Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 51>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 10:14pm
Time to update this thread.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 10:22pm
Since my 2A still runs I have been using it as a tractor. Been compacting the sand/dirt in this area that I've opened up and what better way to do that than with a flat fender!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 10:46pm
These will be in no particular order. I'm multi-tasking 😆

Driveshafts. 
Brought these with me when I drove from Ohio. At the time I only replaced the rear axle u-joint as the others were in good shape.
I've torn them completely apart and cleaned everything of seventy plus years of grease and dirt. Seals have hardened, cracked and worthless. 
Where does one go to get replacement seals?

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 11:36pm
I use my jeeps for landscaping purposes too!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 10:12am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 9:27am
Shaft seals ordered from Walcks. Thanks for the links.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 3:18pm

Just Slightly worn out.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 1:48am
Removed the rest of the brakes today except the master cylinder. Going to clean up all the hardware and reuse what I can. 
Recieved new parts so I should be able to finish the front axle and both driveshafts. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:04pm
After work, but before I left, I put the driveshafts back together. Cleaned 70 years of grease and dirt and added a new grease seal.  Also put the front axle shafts into the axle after adding new brass bushings.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 10:08am
For some reason, you fussing with your jeep makes me happy.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:15am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

For some reason, you fussing with your jeep makes me happy.

Me too Stan. LOL 

Today at work I pressed the studs out of my four spare hubs. Hydraulic press made it very easy.
 Also cleaned up the rear brake hardware. Most of it was replaced ten years ago and still looked new. 
 Found all my u-bolts for the u-joints and cleaned them up as well. Have an odd ball one that has a "P" stamped on the top.

Ordered rear axle grease seals and was notified the were shipped today. Hope to get them Friday but more then likely it will be next week.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:18am
Here are the u-bolts. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 1:15am
Today I removed the bronze spindle bushing and of course I ordered the wrong one.Embarrassed  Hope I can get them local but I won't hold my breath that I will.
 Cleaned my spare eleven inch backing plates. Eventually I will go disc conversion up front, as this Jeep is far from original, but I need to keep this build cheap and it is cheaper to reuse what I have ( unless worn out of course)

Then I removed more parts of the old engine. This is taking a lot of time as I am cleaning everything as it is removed and looking through my spare parts to see if I have a better one that will take its place when I put the Jeep back together.
 It started to lightly rain and was getting dark so I went in for dinner. Took off work tomorrow so I have a four day weekend and even though rain is in the forecast every day, I hope to get the Jeep completely disassembled.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:14pm
Started my day by putting a canopy up. Suppose to rain off and on the whole weekend. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:19pm
Almost completely apart. Still some things bolted to the tub that will be easier to remove when upside down. Need to find some help to remove the tub that is now just resting on the frame. When I put this together ten years ago I was in a garage and that made it easy to remove the tub by myself. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:30pm
Took the head off the engine to make lighter and also inspect the pistons. 

Piston #1. 

Piston 2

Piston 3

Piston 4

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:36pm
This is your Americar engine? It looks like 3 of 4 pistons have pieces missing. I think you stopped using this one just in time!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 12:45am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

This is your Americar engine? It looks like 3 of 4 pistons have pieces missing. I think you stopped using this one just in time!

This is the Americar motor. Should have stopped using it a long time ago LOL  I can't wait to get the pistons out and see what condition the rings are in or if they are even there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 51>