Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Otto, nice work. I'm curious about your decision to reinstall wood inside the hat channels, particularly since the Classic Enterprise channels have tubular supports welded in.

Thank you for the kind words and following along. 

I did ponder putting wood in the hat channels, and whether or not it was needed. The Classic Ent. parts do come with the tubing welded into the channel that acts like an anti-crush sleeve and they do perform this function at that point. The wood did seem to stiffen the channels and may help prevent sagging between the attachment points. Belt and suspenders?, maybe, but the manufacturer put the wood in, it didn’t cost me anything and it helped me hone woodworking skills, something I need.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 7:54pm

I did find an axe at a store that sells used tools; you could tell it was old and had a great aged look to it. I had it on the counter and almost bought it when I sighted down the handle to see a big bow in it- like it had been strapped to a jeep for many years on the driver’s side. I’ll keep looking. 

On the way home I stopped at a garage sale on my street 4 doors down from my house thinking maybe they had an axe or shovel. They didn’t, but I met a neighbor that I hadn’t before and he showed me a beautifully restored Nash Metro convertible that his dad had completed and also the ‘36 Ford sedan they were working on, and a late 40’s Ford tow truck that the son told me had scored something like 950 points out of 1000 and was the recipient of Dearborn awards! 

It was an interesting day.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 7:37pm

The hat channels are all welded in; even the center part. I had to create a curved section of the center piece on one side as it had rusted away- took a bit of work.

Since the floor was in I moved forward with repairing the toolbox. The front and side panels had rusted and the bottom flanges were mostly gone. 

The side piece was simple to replace and section in, fortunately, the curved corner piece was not needing replacement as that would have been a pain to make.

The front piece was a bit of work. I had to create a panel that meshed with the tool indents, curved near the transmission tunnel, and didn’t interfere with the “Jeep” script on the front of the toolbox. The metal is fairly thin at the bottom of the letters, so I cut as close to the script as I dared. This part took longer than you might think.

jkjion
48 CJ2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 10:26pm
Otto, what are you planning on the front fender steps. I saw where you deleted the hat channels going to them and meant to ask then but didn't.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Otto, what are you planning on the front fender steps. I saw where you deleted the hat channels going to them and meant to ask then but didn't.

The diamond plate that was on the outside of the tub had a heavy gauge fender brace/step formed into it. I'm going to cut those off the old cowl sides and fashion up some rocker protection made of stout metal that uses the old steps.

Now that you mention it, I'm hoping the pioneer tools don't conflict with my plan to do this.  
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 5:08pm

Small update on the jeep: I got some new sandblasting media and cleaned out all the old sand that was plugging up the sandblaster with irritating regularity. There is a small sand pile out front and whenever something needed cleaning up, I would just grab some and screen out the big chunks, rocks, shells, cat turds, etc. and use that. Not the best.

This weekend’s project was to clean up the toolbox and the tub where the toolbox resides and get some primer on those sections so the toolbox can be welded back in. I masked off where the welds will be and will hit those spots with some weld-through primer before it goes back in.

The right ¼ panel got straightened up and the rusty spot was replaced. I’ve decided the spare tire gusset/brace will not be reinstalled, plus the holes got welded up anyway. This repair wasn’t as difficult as I first thought it might be and went smoothly. The big bulge in the wheel opening just took some hammer work to fix.

After the toolbox gets welded back into place, I think the tub will come off the rotisserie and put back on the cart so I can have full access to the back of the tub. I have a new tailgate surround and mounts to install here. I’ll also have to create the tail light panels.  Haven’t decided on what sort of taillights the jeep will have yet.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:33pm

I found this in a box of stuff that I squirreled away long ago. This was riveted to the inside of the windshield frame of the black jeep when I first got it. It was always a curiosity as to what it was and where it came from. It took a couple of years to learn that it was the script from the toolbox  cut out of another jeep. Right now it just sits in a window sill in the garage; not sure what to do with it. 

I went to a swap meet this morning in search of new and interesting stuff. I came home with this little puller ($15) that I’m hoping will remove jeep hubs and genuine Vise Grip clamps ($7 ea). I can’t tell you how many times I wished that I had these small clamps doing the panel replacement. I also scored an axe for $10 that will work nicely on the side of the jeep.

It’s going to be insanely hot here for the next several days so the only updates on the build will be from the couch.
48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

It’s going to be insanely hot here for the next several days so the only updates on the build will be from the couch.

You could be like everyone else and head to the coast this weekend. Ermm They started rolling in yesterday and boy are they really good drivers. LOLAngry 

Back to your post, think I am going to cut out the script on a tool box I have after seeing yours.  Not really worth it to save as there is rust and rot around the edges.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

You could be like everyone else and head to the coast this weekend. Ermm They started rolling in yesterday and boy are they really good drivers. LOLAngry 

Back to your post, think I am going to cut out the script on a tool box I have after seeing yours.  Not really worth it to save as there is rust and rot around the edges.

I can only imagine the parade of vehicles and people heading your way! I honestly don't know where you're going to put them all. Maybe you could rent out your yard as a campsite.

If I wasn't going to attempt attending a vintage van event on Sunday, I'd be there right now!
48 CJ2A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 9:46pm
  I also used the  script "JEEP" from a rusted tool box and welded it into a 1947 Indiana plate for a vanity plate for the front of my 2a.  

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I also used the  script "JEEP" from a rusted tool box and welded it into a 1947 Indiana plate for a vanity plate for the front of my 2a.  

Jim

In your avatar? I see it.

It would be kinda cool to put it back on the jeep somewhere as a tribute to its past life. I'll have to think on it.
48 CJ2A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2021 at 2:59pm
 Yes, that is it, took a little time and patience but I thought it was worth it. people still ask what year it is Smile

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2021 at 5:04pm
I just had a thought about this script piece- I may glue some magnet material onto the back of it. Then it could be placed anywhere. Over 300 holes got welded up on this jeep and I'm hesitant to drill any new ones.
48 CJ2A
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2021 at 6:52am
If you build a console you could incorporate it there.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2021 at 2:19pm

Fast forward a number of days. High temps visited our region which kept me out of the shop while we endured this:

Just turn your head, sigh.

Never did I ever think I would be experiencing this in Portland, Oregon! It hit 116F at the airport!

Photo taken after most of the heavy gauge tailgate surround was removed. The floor flange is a little thin and crusty, so that will be replaced where it’s bad. Someone had torched out the lower part of the rear valance panel for unknown reasons, but it’s going to be replaced.

48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2021 at 4:02pm
We were at a cooler 101 degrees, almost 40 degrees above our average.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2021 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

We were at a cooler 101 degrees, almost 40 degrees above our average.

Over 101 at the Oregon coast- That is crazy hot. People must have been melting there.
 It was 117 @ PM here in Salem on Monday, but cooled off to I think lower 70's in the early evening.
   Thank goodness my AC held up here @ home.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2021 at 8:01pm
Got all the crusty, rusty bits cut out and prepped for the new stuff. Even got the sandblaster out to clean up all the areas that will be welded.

Started making the taillight panels by cutting out a form to bend the metal over. Got sticker shock shopping for an Oak board and just used up some leftover 2x8 material; I’m only making two so it should last through that process.

At first glance, these seem like simple panels to make but there is a bit of industry here. Where the panel creates a post at the tailgate opening, there are three folds that form a box so I had to leave a tab for that and make those bends creatively after using the form.

The top rail has two folds in it; I welded two different sizes of bar stock together to create a form to wrap the metal around, I even made the inner sleeve to weld in the top rail for strength. I know Classic Enterprises sells these panels for around $35 ea., but I couldn’t tell from their photos if they had all the features. Plus it was kind of fun making them from scratch and figuring out the order of making bends.

Edited by otto - 05 July 2021 at 10:13am
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 33>