Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parts Jeep Trail Build
    Posted: 24 Mar. 2024 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Good to know, thanks!   I seem to be buying a lot of stuff from Summit lately for my new trail jeep

Me too. I like that you know what brands the parts are BEFORE you buy. They don't try to hide it.
 Shipping is reasonable & returns super easy.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2024 at 2:17pm
There are two flanges in the pipe and it’s a three piece system now so it will come apart easily- always trying to look out for my future self. The pieces need to be “corkscrewed” into place, but it’s all readily serviceable.

Still waiting on the wrap.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2024 at 8:32pm
Good to know, thanks!   I seem to be buying a lot of stuff from Summit lately for my new trail jeep
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2024 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Abend Abend wrote:

That looks great.  I've never done a custom exhaust but I've seen the process enough times to have an appreciation for the skill and patience that takes.
Thank you, it does take some patience- something I don't have in abundance. 

Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

Artwork! Beautiful!

-Barry
Thanks, it's hardly artwork- at least not in the eyes of this beholder. It just got things from point A to point B around some new stuff.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2024 at 7:38pm

Good job!   I'm going to need to do something like that.   Where'd you score the box of pipe?
Thanks, the pipe came from Summit, they sell all sorts of this stuff. Their house brand pipe is a good value and that's what I used from the box of bends. They also sell other brands of piping that is less expensive but it's really thin and not coated. Those are being sent back.

Surprised that so little was used.
48 CJ2A
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2024 at 5:30pm
Artwork! Beautiful!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Abend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2024 at 9:00am
That looks great.  I've never done a custom exhaust but I've seen the process enough times to have an appreciation for the skill and patience that takes.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2024 at 12:17am
Good job!   I'm going to need to do something like that.   Where'd you score the box of pipe?
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2024 at 11:26pm

This was tedious but went smoother than expected. I was able to reuse the downpipe by placing it in the center of the system. Only one u-bend piece and only a few segments of the donut were used so there are extras. 

It’s all tacked together so I’ll remove it and weld it up off the jeep. It’s pretty tight under there so exhaust wrap seems mandatory.

c
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2024 at 12:52am

Started on the exhaust by cutting some segments from the donut. After mocking some pieces up, it appears there may be an alternate path here. I was manipulating the downpipe in other places and it looks like it may work midway under the jeep around the PTO box and connect to the tailpipe. 

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2024 at 9:37pm

With the PTO shaft taking the space the exhaust pipe used to occupy, the spent gases are going to have to go somewhere. There is simply no room for both in the same space and the shaft has to be where it is to operate the winch. The exhaust needs to be re-routed.

My new exhaust system showed up today- “some assembly required”.

I don’t see any simple solutions here but I’m envisioning a possible route outside of the frame. If the exhaust pipe comes off the manifold at a fairly acute angle, it looks like it could be routed out the back of the left fender. It then could run outboard of the frame for a bit and then tuck back in under the frame at the rear spring’s front pivot; joining the existing exhaust system.

This might be a heat producer so I’m researching exhaust wrap.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2024 at 11:05pm

Got the winch back in after fixing all the threaded holes and this time the threads held and the bolts tightened . The whole system is installed and I got to try it out and throw a lever this evening. I must say, it was satisfying to watch the shaft spin around and power the drum- in granny gear things go around very sloooowly. It seemed to operate smoothly and quietly although I had earmuffs on- it was super loud with no exhaust. The next phase is to make it nice and quiet again.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2024 at 11:32pm

These jeeps never want us to feel too happy and satisfied
It does keep me humble sometimes!
48 CJ2A
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2024 at 11:26pm
you got that right, brother!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2024 at 10:30pm
These jeeps never want us to feel too happy and satisfied
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2024 at 10:03pm
I played machinist today, repairing the threaded holes in the aluminum castings on the winch. I thought I was finished with this project, but when I tightened the bolts the threads failed. Cry

The shaft is complete, painted and ready to install; I just had to disassemble everything one more time. I’m short one of the Heli Coil inserts so that’s holding up finalizing this project.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2024 at 7:57pm
While I was mocking up the shaft and bearing, it was discovered the long shaft was bent. Got some ⅞” round stock from the local metal supplier and cut a slightly longer version. This will get the u-joint up out of the way better and provide a little more clearance over the axle. Will probably need a 1” spacer for the bottom-out bumper on the driver’s side frame rail.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2024 at 10:42pm

The support bearing arrived and was just what was needed- the outside of the bearing race is convex and can move around inside the two halves that hold it. It’s going to go right where the original Ross steering box was attached to the frame. The bushing that came with the shaft may work, but I’m liking this better.

48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>