Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hood/cowl gutter rail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hood/cowl gutter rail
    Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 9:35am
I have seen on ebay from time to time a gutter rail which claims to stop the water from running down the cowl and keeping everything beneath it dry [or, at least, less wet]  Was that a Willy's piece or an aftermarket idea.  Cant tell from the picture, which looks more or less like a replacement hinge.

Anyone have experience with this?  Is there a better way--I haven't checked but maybe simply putting some of that adhesive attached vinyl drip gutter they use on RV's would do the same trick and would not look too bad.  That lip, however, presents a room problem, but maybe since the hood is on top of the cowl [true?] there might be space enough to put something in there.Of course, my rig, and a lot of others, probably do not go out in the rain, but the gutter idea might be a good consideration for those who do not have this luxury.  It's just an idea.  I know that water dripping on the steering tube does wonders down at the lower end, judging from the looks of mine.
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 9:40am

The rain gutter is a Willys item installed I believe on very late CJ2A's, CJ3A's, and CJ3B's. It works well, stopping the water from pooling in the #4 spark plug well. It just bolts on with the hood bolts and isn't that hard of an item to find.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 9:41am
They never came on 2As.....started on the 3Bs I believe, if I'm not mistaken.  It was a Willys part. Not many people are repoping them (don't understand, it would be a very easy part...actually a fairly easy home project if you've got a way to break the metal)....but Walck's has them I think and Willys Overland used to carry them too if you like dealing with that bunch. .............Trader and I were typing at the same time, so his info may be correct, I just thought they were a 3B part.

Edited by rocnroll - 30 Sep. 2006 at 9:43am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 10:41am
They started on 2As at serial number 193800.

Bill
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 11:27am
Thanks Bill  Thumbs%20Up
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

They started on 2As at serial number 193800.

Bill

195769 has one :)...low

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Reply Post Reply