Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11 inch brakes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Macgraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11 inch brakes.
    Posted: 20 Jan. 2012 at 4:10pm
Thanks Hugh, I have retired in Arizona after 42 years in BC. Grew up with a CJ3A in Colorado in the 50's, Bought a jeep last year that was supposed to be restored but wasn't at all. Have been working at it ever since. The 11" brakes seem to be a good idea to me but will wait till the wife gets over what the Jeep has cost me so far! Will be a good project for the future. Thanks for you're help, Mac
groundhawg
hugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2012 at 2:52pm
I got mine from R&p 4wd in Oregon. $650 for the front and rear 11". They come complete with blasted and painted backing plate with all new hardware and shoes installed plus the drums of course.
jeep - the toughest four letter word on wheels
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2012 at 4:31am
I have 11" drums front and rear, they stop great!   Tell they get wet. This can be remedied bu drilling them. (early cj5 site has info on it) I'm still running stock master cyl. Backing plates are the hard part to find (mid- late 70's CJ's as well as some Jeep pickups etc.  All the rest can be bought new. Things to watch for there are two types of drums large fined ones and smooth ones.  The larger fin ones will make it so your stock steal wheels wont fit, ( If you have after market wheels this isn't an issue) I think there are some clearance issues with the others as well but 16" wheels I think work.  You can get around this by using stock steel wheels off a mid to late 70's Jeep if you want the stock steel wheel look in a 15" .
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Macgraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 6:58pm
Thanks for the info, Mac
groundhawg
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 6:43pm
I bought Herms Front disc and rear drum brake conversion,Looks like something off a 40' motorhome, it all worked real well as far as installation, I did have to grind some off the calipers and the inside welds  of my new 16" steel wheels , I wouldn't buy the dual mast cyl from his kit ,I opted for a 82/83 dual manual mast cyl from a Ford Fairmont. Banjo bolts, and a proportioning valve from a Buddy of mines CJ7. All I can say is that it looks like it'll stop on a dime , but then I haven't tried them in the real world( This work thing is over rated) Sandusky
sibaropsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 6:21pm
This simple google search on domain=thecj2apage.com will point you in the right direction:
https://www.google.com/search?q=11+%22brake+conversion%22+site%3Awww.thecj2apage.com&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=off

Edited by sibaropsis - 04 Jan. 2012 at 6:25pm
Steve
Macgraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 5:08pm

Any info on 11 inch brake conversions? I hear they work real well.

groundhawg
 Post Reply Post Reply