Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 33>
Author

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 6:46am
261?  Someone putting on sequins?   Wow
Mike in AZ
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

261?  Someone putting on sequins?   Wow

It wasn't sparkly enough for sequins! The tally is probably higher as I found some more that weren't in the first count.

Spent Saturday welding up various holes in the dash and cowl, plus repairing some of my older, hurried patchwork when the tub was still on. Much easier to do with the tub off. Will spend Sunday grinding Unhappy

My welder is giving me fits so it will receive some attention; I opened it up and cleaned 30 years of dust out of it yesterday- wow!

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 2:03am
I’m kinda liking the welds on the dash it looks cool! Don’t grind them...Big smile
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

I’m kinda liking the welds on the dash it looks cool! Don’t grind them...Big smile

Too late!
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:02am
test

Mods: please delete this post.

Edited by otto - 05 May 2021 at 8:28pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:24pm
All the pioneer tool attaching goodies showed up today!

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:26pm

I’d like to fit these to the body pre-paint and drill holes in the tub myself for a change. The shovel that fits best on a jeep has a unique bend to it that is not very common. I know that item will be a challenge to find, but I didn’t think the axe would be a difficult thing to source too. 

I do have a long handled shovel that fits rather well, hmmmm…

In the last year, garage sales and flea markets haven’t happened as in the past so those outlets for used items have dried up. In February this area experienced an ice storm that the region hasn’t seen for many years. The ice brought down trees (and power lines) for just about everyone in the Portland area- especially south and east of Portland where I live. Since the storm, any type of wood cutting implement has been in short supply and I haven’t seen a new axe in a store since. I never thought that in a place nicknamed Stumptown that I would struggle to buy an axe!

ff
48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:15am
We got hit with that ice storm too here on the coast. The college lost a lot of trees and we spent a week cleaning it up.

261 extra holes seems like a lowest estimate LOL 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 3:59pm
Yes, the storm created quite a mess. The big Elm tree in my front yard was ruined, and the top broke off the Magnolia and lost a Lilac; and I got off easy!

Remember- the hole count was just for the tub. The windshield frame had 100+ holes itself.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:16pm

Thought I might move on to the rear floor after welding up all the holes in both ¼ panels and wheel openings. Worked out most of the dents and bellies in the floor but didn’t make it perfect; I don’t want to remove all of the jeep’s character. 

Removed the rear floor brace and found some 1947 wood inside.

Also noticed I’m rebuilding tub # 154501 with tailgate #154500- sound about right?

Edited by otto - 09 May 2021 at 9:17pm
48 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:09pm
That’s cool the numbers are in order. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 11:27pm

The right ¼ panel is all jacked up and needs some repair. It looks like someone caught the side mounted spare tire on something and tweaked everything- the panel is bulged out at one spot and in at another. There is also rust where the brace wood held moisture so the brace got surgically removed; made better access after cutting a window in the taillight panel. 

This will make repair easier and the brace had some rust anyway so I’ll fix that and replace it; or not, I won’t be hanging a spare tire off the side so maybe it doesn’t need to go back on at all. Have to play it by ear.

m,m.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 11:17pm

The hat channels and windshield panel arrived from Classic Ent. today, so with the holiday weekend extended a few days there’s plenty of opportunity for forward progress.

48 CJ2A
storm_factory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm_factory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:04am
I'm really enjoying your sheet metal work, it looks great!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:39pm
Thank you very much!

I must admit, my enthusiasm and motivation are waning. It seems like I'm on the downhill slope (at least metal-wise), but there's just so much more to do.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2021 at 6:33pm

So I cleaned off the remains of the original hat channels and began fitting the new ones. Because the fender braces won’t be part of the body, I had to trim a little off where they would support the “step”. Then I painted the inside of the channels so they won’t rust.

I carefully planed down some oak flooring so it fit snugly inside the rear floor support and gave it a couple coats of polyurethane- then this happened...

I also cut some wood for the front floor hat channels; not all channels got wood, just the straight sections.

After attaching the hat channels to the bottom of the tub with a few screws, it came off the rotisserie for a test fit. After some fiddling with shifting the hat channels around, to my surprise most of the holes lined up nicely. I was also pleasantly surprised with the fitment of the front sheet metal as it used to fight me every time I had to remove it- now the bolts just fall into place.

Everything was progressing smoothly until I put the windshield frame into place. The windshield frame always was a hot mess with welds and cobby repairs and pivot points re-drilled in the tub. I struggled with getting it to fit for half a day before changing course. What worked was to clamp the frame up into the hard top with the pivot bolts out and then let the arms show me where they needed to be. Just heated and bent them to line up with the holes.

Now that it looks like things will fit, the tub will go back on the rotisserie for welding the hat channels and more metal work.

Edited by otto - 02 July 2021 at 8:57pm
48 CJ2A
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2021 at 10:29pm
Really nice work.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2021 at 11:14am
Otto, nice work. I'm curious about your decision to reinstall wood inside the hat channels, particularly since the Classic Enterprise channels have tubular supports welded in.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 33>