Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Upgrade??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB1946 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Upgrade??
    Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 2:49am
Any suggestions for an upgrade on the original Carter WO carburetor? Possibly a two barrel with a dropped round air filter? Looking to get a little more oomph out of my baby.
Joshuatwatson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joshuatwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 3:00am
Stay away from the Solex.. that's my only .02!
www.RealDealRealty.com
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 3:17am
I put a 2 barrel Rochester carburetor on my first 2A a long, long time ago.  I had to make a new intake manifold to adapt the carburetor to the Willys.  It did run  stronger, but I'm not sure that it was worth the effort.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 7:05am
Adding a 2-barrel carb may not necessarily improve your performance - in fact, it can hurt it. There must be relationship between the volume of air drawn into the intake manifold every two revolutions (i.e. all cylinders during one functional cycle) and the size of the aperture (at the throttle plate) and size of the venturi for the carburetor to work efficiently. For example, if you put a large 2-barrel carb on a 134 cubic inch engine, and tromp on the gas pedal, the vacuum drops to zip, fuel cannot be drawn into and through the venturi, and the engine comes to a halt in a heartbeat. WOs are fickle to set up, but they are efficient and the barrel and venturi are sized properly for an L134. Joshua is right about the Solex - especially in cold environments. ...R

Edited by JeepRoger - 29 Dec. 2011 at 7:08am
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 10:01am
You can spend an obscene amount of money for a performance head, header, resonator, intake manifold, carburetor(s)  and yes, you could even turbocharge the little beast. You might even get lucky and manage to get your hands on some parts actually made for the 134. But it would still be a CJ. A lot of money for very little real performance and investment return.  Or, you could find yourself a small V6 and go hog-wild with drive-train upgrades, a lift kit, monster wheels and tires and, well, IMHO, you won't have a jeep anymore.

Edited by scoutpilot - 29 Dec. 2011 at 10:02am
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 12:56pm

If you need more oomph, you may be better off boreing the engine 30 thou or so.  Mine is 60 over and I believe I can feel the difference.  It won't go any faster, but it does feel stronger on the long pulls than it did before.  I stayed with the carter after trying a Solex, if the Carter is set up right it seems to do a good job.  There is a package that I've seen that includes a manifold and a two carb set up, its two Carters, smaller than the WO on a single manifold, complicated linkage, but reminiscent of the old 6pack configuration on the Cuda.  Try to PM Gopher 4x4, he can tell you about his.

Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 2:24pm
A fresh motor with excellent compression will have more snap than an old worn out one for sure.. Good ole WFB RIP   rebuilt his Mule motor last year I think it was, and when it was done it was like a hot rod compared to what it was like before.....

There was a head upgrade called the Willy Willy head IIRC that upped compression and may have had a few other mods, I would try a little compression boost before going for an unknown carb swap. It has been discussed before here, the Supersonic head is another more common head swap. Try advanced search for  milling head  or supersonic....I dunno if we ever got a conclusion as to how much you could get away with milling off a stock head ...

In general if I was to do the 2BBL I would look for one that has a similar or smaller primary throat and  more throttle bore area when in 2BBl mode, MAYBE a MustangII or Pinto Holley Weber...

Good luck, report back your results if you would, it will help others looking for more power too.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Gunslinger Gunslinger wrote:

Try to PM Gopher 4x4, he can tell you about his.

Last I heard Louie was experimenting with two genset carbs on a dual manifold.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 4:56pm
Well lets see, the Jeep will be reasonably safe at 50 mph sooooo just how fast do you want to get to 50 mph and what is it worth to you?????? If you want a Jeep that is faster to 0 to 60 just buy a newer Jeep and don't bugger up an antique Jeep. I have not had a problem with how fast my Jeep gets to my max of 50 mph and it's not like I am racing someone at a stop light. 

If your looking for more power on a hill your not going to get it out of the L134 without a lot of money thrown at it. I suggest you drop a Chevy 350 with say, dual four barrel carbs or fuel injection and see how long the drive train lasts with that.

Sell the Jeep and buy something with the power you want.
MattB1946 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB1946 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 5:53pm
Thanks for all the input guys! I was just curious about an upgrade. I still love my jeep, and there's no way I would sell it just for a little more power. I'll happily drive down the street going 43 mph then give up my Willys. I think I'll steer clear of any kind of upgrade. Might just rebuild the Carter or save up for a new one.
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2011 at 1:39am
about ten years ago I bought a rebuilt one from Peter Dibella - not sure he is still pushing parts but it hasn't given me a problem since I bought it

Jeff
Todd4077 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd4077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 1:42am
I recently discovered this and am looking to get one since my aftermarket 1 barrel has gone south. Some ethanol fuel no doubt.

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/product/5161/willys-jeep-fuel-carburetors-kits-parts-accessories

Mixture is turned just about all the way in and the fumes will still get to me. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 4:48am
  http://www.kaiserwillys.com/product/5161/willys-jeep-fuel-carburetors-kits-parts-accessories

Good luck with thatClap. $374.00Shocked, and you think you've got troubles, now?Confused Wait and see.LOL  Just my $.02.Wink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

Well lets see, the Jeep will be reasonably safe at 50 mph sooooo just how fast do you want to get to 50 mph and what is it worth to you?????? If you want a Jeep that is faster to 0 to 60 just buy a newer Jeep and don't bugger up an antique Jeep. I have not had a problem with how fast my Jeep gets to my max of 50 mph and it's not like I am racing someone at a stop light. 

If your looking for more power on a hill your not going to get it out of the L134 without a lot of money thrown at it. I suggest you drop a Chevy 350 with say, dual four barrel carbs or fuel injection and see how long the drive train lasts with that.

Sell the Jeep and buy something with the power you want.

My thoughts exactly, want a CJ thats goes like a TJ, buy a TJ...Ermm.

My NZ 0.2c worth,....

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 9:48am
They are both correct. 134ci, 62hp on a good day. I know you can move a mountain with a sewing machine, but that is more to do with the gearing than the motor. The Go Devil was not designed for much more than a rough dirt road. Highways didn't exist when it was designed in the 1920's.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 3:11pm
You'll know your responding to a 4 year old thread that got needlessly resurrected, right?
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 8:17pm
I responded to a guy who posted yesterday, with my opinion on what he was contemplating. The others responded with their opinion to the same poster. Yes, the old thread was "resurrected", how does that hurt you? I'd say it's good to bring up some of this old stuff, so the new guys can learn from it.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 8:18pm
I do nowEmbarrassed.....but its still all relevant.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>