Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 51>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Max Max wrote:

that top is a beauty, did you build it yourself or is it an old model?

Thank you. It was originally meant for a  flat fender with a CJ2A windshield but my 2A has a later model windshield. I disassembled it, as it was held together with screws and reassembled it to fit my windshield.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Max Max wrote:

that top is a beauty, did you build it yourself or is it an old model?

If you go back to page 4 of this build, almost 7 years ago, that is when I made the top fit my Jeep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 3:17pm
Yesterday I removed more items from the Jeep to start cleaning up. The only electrical on the Jeep is the starting and charging systems ( In case I need to move it)
Shocks, Tow bar brackets,  mirrors, hood blocks, rear hood hinges removed also. ( Small steps)

Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 6:00pm
I have a top that looks like yours (the windows in the doors are a giveaway). My top is a Kelly so I assume yours is also. Kelly was one of the best.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Beach Bum Beach Bum wrote:

I have a top that looks like yours (the windows in the doors are a giveaway). My top is a Kelly so I assume yours is also. Kelly was one of the best.

This is the second one of these I have had. There are no tags any where on it to let me know who manufactured it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2020 at 3:20pm
As time allows I have been taking apart a set of stock axles from a 2A I traded for a while back. I will attempt to rebuild them, before they are one year put under my Willys, so I am cleaning all pieces and parts to see what can be reused and what I need to get.
  I am super impressed how clean the inside of the front axle is, it must have been rebuilt at one time.
It does have a newer replacement front backing plate. ( Newer as in not the factory one. I won't be using it so I am not too concerned who made it)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2020 at 8:09pm
Dennis if you have an AUTOZONE up in your neighbor hood they loan/rent big Torque Wrenches which you will need to set the preload and tighten the Yokes, The manual is pretty good at covering this chore. I used a 12" long stick and a small fish scales to set the Steering King Bearing preload
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 5:22pm
Yesterday I removed some more things non essential for starting and moving the Jeep around. Still have a couple more items to remove but I was also working on my 74 Cherokee.
Now to get myself in gear and finish getting my replacement  motor, transmission, transfer case and both axles ready and installed.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 12:16am
Nothing new really. Drove it around the yard today. 

Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 1:55am
Pretty certain that you have a Kelly top. I have one.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 9:15pm
Yard wheeling....
I like itClap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 4:04pm
Even though my 2A just sits half disassembled, I do start it up and move it every once in a while.  For this to happen I have to use another vehicle to jump start it every time.  Put a volt meter to the battery and it was not charging. Actually it showed nothing at all. Confused

For fun I decided to replace the alternator.   My engine came with an alternator already installed and the ID tag was worn off so I did not know what it was exactly.  Asked a question on a group I belong to and got a few answers.  With that I was off to Napa in the morning.  
 Of course the first part number they did not have but the second one was a success. Had a double pulley that I did not think would be a problem but of course it was. ( I found this out later that evening and had to drive back to Napa to get the double swapped out for a single.) 

New alternator in, along with a new belt. I also added magic in a can ring sealer, since this engine smokes a little.   Hooked up the jumper cables from my XJ Cherokee to the Willys and let it charge for a little.  Multimeter showed the Cherokee was charging the Willys about 13.76.  Moments later I started the 2A and it fired right up.    

I removed the jumper cables and moved the Cherokee all the while smoke was quite excessively exiting the exhaust for a few minutes before it cleared.  I let it run a while then checked to see how much this new alternator was charging.  

Multimeter showed nothing. Confused  Went to Cherokee and checked and it shows that it is charging.  Grabbed the volt meter that I removed from the Willys a while ago and connected it to the battery. 14 volts. 

So I guess it is charging yet the multimeter shows nothing. 

I shut the Willys down and try to restart and all it does is click. So I did all that and it probably was not needed. Such is my life LOL

I should  bring the battery charger from work and charge it over night fully. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 5:21pm
Aww man, hate it when that happens Dead
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 9:10pm
I have found that a battery charger is one of those things that you wonder how you actually did anything before you got it. Even a cheep from Harnir Freight will make your life so much better.
Your milage may vary.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 9:29pm
or a Battery Tender maintainer. got one for both Jeeps. they each have the fused ring terminal harness that attaches to the battery and provides a quick-connect to the power source. clean, low cost way to ensure starting power.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 12:23am
Progress is happening!

Yesterday I took my spare axles to work. I disassembled them a year ago with the exception of the gears, covers and rear passenger brake drum. Drivers side I was able to remove.

I needed to remove that brake drum, drain the gear lube, take the covers off and clean the gears, wire wheel the housings them and paint them.  Luckily the auto tech instructor is a cool guy and let me borrow the hub removal tool.  Forgot lug nuts so tomorrow morning before work I will remove the drum with ease, well hopefully!

When I got home I found three lug nuts. I also went through all my axle parts and found that I have two of everything.  They will get cleaned up and I will use what looks best. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 12:31am
Motor, transmission and transfer case have all been rebuilt. They are waiting to be married together. Working on axles, as mentioned above.

Need to sell or move my '74 Cherokee so I can remove the tub on the '47 and work on level ground. Will strip the drive train down to and clean up the frame. Then start reassembling A.S.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 10:22pm
Sweet progress!!
Look forward to seeing it completed!Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer