Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 51>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 12:09am
I finally found a small hole in my passenger front tire, which slowly ( I mean slowly) loses air over time.  Being a some what decent day, I walked to NAPA ( Maybe half a mile away) and got a tire plug kit. Hopefully that takes care of that.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 12:29am
Hopefully your parts showed up.
I have had a few times that the poop just seems to land on me and you just need to accept it and go on. Supposedly you are a stronger person after.
Right.
uncamonkey
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Hopefully your parts showed up.
I have had a few times that the poop just seems to land on me and you just need to accept it and go on. Supposedly you are a stronger person after.
Right.

Think I am comfortable with the poop, it happens way too much LOLAngry

Sigh.

Next pay check I will be getting my block back and hopefully find a local engine builder...

( Would love to find a sponsor so I can do the Alaska or rust drive)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 3:19pm
Oregon spring fling ??????
My Dad and I are attending ,Would be great to meet you.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 6:29am
Drove to Vancouver WA and picked up my engine block. Every time I called I was told they would get a price list together and call me back. Happened a few times. Called this morning and the same thing. Angry So I drove 2 hours to get everything.  Good thing he did not charge me anything. It was magnafluxed and looked good. Oh well.

Found a closer engine shop and already talked with the owner today. Monday morning I will drive over and hopefully work something out.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Oregon spring fling ??????
My Dad and I are attending ,Would be great to meet you.

Didn't see this until now Confused   Would be great to meet you too and everyone attending, putting a face to a name.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 1:05pm
I bristle reading about your shop problems... as I get back into these kinda things, I'm finding (at least around me) that dedicated automotive machine shops are or have kinda gone the way of the dinosaurs.  There a lot of "machine shops", but so many are CNC production work shops turning out all manner of things.

I have a flywheel I need cleaned up, and a head checked for cracks and possibly cut... more choices boiled down to two places, each 40-45 minutes away... and this is kind of an "interview" for the block work I have in my future.  My options only get further away-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 9:06pm
Just left the new machine shop. I learned more about the condition of the motor in 10 minutes speaking with Lasse ( He is from Finland) then the months and months at the other place. ( In their defense they do build lots of race motors)

Anyway, super impressed with Lasse, spent an hour with him. I do need a new camshaft. The first lobe is worn, all the others have nice sharp points. The crankshaft has standard main bearings, dated 9 67. Pistons are standard size.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 3:52am
Need to get list.

Main bearings std. size.
Camshaft bearing.
Rear camshaft expansion plug. (Think I have it)
Rod bearings std. size.
Camshaft. Gear driven.
Piston rings. std. size.
Cylinder head block studs and nuts.
Valve springs.

Valve guides?

Stuff for later...

Oil filter hoses.

Crankshaft pulley shield.

After work tonight or tomorrow spend hours on websites tracking stuff down.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 8:11am
Okay, ordered a NOS camshaft, all bearings, valve springs, head studs, etc.   Spent too much money today! LOLCryLOL
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 8:15am
Valves as well?
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Valves as well?

They are in very good shape but if my engine builder thinks I need them, I'll spend more money. Wink
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 9:34am
Just thinking back to when I rebuilt mine the engineer reconditioner advised me to throw it all out, something to do with side valves being a bit harder on valves than an OHV engine.

I put new everything in, valves, springs, hardened seats on the exhaust valves etc.

Kept the stock cam but had it reground, but did the bearing, roller chain mod etc.

Oh, yeah, a NOS crankshaft as well, mine was cracked real bad.

The bits I saved, the block(sleeved it back to stock bore), head, con rods, cam, flywheel...everything else was replaced as it was totally worn out, guessing a lot of South African dust must have gone into it long before it came to NZ.

Good luck, mines running great now and it was all worth the effort to save the original engine.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Good luck, mines running great now and it was all worth the effort to save the original engine.

Adrian

It is not really an original engine to my Jeep but a factory replacement block ( So it is original ) LOL

It was in some guys early CJ5 when he blew up the "F" head.  Not sure why he went to a "L" head motor but it worked out for me many years later!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 2:50pm
Dennis,

I dropped off my jeep's L head at the machine shop Monday for rebuilding, they should be calling soon to let me know how many monies it will take to make it all new again. Good luck with your rebuild, it sounds like its in good hands. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 8:11am
Got my NOS camshaft today

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 8:41am
Yay! Also received my Kaiser Willys order! Feels like my birthday with all these presents! LOL

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 8:49am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Dennis,

I dropped off my jeep's L head at the machine shop Monday for rebuilding, they should be calling soon to let me know how many monies it will take to make it all new again. Good luck with your rebuild, it sounds like its in good hands. 

Good luck with yours! It is always nice when progress moves forward, even if it is expensive. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 51>