects,

Brakes and a full tie rod set on my 2008 Focus (only 38,000 miles.  Dirt road is rough on that little car)

Power Steering Pump and rear brakes and all 4 new shocks on my dad's F-350, unbelievably difficult to get to to work on.

On my girlfriends Grand Am, New Speed sensors on both front wheels, new brakes on the front, New power steering pump, new spark plugs... etc etc etc. it works now.

On the bright side, lots of new parts coming my way, so as soon as I get a day off I will have more project work and pictures for everyone on here.  Sorry about the major lag!Embarrassed
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
sugarboogger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugarboogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2011 at 6:07am
Hi DDj,
Nice JobSmile Way to go on on your great deal! Cool jeep, good dog and nice girl friend!
Maybe not in that order?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2011 at 5:27pm
Alright, well 5 more weeks until I can start working again, but I am getting the following parts.  A NOS, WWII era Glove Box Button and latch assembly, to fit my tub because it is an MB.

New Floor pans for drivers and passengers side, also new hat channels.  A new, proper distributor, no more V8, that is factory style externally, but has an integrated electronic ignition instead of points.  I know it's not original, but it will be replacing one with an external electronic ignition, so it is closer.  A frame that appears to be completely unmodified, with very little damage, battery box, and a rim from Damar2yxr which is a huge help.  Then the big work will begin!  I may end up with some good extra parts for sale/trade so I'll keep everyone posted on that! Unfortunately, Kristin won't be in many of the photos because she's heading to where the tub went in 1945! She is going to study in France for a semester and will be in the Brittany region!  She promised to get some Normandy pictures for me to share with you all.  Finally, I picked up a 1970's Jerry Can, which I am going to make into a tool box mounted on the jeep!  She's gonna end up being an MB-2A, so a mix of the two, color undecided, but I'm leaning away from OD, something nice and bright perhaps?  I promise lots of pictures to come, and I apologize for the delay!

Final note, the reason I have to weight 5 weeks instead of 2 is that I hit a deer with my car, and need to fix it first!  Hope you all can forgive my priorities!Embarrassed
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>