Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bicycles= Other Vehicles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2020 at 9:18pm
Been (halfheartedly) looking for a tandem for me and the grandkids to play with...unbeknownst to them, a surprise 'experience' so to speak.

Got a line on somebody that supposedly had one, called the guy...."yes I have a tandem" and arranged a look-see the next day.

He opened the garage door and there was this monster and 3 other road bikes that had been given to him by an aging neighbor that evidently had had a roadbike passion. I'm not into road bikes at all but long story short....I bought this custom framed, custom components, hand built (high dollar in 80s money) AND the other 3 just because I had to to get this one.

It is definitely NOT what I was looking for but after selling 2 of the 4 bikes before I even got home and then feeling pretty good even though it has no real purpose with the g'kids or me either for that matter....(was looking for a single speed, coaster brake, step thru frame model when this one reared its ugly head).

I just couldn't let it sit there though so here it is, all 18 speeds of it....fully functional, didn't do anything but pump the tires up.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2020 at 6:08pm
Roc,

The multi-speeds will come in handy when you ride with the grandkids. We rented a tandem to ride around Mackinac Island years ago. Although my daughter was about 11, she was complete dead weight laughing at me huff and puff pulling her around.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2020 at 7:34pm
Oh I've already got a 'multi speed' bike....a Schwinn Mesa Runner if I need 'speeds'.

My point was I didn't need or want it with this...was just looking for a 'simple' tandem. Tandems aren't what I would call practical in any situation really....just wanted one for the kids to play with as a novelty more than anything. We are getting the two littlest ones bikes for Christmas anyway.

And because I know you will ask...I got Phyl on back Saturday and her complaint was "I can't see anything but your back, I have to see where we are going."

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2020 at 7:44pm
Plus, the way this one is set up....(for real tandem riders, no doubt)..the front rider controls the brakes and the rear rider controls the shifting (via bar end shifters).

So the way it was ridden Saturday was by picking a good compromise gear and cruising slowly around the neighborhood. Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 1:46am
🙄Chad The Ladies Always are in front! Best view for both.😉
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 3:03am
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

🙄Chad The Ladies Always are in front! Best view for both.😉

Won't work.....the builder of this thing was (evidently) WELL over 6'. If I am straddling the front bar on my tiptoes it is in a VERY bad position, an accident waiting to happen.

But I do agree with ya.....we'll just have to see if I can turn up a 'regular' version.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 9:00pm
Well, went and picked up another one. (not as much a novelty as the previous one or I guess, more accurately, closer to what I was looking for)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 2:22am
This is a custom I built out of my first bike.  It is a Huffy that I received as a child in the mid 1970’s.  It’s called the “Skinny Chopper”. 

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 12:57pm
 Cool thread! I like the Huffy. That had to be some work. I also dig the tandems, but I agree that you're first purchase must be a custom bike designed for someone very tall! I have 3 mountain bikes, an old Giant, an old GT, and a newish Orbea. My favorite bike though is my old school Schwinn Competition Scrambler. My Dad bought this for me when I was around 11 for Christmas and me and all my friends thought it was not cool. A few short months went by and BMX hit Michigan and I was the coolest kid in the 'hood. This was the first diamond frame bike sold by Schwinn. I spent all my money mod'ing it back in the day. I still have the original tuff wheels and many of the original parts. 

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 4:20pm
Cool bikes, Chad. I would like to find a Schwinn Mini Twin. Here is me on my first new bike, a Sears Spyder. I would love to find one like it, been looking for nearly 30 years now. Wouldnt mind having the Galaxy in the background either.

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Well, went and picked up another one. (not as much a novelty as the previous one or I guess, more accurately, closer to what I was looking for)

We had a Schwinn Twinn when our Kids were young. They and their friends rode it everywhere. It had so many miles on it I had to replace the derailure . I’d like to find another 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

I’d like to find another 

Well judging from what I've seen on eBay they are all up North, waaaaay up North...NY, NJ, Mass!

I found this one in KY and still had a 600mi roundtrip to pick it up! (kinda cuts into 'the good deal' but hey, its what I wanted)

Doug, that's a cool picture! And yes, a Mini-Twinn would be cool. Main problem they were a one year model ('68) the way I understand it, so that means hard to find and $$$ when you do.

Another cool thing about this one is once I got it home and ran the serial number on it I found out that it AND Phyl's Breeze were both built in July of '73...how cool is that!! I'm pleased with the purchase.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 7:13pm
Yes, Mini Twins are high dollar. I have only ever seen two in my travels. They were very rough and still very high dollar. 
 That picture of me was taken shortly after my first bike crash. My first ride on it, a neighbor's dog started chasing me. I panicked and tried to outrun him. While looking back, I hit a rut and went flying.

Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 9:48pm
Wow, surpised to see these posts. This Western Flyer is in good shape, everybody in the family wants to use it. It would be nice to find the original owner. 

Max
CJ2A 110861
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 10:19am
My latest acquisition $65 - an April 64 built Schwinn Twinn with 2spd yellow band Bendix rear hub and coaster brake. The handlebars need swapped, missing the front fender and it has an aftermarket oversea front rim. I since have procured two very nice S-7 Schwinn tires with tubes, a front fender, front hand brake and two sets of Schwinn blue sparkle grips. Still need to find an S-7 front rim and some blue saddles. Been watching my local area for parts bikes to source stuff from which I should have done before paying a premium for the above mentioned items.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 11:54am
Need a pic of you and Deb ridin'....Big smile

(also, OCD sez ya need to clock your pedals too)Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 5:33pm
Assuming that both the sprockets are the same size, it is correct for smooth power. When the front rider is supplying power the rear rider is at TDC & vise versa. I suspect that this arrangement is from the factory.

Yep, we need pictures of Deb & you riding it.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Assuming that both the sprockets are the same size, it is correct for smooth power. When the front rider is supplying power the rear rider is at TDC & vise versa. I suspect that this arrangement is from the factory.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but no problem.... its got a lot to do with getting your feet tangled up but you do you I guess.

I guess all the factory literature and pics are wrong too....( wow, if they had only known how inefficient they were)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>