Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zolatone as undercoat and bedliner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zolatone as undercoat and bedliner
    Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 9:19pm
For those of you that don't know, Zolatone is that spattery, speckled coating that was commonly used as trunk liner in automobiles at least up into the late 1960s.   In 50s and 60s Airstream trailers it was used to coat the interior aluminum skins of the trailers.

Today I saw an early 60s Ford Ranchero that had the bed "lined" with Zolatone, and a couple years ago I looked at a "1952 Cj2A" (was obviously an M38 w/ P/S tool indents) for sale that had both the tub interior and insides of the wheel wells coated with Zolatone.  I'm sure both of these applications were done as "after market" modifications.  I could only find one reference on the CJ2A Forum where Zolatone is mentioned only in passing [http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/my-first-project-cj2a-195879_topic18465_page1.html]

What I am wondering is whether anybody knows how effective Zolatone is generally in this type of application, i.e., as an exterior body coating to provide long-term protection against rust. Zolatone is still made, and though not cheap, it is really, really tough stuff, at least in the applications I've seen it used. I am especially hoping Fred Colwell might provide his insight into this issue, as Zolatone is a "big" thing in the older Airstream trailers, something that Fred knows just a little bit about in addition to Jeeps.

Edited by sibaropsis - 04 Sep. 2011 at 9:21pm
Steve
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 10:54pm
Is that the same stuff they use to coat truck beds with?
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
sibaropsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 11:07pm
Gunslinger--
Zolatone isn't the rubberized stuff that you see on lots of vehicles. It has a flat finish and is kind of spattered on, usually with a salt/pepper-like coloring. It is really difficult to remove (at least off aluminum), so it isn't something I would want to use unless I was really sure it was effective.  Hence my inquiry.
Steve
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 11:29pm
Steve

We used it on three of our Jeeps back in themid to  late '60s, and we really liked it.  As you might know, it comes in different colors so one can semi match it the exterior paint.  Back then, we had to use a special primer, white in color, and then the splatter coat. We used it on the inside, and what we discovered was it would hide small dings and bubba repair jobs simply by letting the splatter coat build up.  It is very very duriable.  Wears well and it looked great.  I plan on using it, once again, inside my '47 simply because I like how it looks and wears. OK and hides dings LOL

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Gunslinger Gunslinger wrote:

Is that the same stuff they use to coat truck beds with?

looks like speckle paint.  Remember jello with cottage cheese in it?LOL

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2011 at 2:18am
Trunk paint.....look in any late 50s-60s car trunk.

Probably a little tougher than average paint but not anywhere near bedliner. One advantage to it is it's fairly easy to keep touching up in a bedliner type application, but don't expect it to stay on like bedliner.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2011 at 4:00am
JeepsterJim, good to hear that you have had positive results with Zolatone. I saw in online Zolatone info that they have their own proprietary primer, but then read elsewhere where other high quality primers work too.  I suspect that one would get the best adhesion using the Zolatone brand primer.

Roc, I've never seen Zolatone actually peel or flake off, but these were all interior applications on Airstream aluminum. I've seen some of the rubberized bedliner applications peel off pretty quickly.  I've also seen some bedliner applications that look like they might be just all-black Zolatone.

I am wondering if there are any issues when used in more exposed situations, like lining a jeep tub, or the wheel wells. UV-resistance is something that would be a worry if used as a bedliner, though not so much as a wheel well-liner.  I'm thinking that Zolatone might be a durable alternative to traditional paint for high wear, rust-prone surfaces on a jeep that is being restified, not necessarily restored to blueprint specs. On the other hand, it costs $$$, lots more than traditional automotive paint, and is not easily removed once applied.

One man's "AHA" moment another man's "Bubbification"?

Steve
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2011 at 1:05pm
Zolatone scratches and gouges quite easily and once there is even the slightest opening for moisture the metal underneath will start to rust. What compounds the problem is that Zolatone will hold the moisture in and once started the rust will continue to creep under the coating. IMO, not a good idea.

These jeeps took 65 years to rust away with the original factory paint on them. Paint has come a long way since then and with just a little maintenance they will most certainly outlast our lifetimes, unless it's parked on a North Carolina beach every Winter in which case the bed might still be there but the rest of the jeep will be gone.  I think you're over-thinking it.

Larry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2011 at 3:20am
Another product I have used is Wurth SKS gaurd. . 

It don't catch fire like rhino bed liner, and the like, and it is latex based. Watched a video of several jeeps that used bedliner, like rhino liner, to undercoat the whole underside of their Jeeps and also coated the inside floor boards.  one Jeeps exhaust pipe got ripped off on a rock and the flames from the exhaust pipe caught the bedliner on fire.  I don't recall how the 2nd Jeep caught fire but both ended up toasted.

Jim 
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
bvermeere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvermeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2011 at 8:11pm
We routinely use Zolatone on the inside of boats that we build or repair.  With its splattered appearance it provides a sturdy surface that can hide a multitude of patches and welds.
Dutchman Enterprises

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by bvermeere bvermeere wrote:

We routinely use Zolatone on the inside of boats that we build or repair.  With its splattered appearance it provides a sturdy surface that can hide a multitude of patches and welds.

AMENLOLLOLLOL
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 1:25am
bvermeere and jeepsterjim: can you paint over Zolatone with regular automotive paint (with or without priming)?  Does the Zolatone provide decent protection from salt water corrosion when used on steel?

There is some chance that my wife and I might end up moving to Hawaii to be closer to my son and granddaughter. If at all possible, I want to take my 2A over there, but between the salty air and frequent rain, it isn't exactly the best environment for these old classics. Anything that would increase the rust resistance of the tub would be a big help.  No guarantee of an enclosed garage, probably just an open carport.
Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 2:23am
Good question, but I don't no.  You might try calling the company and ask them. 
Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 2:35am
Jim.  I'm a typical male and calling the company would be tantamount to stopping to ask directions.  Yeah I can do it, but as a last resort.  Seriously though, I think you're right, to get the answers I need I should go direct to the source.  Thanks for all your helpful input.

BTW, you said you *have* used Zolatone before on Jeeps.  Did you notice any of the problems mentioned by Rocketeer ("Zolatone scratches and gouges quite easily and once there is even the slightest opening for moisture the metal underneath will start to rust. What compounds the problem is that Zolatone will hold the moisture in and once started the rust will continue to creep under the coating.")?
Steve
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 2:43am
I would say the paint would need to be under the Zolotone instead of the other way around. I'll be surprised if they say paint over it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 3:02am
Originally posted by sibaropsis sibaropsis wrote:

Jim.  I'm a typical male and calling the company would be tantamount to stopping to ask directions.  Yeah I can do it, but as a last resort.  Seriously though, I think you're right, to get the answers I need I should go direct to the source.  Thanks for all your helpful input.

BTW, you said you *have* used Zolatone before on Jeeps.  Did you notice any of the problems mentioned by Rocketeer ("Zolatone scratches and gouges quite easily and once there is even the slightest opening for moisture the metal underneath will start to rust. What compounds the problem is that Zolatone will hold the moisture in and once started the rust will continue to creep under the coating.")?

We found it held up well regarding scratches. I grew up near you, Escondido, and our Jeeps were used in the groves--lug boxes, shovels, etc. They also were used out around the Salton Sea area playing rat patrol where sand would be ground into the floor boards by gear and our feet. Used to go dune running and stand up in the rear cargo area and hang onto the roll bar--not to smart LOL.  The Zolatone held up well. Yeah it can scratch but IMHO, not as bad as paint.  It is very durable(sp) stuff.

I do think the Wurth SKS guard is more durable though and you can paint over it.
Don't ya hate decisions ?

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by bvermeere bvermeere wrote:

Bill
Could you Zolatone a 14' Westcoaster, seats and all? I see you like fishing. Nothing like a Jeeping/fishing. trip.Smile  Geeeezz your right by berry you lucky guy.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
bvermeere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvermeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 11:27pm
A Zolatone treatment for the inside of the Westcoaster would be ideal, just be sure to use an old gun with a large orifice for the top coat and have the surface prep completed.  I always did this when we were welding or repairing drift boats and jet sleds.
Dutchman Enterprises
 Post Reply Post Reply