Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F script hood hinge.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 918jeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 3:04am
Sometime in 1944 ACM who made the tubs for Willys started making them for Ford.  ACM combined the best features of Ford and Willys into what is called the Composite Body.  That is why late war Willys MB's like 45 MB will have Ford fenders, hood, hinge, and tub gussets, and the rest of the body is Willys.  I believe they continued making the same bodies for a period of time after the war for the CJ. 

Here's mine with remnants of the original OD paint on it before I repaired it.

1945 Willys MB S/N 433154

My Resto Thread

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=132906
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 3:29am
Im into the axe shovel thing with a passion. Bought a bunch of heads that need to be re- handled, and restored. Like I need a new hobby. Got to cut it out, no pun intended, and get back to the 2A restore.
ADD Boy I guess.....ConfusedLOL
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 4:29am
Scott,
Just send me an email to fladwig@msn.com and I'll put you on the IFFC list.  If you want to start a patrol in your area just give it a name such as "areaFFC".  You will be the big Kahuna even if your the only member!  It's a build it and they will come deal.  I think you will find folks will sign up when the understand the rules-
1. Must love old flat fender jeeps.  Don't have to own one.
2. There is only rule 1.
We don't have dues or bylaws, we keep things very simple.  Members can plan an event and post it.  If they want the entire IFFC to know, they can send me a note and I'll send an email blast out.
Hey, post a picture or two!
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 7:21am
My 1945 2A has the same stamped out "F" on the hinge.
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 1:34pm
My hood has the blank out waffle stamp on the hinge. But it was so rusted it's even hard to see that.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

The 'hashed out' F is a bit of a status symbol for early 2A's. Try to preserve it...

I was just turned on to the existence of this 'hashed out' Ford script "F" marking, which appears on early '46 (and '45) hood hinges, by JAB. Thanks, JAB.

Fascinating stuff!

So of course I had to check out my VEC, #18907. And it's there, along with the square holes for the "no longer used on civilian" capture nuts.

And after a little rubbing - there it was -

Edited by Vintage Don - 11 May 2021 at 8:22pm
Roadmap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:01pm
Thanks for posting this. Now I must go look at my rusty ol 45.
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:33pm
S/n 20xxx, yup, there’s the script “F”, cross hatched out, second from the right space between the bolts, and the square-ish holes on the hood support.  The stuff you learn here...

So I am guessing that Willys had a way to add the “WILLYS” raised letters on each side of the hood, even after the hood had been manufactured earlier on...

Edited by Dutch 1960 - 11 May 2021 at 8:35pm
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Dutch 1960 Dutch 1960 wrote:

So I am guessing that Willys had a way to add the “WILLYS” raised letters on each side of the hood, even after the hood had been manufactured earlier on...

They did. Read the rest of this old string above, and the older ones that are links inside of it. Pretty fascinating stuff!

Edited by Vintage Don - 11 May 2021 at 8:39pm
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:51pm
So it looks like ACM may have adapted the stamping tools to turn out “WILLYS” marked hood panels, but continued to use the Ford stamped hinges/hat channel center sections.  As my s/n is about 10k into the run, it looks like ACM may not have bothered to take the script “F” out of the hinge manufacturing process, but instead chose to hatch out the “F” instead.  I can’t imagine ACM had over ten thousand hood hinges/center hat sections laying around after war production ended.
Fallguy173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:55pm
I love old threads like this. So much that isn't talked about anymore, brought up for newer guys like me. Does anyone know the last S/N that had this script? I just looked, and #41105 had it. It's kind of a bummer, because the hinge is broken and needs to be replaced. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12