Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2013 at 3:06am
I managed to re-assemble the top and get it back on the tub by myself  without scratching or chipping the paint. I like the contrast in color and the increased brightness inside the cab.

Someday it may be Luzon red again, I think the white top will look good against that color too.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
LibbieandJesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LibbieandJesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 12:34am
The white paint does look good!  My windows in the sides slide open?  Were there two different types or options on these tops?  It looks like your side glass is fixed in rubber?

Jesse

Jesse Woltz,

Owner of J & J Jeeps and Off Road Racing.
Iowa's premier Jeep and 4x4 shop.

1948 CJ2A L134 # 188387
1973 AMC Jeep CJ5 304 V8 (Daily Driver, w/snow plow)
1979 AMC Jeep CJ5 304 V8
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 1:43am
Yes, the side glass is set in a gasket which is atypical. I have not seen any evidence of this being a genuine Koenig top, so anything goes I guess. The sliding window option would be a nice feature.
48 CJ2A
LibbieandJesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LibbieandJesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 2:24am
Your top in my opinion is without a doubt a Koenig. Someone cut out larger windows and set them in those gaskets.  My sliding windows measure 12"'x23"
Jesse Woltz,

Owner of J & J Jeeps and Off Road Racing.
Iowa's premier Jeep and 4x4 shop.

1948 CJ2A L134 # 188387
1973 AMC Jeep CJ5 304 V8 (Daily Driver, w/snow plow)
1979 AMC Jeep CJ5 304 V8
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2013 at 1:03am
I picked up a set of wheels (and tires) yesterday after placing a Craig's List WTB posting for jeep wheels. Four stock 6" CJ5 wheels with 30 x 9.5 x 15 tires plus one oddball with a Goodyear Suburbanite cost me $50! The wheels have 4" back spacing which is more than I wanted, but the tires are flush with the body- just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, this means the jeep's turning circle will suffer. 3" back spacing would have maintained the steering angle, but the tires stick way out- not what I wanted. I guess 8 point turns will be the norm.

The seller said the tires were "no good", I didn't care because I was just after the wheels. But two of them have like 80%+ tread and don't look bad at all from a distance. There is cracking between the tread blocks in the same location on all 4 tires. They are retreads so no big loss, they would probably work fine for off road use only. The Suburbanite is a tire I have seen many members of the page run. This one is a tube- type and is 8.55 x 15 with like new tread. I think the blue jeep just found a proper spare.

Now I've got to break down the tires and repaint wheels and mount up the baby swampers I got last summer. The retreads will most likely get set at the end of the driveway with a "free" sign on 'em. In this neck of the woods they will disappear quickly.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2013 at 3:47am
Blackie got some new shoes!

I'm stoked with how it looks and eager to see how the jeep performs now. I really like how the tires are tucked in, this should keep the mud off me.
48 CJ2A
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2013 at 3:56am
Looks good.  The top should keep the mud off of you.  Or...just don't go in the mud. Wink  But then why have a Jeep if you don't want to go in the mud.Big smile
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2013 at 4:05am
Originally posted by zooke581 zooke581 wrote:

Looks good.  The top should keep the mud off of you.  Or...just don't go in the mud. Wink  But then why have a Jeep if you don't want to go in the mud.Big smile

Oh, there will be mud! That's what the last 6-7 years were all about. LOL
48 CJ2A
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2013 at 9:17am
Time for another stump climbing test.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2013 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Tom in RI Tom in RI wrote:

Time for another stump climbing test.

Yes!, but the backyard stumps are no longer much of a challenge. I'm aiming a little higher for obstacles now.
48 CJ2A
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2013 at 6:03am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Plenty of mud in Oregon... year 'round.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2013 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Plenty of mud in Oregon... year 'round.

So true. But when the sun finally does come out, (around July) we appreciate it more.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2014 at 7:55pm
I've gotten most of my house projects done so I had an opportunity to get back on the jeep. I wanted to have provisions for carrying a spare tire and fuel can. I had fabbed up a receiver hitch arrangement when the rear x-member was replaced and wanted a modular approach to my tire/can carrier. 

The carrier slides into the receiver hitch and secures with the hitch pin. I spent some time placing welds on the carrier's square tubing and machining them down so the carrier just slips into the receiver with minimal movement. The trailer hitch part slides into the tire/can carrier and locks into place with the same pin. The top part of the tire carrier is from a Suzuki Samurai that I've had since the late 80's, it was used on a Ford 1/2 ton PU for the same purpose. I also replaced the metric studs with 1/2 fine threaded bolts so all the lug nuts would be the same.

The tire I've chosen for the spare is one that was abandoned on a construction site and the foreman let me take it. There were three of them, but this tire was the best- it's new and still has the mold nubbies on it. The wheel is an odd one; it has the 5 1/2" bolt circle but will only bolt on the jeep with the tire stem on the inside as shown here. It may be from a farm implement or something. There's just enough room between the taillights to fit the spare and a fuel can. I'm trying to locate a jerry can bracket/holder that I can branch off the carrier with to balance it out. I have a 1945 Monarch can my grandfather had to put on this.

I visited a military surplus store the other day to look for the jerry can holder and found this:

The tag said "military jeep air filter", anyone recognize it? It is an oil bath filter, I confirmed this when I tipped it over in the car. The air outlet is the same diameter as the carb horn on my stock 2a and the bolt pattern (up and down) is the same as the 2a brackets. Maybe it'll work, maybe not. I didn't find the jerry can holder so I'll travel to Puyallup next weekend to the 4 x 4 swap meet and look for jeep parts.

Edited by otto - 27 Aug. 2020 at 10:23pm
48 CJ2A
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2014 at 1:30am
Great idea on the spare tire carrier,I have been thinking of facing one similar to yours.
Pinchus34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinchus34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2014 at 4:37pm
Is it possible that that air cleaner is from an M38 or M38A1? It sure looks like a Donaldson but with that extra "mushroom" on the side, perhaps it was set up for a snorkel? I am admittedly guessing here...
My wife refers to my 2a as "the project."

46 CJ2a Serial #48581 "Lil Pinch"
Hud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2014 at 6:18pm
I think Pinchus nailed it. This is from the M38A1 tech manual.
"Go For Broke"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2014 at 5:32am
Yes! I knew I could count on the knowledge of the 2a members. Thanks for the ID. The 
"mushroom" does come off so I guess I could run one of those snorkels that I see in high school parking lots Ermm. The radiator brace rods are in the way of mounting the air cleaner in the stock location and getting part D in the photo above to the carb, but the left fender has some room after the horn is relocated.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2014 at 1:45am
My trip to Puyallup was fruitful and I came home with half of the things I was looking for. I've heard about this swap meet for a long time and is reputed to be one of the largest 4x4 oriented swap meets in the region. On my list was a jerry-can carrier and out of several that sellers had, I was able to find a mil-spec version with thicker metal. It had a notch cut out of it and the seller just gave it to me (thank you kind sir!), I did buy a raffle ticket from the club he was with. Once I had this part the carrier got another branch from its trunk to hold the jerry can. In primer:

with can and spare

The air filter I found at the surplus store looked like it could fit in the stock location until I noticed that the dipstick couldn't be pulled out. I removed the outer 2a air filter bracket from the tub and bent the mounting ears of the filter housing  to bring the filter closer to the firewall. Now it fits good enough to clear the dipstick and looks like it belongs there.

I think some flexible hose will fit under the radiator braces and above the valve cover. I'm thinking a 2a carb air horn can be modified to fit the Monojet and fit under the hood. This filter is a pretty neat unit, I like it better than the 2a filter. It comes apart completely including the steel wool media and has a removable tray/trap for the oil. The lid can be pointed in any direction. The little "mushroom" part had a sticker on it but I only noticed this after I had sanded most of it off. Not sure what it said. When the paint dries on all these parts, they'll go on for good.

I found a complete 2a grille in nice shape at the swap meet for $30! All I needed was the headlight buckets but now I have some additional wall art. I was able to remove the buckets from the grille without ruining all the OE fasteners.  Concourse judges can be tough ones to please!

Edited by otto - 17 Mar. 2014 at 1:50am
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>