Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 4:48am
Can’t find the thumbs up button. So, if you wouldn’t mind imagining it’s here that would be great.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:26am
Here ya go, with an extra for Mike F.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:01am
I’ll take it!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:17am
seriously. Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:44pm
I was able to figure out how to connect the laptop to the ECU and actually drive the jeep and log some data. The files that are generated are a bunch of numbers that don’t mean much to me yet, but hopefully after some learnin’, maybe they will. I’m going to connect a small light to the check engine light circuit so that error codes can be read. 
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 3:02pm
In between other work, I decided in the name of safety to install a third brake light.

The engine always seemed to run like it has a vacuum leak, so I had the manifolds machined perfectly flat & got some new gaskets just to rule that out. Maybe it'll work.
I also got a little light to use as a "service engine soon" indicator that can be used to read fault codes the old fashioned way- counting the blinks. Once it's back together, we'll see how many of those show up.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:43am
The forward progress is happening in smaller increments now that the jeep is running. I had bought another 2.8L throttle body as the first one had a loose shaft so that went on the jeep. There is still fine tuning to do with refinements making this upgrade even better. Today I was able to figure out the wiring for the service engine soon light and get it to work. I checked for error codes, but only got the 12 code. That’s the best one because it means everything is working correctly!👍
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 2:57pm
Over the weekend I was able to make some improvements to how the engine runs. I swapped out the ignition module, changed the coil wire and spent some time on the phone with Bill from Hamilton Injection with a phone in one hand and a timing light in the other. I took the jeep for a test run with the laptop connected logging data and the engine runs markedly better. No more backfiring and it will rev out nicely. The fuel tables still look rich, so I'll send this data to Bill for him to decipher and fine tune. On the flip side, the rear main seal looks to have failed and is puking oil over everything. Looks like this winter I've got yet another project!
48 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 7:48pm
Keep up the good work you’ll get it Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2019 at 2:03pm
After reading another member's post about his FI project, I started to wonder about the fuel pressure in the return line on my jeep. I swapped the gauge over to the return side and found that when running, there was 4 psi in the line instead of the 0 psi that should be in this location. Long story short, the return line got re-plumbed. The return line ended up returning into the sending unit hole and now there is a rubber fuel hose inside the tub which I'm a little uneasy with.

Anyway, it works better now with barely any pressure being read in the return line. Took the jeep for a spin yesterday and the driveability was good.

During some troubleshooting on other vehicles, I took compression readings on the Mercruiser engine and they were all over the place. Couple that with the oil leak from the rear main seal and now the engine will be coming out this winter for refurbishing. JEEP stands for what again?
48 CJ2A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2019 at 7:48pm
Nice work!   My cj-3a is a project I want to tackle this winter and your great thread gives me hope!  Looking forward to some fine Orygun jeeping.  I'm new to SW Oregon.

I run Cutlas hubs on my MB.  I like them.  Very simple and the steel casing is very tolerant of the odd rock hit.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 1:43am
i like the Mercruiser (Chevy II) engine swap. I'm pretty heavy invested in L heads but if I were to go with a non-jeep engine that would be the one I'd check out first. Intake and exhaust on the driver side, ignition on the passenger side, bell housing bolt pattern the same as a small block. Great choice.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2019 at 1:57pm
[QUOTE=tamnalan]Nice work!   My cj-3a is a project I want to tackle this winter and your great thread gives me hope!  Looking forward to some fine Orygun jeeping.  I'm new to SW Oregon.

I run Cutlas hubs on my MB.  I like them.  Very simple and the steel casing is very tolerant of the odd rock hit.
[We'll have to experience some fine Orygun jeeping some time, I'm quite old to NW Oregon.]
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2019 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

i like the Mercruiser (Chevy II) engine swap. I'm pretty heavy invested in L heads but if I were to go with a non-jeep engine that would be the one I'd check out first. Intake and exhaust on the driver side, ignition on the passenger side, bell housing bolt pattern the same as a small block. Great choice.

I like the Mercruiser too! I did research a lot of the "modern" 4 cylinders and the Merc/OMC 2.5 & 3.0L engines seemed like the most powerful and easiest to adapt. Plus the 3.0L had the longest stroke of all of them at 3.6". They also share parts with Chev V8s- much more affordable than boat parts.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 3:03pm
Because I'm currently held up on other projects I tend to get bored and take stuff apart. I've been itching to remove the diamond plating from this jeep forever and curious what was under it.

The front cowl sections have a diamond plate step formed into them and are rather stout, you can actually use them as a step. The original drain hole remains intact and I started laying out lines where the indents would be on a M-38. I would like to add the pioneer tools to the passenger side 'cause I think the tools would be handy, and it would be more "gadgety".

48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 3:37pm
Super swampers And pioneer tools!!! Now that’s a trail Jeep!Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 8:18pm
I really enjoy this build. 
I’m currently wanting to copy your wheel well mod for more seat room, you did a very clean job of it. 
I’m curious how much room you have between your swamper and the inside of the wheel well, when the tire is stuffed into it??
Like when you climb up on a big stump and the passenger rear tire is hanging in the air!
Thanks 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

I really enjoy this build. 
I’m currently wanting to copy your wheel well mod for more seat room, you did a very clean job of it. 
I’m curious how much room you have between your swamper and the inside of the wheel well, when the tire is stuffed into it??
Like when you climb up on a big stump and the passenger rear tire is hanging in the air!
Thanks 
Thanks Ben,
To answer your question, the amount of clearance between the tire and the wheelhouse when navigating obstacles is most likely zero as the inside of the wheel well has a nice polish to it! I’m OK with that. 
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 34>