Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change date for accent paint on "Willys" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change date for accent paint on "Willys" ?
    Posted: 17 Aug. 2011 at 1:11am

Earlier, while researching the part color for a PTO plate cover today, I came across this statement in the Parts Paint Color List;  

"Willys raised lettering:  early-body color to 6/47, accent color from 6/47 on"

About a month ago, I was searching high and low for when W-O started to highlight/accent paint the embossed/raised lettering of "Willys" on their hoods/engine bonnets.  I am fairly sure that this has been discussed before here on the Forum.   I just cannot seem to find any threads now while searching for it.  

Would someone point me in the correct direction or link me to the threads?  

Currently, I think this change occurred earlier than June, 1947 so I am looking for some evidence to support this date. 

Thanks,  
Joel
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2011 at 1:16am
I know that when I was painting mine I determined that I was just inside the date for the highlight, mine is about Aug 47, so that summer 47 date sounds about right. There is a service bulletin somewhere that gives the specific date.
Edit: I think if one dug around in the "service bulletins "section in the research and history forum it could probably be found.

Edited by bkreutz - 17 Aug. 2011 at 1:18am
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2011 at 1:26am
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2011 at 6:04pm
The change occured about the third week of June 1947. I'll have to dig through old e-mails and see if I can find it. Todd Paisley has the engineering notes for the change with the exact date. He sent it to me a bout 10 years ago. I'll see if I can find it, but it was June of '47 for sure that much I remember.

Bill
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2011 at 6:10pm
Bill:

Brandons link goes direct to your earlier posting of the info, no need to go "find" it all over again. LOL

Edited by sean - 17 Aug. 2011 at 6:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2011 at 6:17pm
Sean,

Thanks for saving me the trouble! I didn't even see that. Must be my ADD acting up again. Hey look a squirrel!

Bill
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2011 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

Sean,

. Must be my ADD acting up again. Hey look a squirrel!

Bill

I like Cheese.

Hey look, another Squirrell!!LOL
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Holy Toledo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2011 at 6:05pm

Okay, so here is my dilemma regarding the change date to accent paint on the " WILLYS" hood stampings.  I now think the change date was earlier than what has come to be accepted as the Forum's norm; June, 1947.

Above and below are two Life magazine's photographs that recently appeared on this Forum. The photos struck my interest because of its unique opportunities for dating changes to a CJ-2a model.   Why is this photo a good case study?  Foremost, I first believed that the photos give great photographic clarity to the June, 1947 change date for accent paint on the hood logo.   
Now, I believe the second reason is much more important.  It portrays an early 1947 production model of a brand new, dealer demonstrator in use. Couple this set of circumstances with an annual college event that had been held since 1940.  Conclusion,  I think what the photographs portray is what was actually available new for sale by W-O  to the general public at a known time! The photos are not W-O marketing department advertisements.  The 2a has 1947 Ohio dealer license plates on it.

These are two of many photographs covering the Kent (State) University fraternity and sorority students' Row Boat Regatta on the Cayahoga River in Kent, Ohio. Within the Life/Google image written detail of these pictures, like all the other pictures taken for this assignment; they listed as being taken in "June, 1947."   I have not been able to confirm if any of these pictures ever made it into publication.  If someone finds this out it might be helpful for the timeline of events.

I think these pictures were taken earlier than June of 1947. I would guess April or May, 1947 at the latest.  Here are my reasons why. 

1.  The foliage on the trees and bushes is much too sparse for any late spring day in June on the Cayahoga River.   I draw upon my years of picking mushrooms and maple sugaring to make this call.

2.  Other than the sorority judges in their white sailor dresses, every older adult and young child are dressed for the weather.  No bugs and cooler temperatures.  Kent, Ohio's long term average high and low temperatures for the months of April, May, and June are: 60/40, 72/51, and 80/60 respectively.  April in Kent, Ohio has a lot of climatic energy for growth packed into it.  I checked the historical weather archives for Kent, Ohio. They did not have an unusually cold spring in 1947.

3.  Would the University's fraternities and sororities plan a campus activity of this magnitude during the month of June?  Colleges are normally winding down, while some are not even in session.  From mid-May on, the activities would have been final tests, papers, graduation, and packing up to go home.   I would think that mid-April through mid-May would be the more suitable time for the Row Boat Regatta.

4. I have a healthy skepticism of W-O organizational/manufacturing practices to rely on them only.

The plow mount on the front of the 2a raises questions with me.  Did the factory install these as an option or did the dealers install plow mounts once the vehicle arrives at their lots?   Does anyone have knowledge of W-O approved plow options?  Is the shown plow mount a part of a W-O plow option(s)? 

Have it guys, lets hear what you think about my conjectures on dating these photographs and a June,1947 date for accent paint.

Joel
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2011 at 7:11pm
There are definitely highlights on the raised Willys letters on the hood.  There are some non-factory things on that Jeep so the highlights could have been added too.  Willys obviously got the idea to highlight the letters from somewhere, possibly from things that owners and dealers did in the aftermarket.  

Given the marker lights, that 2A was built no later than mid March 1947, I'd say. 

I think your dating of the photo is reasonable.  Who knows about the accented letters, though -  factory or dealer, take your pcik.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2011 at 8:22pm
WOW!
Very "Holmes-esque"! Cool Clap
I especially liked the part about checking "historical weather records"!
This reads like a detective novel!
Thanks, Joel. Good post!
This is fun as pickin' apart a "For Sale" Jeep picture!
Wink

Edited by kilroy - 19 Aug. 2011 at 8:47pm
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2011 at 10:02pm
I seem to recall from the earlier discussions that someone had strong evidence to suggest that certain dealers were doing this before Willys.

Otherwise, it would have had to occur before mid-'46 LOL

still, anything is possible.

Sean
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2011 at 12:18am
Interesting.  I don't ever remember seeing a reason given for not highlighting windshield lettering.  I assume that the highlighting was applied after the Jeep was fully assembled, rendering it somewhat difficult to highlight the windshield lettering.  So, in the interest of saving time in the production process, the highlighting was not applied on the windshield.  However, if the highlighting was applied at a dealer, I would think that the dealer would go ahead and highlight the windshield lettering in addition to the tailgate and hood lettering.  After all, the dealer wasn't producing the Jeeps and a few more minutes of highlighting wouldn't have been a big deal.  Thoughts?

Brandon
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2011 at 7:09pm

Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

There are some non-factory things on that Jeep so the highlights could have been added too.

Sam, what do you see, other than the plow mounts that is non-factory?  I've looked at this photo too long and cannot see the forest from the trees now.

Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

I seem to recall from the earlier discussions that someone had strong evidence to suggest that certain dealers were doing this before Willys.

Sean,   The creative spirit of individuals and dealers to personalize their vehicles has always been a possibility with me.  I have the same inclinations that Brandon does.   Why stop at just painting the hood accents as Brandon writed?  Pin striping and Fire Jeeps comes to my mind.  Can you point me in the direction of this other documentation that discusses the starting of logo accent painting by dealers?  My curiosity is up. 

Thanks for including a good Life photo.  I had forgotten about its details, especially the column-shift, hood accents, and the round W/S review mirror.  This photo always struck me as odd, almost a black and white info-commercial on behalf of the Willy's export market in South Africa?  It is a well staged photograph.  Like the product placement of jeep and logo.  The juxtapositions of the subjects, like the camel and machine, the old and new, the colonialism and tribal government, and then the white and black race issues to boot.  Sometimes, while looking at this photo, I think I am looking at a product from a photo studio shoot of two soldiers in a jeep, placed in front a backdrop picturing two soldiers on camels?   I think the fore ground lighting adds to this effect but it is also perfect in clarity for the details you want to export.  This is why I like the realities of the Life Row Boat Regatta photo.  It only looks to be a light-hearted piece of photo-journalism about an actual event.  I could only find a vague published story on race relations in South Africa in a December, 1946 magazine.  Any other ideas as to why the Jeep/camel photo was taken?    

Originally posted by bgirmus bgirmus wrote:

Interesting. I don't ever remember seeing a reason given for not highlighting windshield lettering.  I assume that the highlighting was applied after the Jeep was fully assembled, rendering it somewhat difficult to highlight the windshield lettering.  So, in the interest of saving time in the production process, the highlighting was not applied on the windshield.  However, if the highlighting was applied at a dealer, I would think that the dealer would go ahead and highlight the windshield lettering in addition to the tailgate and hood lettering.  After all, the dealer wasn't producing the Jeeps and a few more minutes of highlighting wouldn't have been a big deal.  Thoughts? 

Brandon

I could not agree with you more Brandon.   I have just never see any period  photographs of this happening.  I would think the tailgate would be pin stripped as well.    

Joel
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2011 at 10:28pm
Well, in addition to the plow mount, there is that nicely hand lettered sign indicating that someone skilled at painting had their paint brush out!  LOLBig smile
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2011 at 3:15pm
Joel:
Quote ...  I have the same inclinations that Brandon does.   Why stop at just painting the hood accents ...? ...
Who knows?  There's just no accounting for "Willys think". Confused LOL

The majority of photographic evidence says it is the case.  But without documentary evidence explaining when/why/how, we'll never know for sure. 

Quote ... Can you point me in the direction of this other documentation that discusses the starting of logo accent painting by dealers? ...
Nope, sorry.  "Search" is thoroughly dysfunctional right now, so I can't find anything.  Just a 3 or 4 year old "recollection" (which may be bad).

My point is, the presence or absence of hilighting, by itself, isn't conclusive.

Our only documentary evidence is the snippet posted by Bill.  Until & unless more & better evidence shows up, all we can do is conjecture.

Having said that, I'm personally convinced that factory hilighting occured at about the same time as "standard" side-steps, which occured about that same June '47 time frame (s/n 129806).

In all the period photos we've found, the vast majority of vehicles w/side steps also have hood hilighting, the vast majority of vehicles w/out side steps don't have hilighting.

But that's still not 100%, since "standard" side steps are easy enough to remove after purchase, and "optonal" side steps could always be added to earlier vehicles.

Quote ... and the round W/S review mirror ...
That's just the outside mirror relocated.  A common "mod".

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2011 at 3:00am
Sean,  

Keep chumming the waters with small bits of information.....I'll bite every time.  I just had to check all my reference photos for accents paint and side-steps.  The closest I could come to June,1947 was a photo taken in 1948.  I'll keep that bit of reference in the back of my mind.  

Bill Norris mentioned "engineering notes" with regards to accent paint.  What and where are these "engineering notes?"
Joel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2011 at 4:24pm
Joel,

It is my understanding that engineering notes are actual internal factory documents as to when changes were to be put into production assembly lines.

Bill
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2011 at 5:04pm
This is a picture of my grandfather's 47 showing the highlights and a serial number of 103586.  I know this number falls somewhere shy of the middle of the numbers for 47.  Don't know if this information is at all useful.

1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"
1947 Bantam T3C Hiawatha "Moore"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>