Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 51>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Well, the cylinders, pistons, and valves look terrific.

Don't forget the paint job! LOL 
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Did your guy lose the tapered dowels for the flywheel too? I ‘ll be traveling through Astoria on Sunday morning. 

I'm not sure. I actually meant to look for them here at my place but have been side tracked by a million other things. Ouch

I'll be PM'ing you shortly...
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

I feel your pain.. I paid a local shop to work on my wagoneer this summer ,because I was so busy with work.and was so disappointed by the the time it was all over! Angry

Same thing, the guys super nice so it was almost harder because I let him keep stringing me along,and about half the stuff he did had to be redone.

Just remember in almost all cases (you ) have to be the expert. It's sad but all to often true.

I genuinely don't think this guy is trying to scam me or anything either, so yeah can't be mad about it.

Usually, unless it is absolutely necessary, I won't let anyone else work on our Jeeps.  For one I just hate paying labor to someone for something I can easily do myself. That and I am poor! LOL

I have never put together a lower block before. A little bit nervous that I would screw it up with the crank and pistons.

It will be 2 year this February since I got this motor. In that time I could have/should have just had it:

1 Checked for cracks and sizes.
2 Order everything I need.
3 Put it together.
4 Take it back apart because I messed something up or forgot to put it in.
5 Get it back together and running.
6 Put it in my Willys
7 Start it up, find whatever leak and redo the gasket
8 Have a running driving Jeep, until one of the axle bearing goes and it sits for months again. LOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Dennis if you need any help once you get it home. Let me know I can PM you my ph # having just assembled my engine last year (I think it was last year!) I can go over a bunch of the things to make sure of.

First thing would be condition of the rear seal surface and if it was ground the actual diameter of the journal (will have an effect on Rope or Neoprene seal)

Next I would worry about Crank Shaft end play. The factory manual explains it well but he had to have followed the instructions exactly.

Then would be making sure your timing gear squirter is .040" D

Obviously you already got the whole Flywheel Bolts and Pins covered.

Thank you Mark, I may take you up on that offer when I get the motor.

WHY WOULDN'T HE USE ALL THE NEW PARTS YOU PROVIDED?

Told me some of the new valve spring retainer locks did not fit. Some being roughly 8.

About 2 weeks ago he called and said he dropped a single lock.  We came up with him using a set of the ones that came off the motor. Didn't mention fitment issues.

Confused

I'm just going to get it back and do what I should have done in the first place.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 3:24am
I feel for you bro I really do!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 6:20pm
I looked around my tiny apartment and could not find the crankshaft bolts/studs. So either he lost them ( Or threw them away after he saw his mistake ), I never got them back from the other engine shop or I lost/ misplaced them.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 8:55pm
Thanks for stopping by Rob ( otto ) and visiting me and my Jeeps. Unfortunately it was/ is so cold and misting out.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Thanks for stopping by Rob ( otto ) and visiting me and my Jeeps. Unfortunately it was/ is so cold and misting out.

Nice to visit with you Dennis and check out your jeep. You’re definitely on your way to bringing it to the Spring Fling. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 9:33pm
I have been wanting to pick up my motor this week but it has snowed. Not a lot of snow but since where I live has a bunch of hills everything shut down. Things turned to ice quickly and I work at the college at the top of the hill in town.

Been an interesting few days. So since work was closed I went to the beach.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 12:57am
Sitting at its new home. Off the street.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 2:23am
Oh yah now that looks at home!
Much better than on the street Clap

Congrats man that’s awesome!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Oh yah now that looks at home!
Much better than on the street Clap

Congrats man that’s awesome!

Now to get a roof over its head and concrete under its wheels!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 4:26am
Hey Dennis what is the access like to where the jeep is sitting? If its at all restricted I might have a way to help you with the concrete idea.

I have a small cement mixer and a good wheel barrow and have done a number of slabs in my day with both. Its hard work not really fun but it is without a doubt the cheapest way to do it. If you plan a pad just big enough to put the jeep on and be able to work on it. Your looking at about 10' wide by say 16' Thats as big as my shop area I showed off with all the lights. If you out down say 4" of good 3/4-0 gravel and pack it in well you can easily get away with a 3.5" slab if you put some wire mesh in it (old woven wire fence is dirt cheap)

2) yards 3/4"- Gravel U-Haul $84.00 they haul $160
12) bags Portland Cement (Lowes price) $135.00
2) yards 3/4"- 0 Concrete aggregate est. same as the 3/4"-0 gravel I can't find a price on line in Astoria.
5 shts wire mesh (lowes price) $44.00
Roll of visqueen plastic $15.00
2x4's for forms and a few stakes $30.00

once you have the area stripped of sod you grade out the 3/4- and level and pack it. Throw up your forms and start mixing concrete. The whole thing would take a couple guys a nice day.

Add in a few 3/8-1/2 bolts along the edge and you have an anchor for a PVC arch temp roof. A nice big White Tarp and you have a temp shop.

So 10' x 16' x 3.5" = about 1.75 cu yards of concrete. so figure on materials for 2 yards thats' 12) bags of Portland cement at $11.25 a bag or $135.00 and 2 yards of 3/4"- 0 round rock. and some water.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 8:41pm

Hey Dennis what is the access like to where the jeep is sitting? If its at all restricted I might have a way to help you with the concrete idea.

I have a small cement mixer and a good wheel barrow and have done a number of slabs in my day with both. Its hard work not really fun but it is without a doubt the cheapest way to do it. If you plan a pad just big enough to put the jeep on and be able to work on it. Your looking at about 10' wide by say 16' Thats as big as my shop area I showed off with all the lights. If you out down say 4" of good 3/4-0 gravel and pack it in well you can easily get away with a 3.5" slab if you put some wire mesh in it (old woven wire fence is dirt cheap)

2) yards 3/4"- Gravel U-Haul $84.00 they haul $160
12) bags Portland Cement (Lowes price) $135.00
2) yards 3/4"- 0 Concrete aggregate est. same as the 3/4"-0 gravel I can't find a price on line in Astoria.
5 shts wire mesh (lowes price) $44.00
Roll of visqueen plastic $15.00
2x4's for forms and a few stakes $30.00

once you have the area stripped of sod you grade out the 3/4- and level and pack it. Throw up your forms and start mixing concrete. The whole thing would take a couple guys a nice day.

Add in a few 3/8-1/2 bolts along the edge and you have an anchor for a PVC arch temp roof. A nice big White Tarp and you have a temp shop.

So 10' x 16' x 3.5" = about 1.75 cu yards of concrete. so figure on materials for 2 yards thats' 12) bags of Portland cement at $11.25 a bag or $135.00 and 2 yards of 3/4"- 0 round rock. and some water.

Don't remember seeing this Probably one of those wake up in the middle of the night and check for new posts

Thanks for this list Mark, it will be helpful. Not going to happen for a while unfortunately.

Edited by berettajeep - 26 Apr. 2018 at 8:45pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 8:49pm
Now to add, the Willys has been parked in its new home for a little bit, waiting for me. Looking at it yesterday I noticed I now have lots of spiders taking up residence on and in my little Jeep.

Good in case it gets attacked by flies, bad because spiders are creepy.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 4:24am
Some spiders are more creepy than others.  It's scary to open up your coat closet and watch a black widow run up its web in between your coats.  The ones you can see are the females.  They've eaten all the males...  Shocked
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Some spiders are more creepy than others.  It's scary to open up your coat closet and watch a black widow run up its web in between your coats.  The ones you can see are the females.  They've eaten all the males...  Shocked

We get the brown recluse spiders around here instead of the black widows, at least that is what I am told. Don't think I've seen one but I have no reason too!
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2018 at 2:38am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

We get the brown recluse spiders around here instead of the black widows, at least that is what I am told. Don't think I've seen one but I have no reason too!

I've heard that in some parts of the country brown recluse spiders are the most common spiders around, but still almost no one gets bit because almost no one ever encounters them.  They're apparenty called "recluse" for a reason!

Still, it's stuff like that that makes me glad I live in Minnesota.  Around here the winter weather will kill you, but it kills off most of the other threats too, so it's a good trade!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 51>