Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb adjustment info?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb adjustment info?
    Posted: 12 Aug. 2011 at 11:41pm
On my new plugs, they look pretty carbon fouled after less than an hour of use. They look like this:

So I thought, there's got to be a mixture adjustment screw or two.... oh crap, what are all these screws for LOL.... Any input as to each of their functions would be appreciated:

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2011 at 11:49pm

the ONLY one you need to be concerned with is #5......the rest are just jet retaining screws except for #4, which is a vacuum port........

#5 is your air mixture set screw.......carefully run it in (clockwise) until the need seats, again, carefully so not to destroy the pointed tip, then back it out (counterclockwise) 1 1/2 turns....this is Carter's starting point for running the vehicle...

engine should start and run, and after it warms up, you adjust this screw in or out to achieve a smooth running condition....

idle RPM should be set at 600-900......i like about 700 rpm's...

Edited by lowenuf - 12 Aug. 2011 at 11:50pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 12:16am
Mine's hanging out about 900 RPM, there's a set screw on the rear right of the throttle linkage that looks like it should adjust the idle, but it is already backed out not seating on anything so it can only make it idle faster at this point.

Thanks for the information, Ill try adjusting 5 to see whats up with it, thanks!

G
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 12:24am
Ditto what Low said, if your plugs look like that after driving, the idle mixture isn't going to do much to correct that. I can think of a few causes for that but before you start changing a bunch of stuff reading about your carb might be more helpful so when you dive into the carb you'll have a better understanding of how everything relates.  http://mightymo.org/Proj_carter_wo_101.htm

Edited by bkreutz - 13 Aug. 2011 at 12:27am
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 12:48am
The #5 screw had no effect on idle. always about 900. thanks for the link to that site!
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 1:11am
if turning #5 made no rpm difference, hence rough idle Vs. smooth idle, you might have a slight vaccum leak somewhere....

or a faulty low speed jet...
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 1:57am
Hi,
I can't really tell from your photo,  but the air cleaner must be clean as well to provide proper fuel/air mix. That paper element looks a little dirty? Do not bother with blowing out a paper element, it just compromises its capacity to properly catch the dirt before entering into the engine.
As you are finding, there are many things that can contribute to your carb not delivering fuel properly.
I was also curious about the location of the jeep, at what elevation? Higher elevation means thinner air...usually creating a richer mixture and a dirtier burn as a result.
I do not recall of smaller jet sizes being available for these carbs...they can compenate for higher elevations.

Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
DiverDownJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 2:54am
Your throttle is also not connected to your choke, could be that because the choke isn't opening more when you give it gas, it is burning too rich at those times?
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 3:09am
Originally posted by DiverDownJames DiverDownJames wrote:

Your throttle is also not connected to your choke, could be that because the choke isn't opening more when you give it gas, it is burning too rich at those times?

I tried to move the choke, it's stuck, so the cable's probably stuck. Is it supposed to move when the throttle moves? If so the linkage between the two is gone. Im seeing lots of missing things on the carb...
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Howard Howard wrote:

Hi,
I can't really tell from your photo,  but the air cleaner must be clean as well to provide proper fuel/air mix. That paper element looks a little dirty? Do not bother with blowing out a paper element, it just compromises its capacity to properly catch the dirt before entering into the engine.
As you are finding, there are many things that can contribute to your carb not delivering fuel properly.
I was also curious about the location of the jeep, at what elevation? Higher elevation means thinner air...usually creating a richer mixture and a dirtier burn as a result.
I do not recall of smaller jet sizes being available for these carbs...they can compenate for higher elevations.

4400 feet  above sea level.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 3:28am
That carb is completely screwed up. The linkage at the choke is assembled wrong and isn't connected to the throttle linkage. You're running with the choke on that's why it's running rich. That carb needs a complete rebuild with the correct missing parts added back on.

Larry
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 5:41am
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

That carb is completely screwed up. The linkage at the choke is assembled wrong and isn't connected to the throttle linkage. You're running with the choke on that's why it's running rich. That carb needs a complete rebuild with the correct missing parts added back on.
Larry

That's sort of what I figured when I started looking at everyone else's carb pics. Everyone has way more stuff LOL. I will disconnect the choke cable for now, and add it to my growing list of things to order along with a carb rebuild kit. If it;s not connected, will the choke return to not-choked position? I have a can of springs I can use to hold it in a particular position if someone can let me know where to hold it so it's not 'choking' rich all the time. I will keep my eyes out for a complete rebuild-able carb with all the parts in the meantime. Thanks so much for the help.

G
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 7:07am
You can tell by looking down the throat of the carb, the flap should be open in the unchoked position. You will need the choke (flap closed, or partially closed) to get it started (at least mine doesn't start without choke) and then open it up when it warms up. What the choke does is restrict the air flow resulting in a richer fuel/air mixture which is needed when the engine isn't at operating temperature. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 12:04pm
Gale's right on, just disconnecting the choke isn't going to solve everything as you need the choke to be working to start a cold engine and to be able to drive until the engine warms up.

Larry
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2011 at 6:45pm
The flap was 3/4 open and unmoveable so I disconnected the cable which is seized in it's sleeve and spring'd it wide open. Had to push it partially closed to start of course, and then let it stay wide open. No apparent difference in sound, performance or affecting the cutout.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2011 at 8:45pm
If you buy a complete rebuild kit for your carb be sure to read the Willys shop manual and some on line manuals about rebuilding and adjusting the metering rod. That adjustment is very important to get right so the engine has the right air/fuel mixture. 

Another thing is to start with a spark plug in the middle of the heat range. A hot or cold plug will also affect the plug color. 

Also, if your throttle shaft is loose in the carb body you will have trouble getting the engine to idle at the correct rpm.

Since yours is idling at 900 rpm I suspect it's sucking air there and if you tried to slow it down it may not want to idle correctly. A good indication of not being able to idle an engine down smoothly is sucking air at the throttle shaft or a vacuum leak at a gasket.

Idling the engine down requires dropping the idle then adjusting the air mixture screw #5, dropping the idle and adjusting the air screw until it's at the rpm you want but don't try to set it to low. You adjust the air mixture screw using a vacuum gauge or by ear if you have some experience at doing it.

When I rebuilt my carb I had to bore the throttle shaft hole and make a new oversize throttle shaft. I also had to do the same to the choke shaft. I tried to find a new replacement shaft and could not find one. 

Setting the metering rod is one of the most important steps in the overhaul so read and understand exactly how to do it.

Edited by Carlsjeep - 14 Aug. 2011 at 8:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply