Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have no running lights,cant figure out why

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have no running lights,cant figure out why
    Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 1:28am
ShockedHelp! I can't figure it out first I had ony left brake light.Lights in front are fine, ran new wire where the three wires come out near the lights in rear two yellow wires and one red.I connected the red to the hot wires both lights then connected the yellow wires together and connected them to the black light wires I have front lights ,parking lights front and back but no running tail lights,I do have brake lights,Went back and added on of the ground wires to the hot it changed nothing.It seems like somewhere I must have my runninglights connected to the parking lights but where???????? help please
Thanks JC
JC Lively
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 1:39am
Did you check connections at the brake switch on master cylinder?

I lost parking lamps once and it ended up being the head light switch itself. Carefully unbent the tabs and took it apart, cleaned all the contacts inside and reassembled. Problem solved.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
JCL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 3:01am
It is a new switch, not like the old one but suppose to be the same. guess it could be there but wonder where science all the other lights are working? Im gonna try and check out the switch again tomorrow.I printed out a color coded wiring diagram.this is when it would pay to be small, it a tight squeeze under the dash. thanks for your help
JC Lively
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 4:34pm
Is this the switch?

Larry
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 4:40pm
Next time put legs on them so they can run!!!
Could not resist. 

A simple question is your key in the right position?
Ed
cj2a lefty
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2011 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by p3ferris p3ferris wrote:

Next time put legs on them so they can run!!!
Could not resist. 

A simple question is your key in the right position?

For lights?

Larry
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 6:26am
Mine has running light lit on the second position.
Ed
cj2a lefty
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by p3ferris p3ferris wrote:

Mine has running light lit on the second position.

You said "key" so I'm assuming ignition switch. No lights should be wired through the ignition switch.

Larry
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2011 at 12:59pm
My running/ parking lights are that way.  First turn is for starting second is running and running lights.  Headlights work either position and by pass the ign. switch if I have them on.  When headlights are off I can use the ign. sw. to turn the park lights on only.  That is the way it was  When I bought it.
Ed
cj2a lefty
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2011 at 3:38pm
Then it's wired wrong. No lights thru ign switch. You do know that if you leave your ign switch turned on and the points are closed the coil will overheat and can actually explode and start a fire?

Larry
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2011 at 1:31pm
Yes I do know that.  I think they did this because my jeep was used for starting and running equipment on a farm and it was 6v. lights.  BUT the jeep was a 6v./12v. with 2- 6v. batterys and 2- 6v.generators stacked.  With a battery switch they could convert the system to 12v. for starting other veh.  Complicated yet simple.  Enough hijacking this thread, sorry about that
Ed
cj2a lefty
 Post Reply Post Reply