Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2021 at 7:31pm
Fenders and the tailgate are the only metalwork left now, decided to get started. Welded some bolts to my torch stand & attached the fender at a comfortable height. Just tip your head, sigh.

Cutting out the bad parts left just a strip of krusty metal at the edge of the fender that wouldn’t end up being a great repair- the rolled bead is really thin and holey cheese.

There is a heavy wire that runs the edge of the fenders and was surprisingly solid inside the sheet metal. At the wire’s healthiest point, it measures 0.150”. 

I didn’t have anything this dimension to form metal over, so I laminated some ⅛” bar and a strip of 18 gauge sheet metal. Turned out to be the ideal thickness and the test piece slipped over the wire perfectly.

Getting the proper curvature in the patch was no picnic and took multiple test fittings before settling in.

Once tacked in, I peened over the bent bead until it wrapped the wire and then followed up crimping with channel locks so it looks just like original. This repair went far better than I was expecting!

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2021 at 7:37pm
Follow up photo dump:

48 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2021 at 7:39pm
Damn, that's nice. Good work.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 8:05pm
I got the scrap piece back from the other paint store and thought their efforts were a fail. I'll go with the first store's color. 

Actually, it's the same color via the catalog but very different in the end.
48 CJ2A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 8:47pm
Did you try the one I suggested? 
Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Did you try the one I suggested? 
Micah

I used the same vendor as you did (Industrial Finishes) and left it to them to arrive at the best match. They didn't seem too interested in spending a lot of time on it after having the scrap piece for three weeks. I thought Wesco did a better job of getting the color close.

I mean they both scanned the sample and arrived at the same color, one just executed the task better.
48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 11:48pm
Ok, I thought you were going to have them mix up one of the formulas I had and see if it was a better match.

Micah

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2021 at 2:55pm
Well, there's still time to try your suggestions. I won't be painting anything substantial until next year and could try them then. The first mix was so close it kind of seems like a slam dunk.
48 CJ2A
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2021 at 4:27pm
Very nice work on the fender!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2021 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Very nice work on the fender!

Thank you.

Always get a kick out of watching you walk through the boulders on the big swampers!
48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2021 at 8:29pm
Otto,
I'm curious if the formula I got was close to your original paint. Please post if you ever try it.

Micah

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2021 at 10:24pm

The right fender got the same treatment as the other side (damn flares!); it was a bit more solid down the back of the rear section so I think this can stay as it is. This is the same fender shown earlier that was full of bondo. Once that got all ground out, the top of the fender was pretty hammered and it took a while to get dents worked out over the whole fender. 

The top of the right fender had developed a bit of a bulge by the time it got ironed out. I reached for the shrinking disc to bring this down, but was struggling to get the metal to move. There was an oil can that I just couldn’t get to go away. So I tried something out of desperation; I took the fender off and laid it upside down on the floor and took the shrinking disc to the underside of the fender. This actually worked and going back and forth on the top and bottom a few times, I had the metal where I wanted and was tightened up and not moving.

This tells me that the heat from the shrinking disc has more of an effect on the surface that it is rubbing against than a deep heating like from a torch shrink. Anyway, something to keep in mind and try if the normal techniques aren’t working.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 9:12pm

Wrapped up the weekend with two rehabbed fenders covered with filler- nothing you haven’t seen from me before. Even though there is more filler over the metal, it’s less than before. At the thickest points it’s about ⅛” vs. ½” as found. The right fender was really beat but better now. Tomorrow I’ll give them a coat of epoxy primer and move on to the tailgate.

I tried something new and rethreaded some broken manifold studs to use as a fender bolt to the frame. I think it may make it easier to assemble with hopefully less chipped paint.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 12:58am

One of the last pieces to repair will be the tailgate. It has a rusted lower section that needs replacement. I got one of the repair sections that Mike from Oregon sells so I’ll splice that in. Since the rusted metal is just between the hinges, the shorter repair piece is all that is needed- the parts outside of the hinge are rock solid.

Just had to sandblast off the krusty bits first. It's kind of funny looking at these photos now, when I first got the jeep the rust on the left side was minimal. I remember saying to myself "I should do something about that before it gets worse". Now 21 years later, I am!

Edited by otto - 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:41pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2021 at 10:34pm

Got around to fixing the tailgate this weekend by welding in the repair section. I’ll need to weld in the pivot pins, but the rest of the work will wait until later. For now, I’ll just use it as-is to fit hinges and the hook thingies. I thought I could just re-use the old ones from the tub, but someone had cut off the tab with hole for the chains.

I’m also going to leave the original paint on the gate until the paint gets mixed and I’m happy with the match. Now to clean up the shop and start assembling stuff.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 9:37pm

Removed the tub from the rotisserie and put it back on the frame for final fitting. This will include everything; top, doors, all sheet metal and accessories will be bolted on and shimmed, adjusted, tweaked until everything fits well and can be assembled after painting without fighting stuff and/or scratching new paint.

Tried out the pioneer tools with the straps. All fits pretty good, I like it!

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2021 at 9:56pm

Got both jeeps in the shop side by side to compare how things are supposed to fit. Ran across these two bolts on the right side of the frame. Both of my jeeps have them and a leftover metal tab from whatever broke off. Any idea of what these bolts are for? 

I noticed this captured nut for the front leg of the seat on the blue jeep. I fitted the seats and drilled the hole for this attachment point. I’ll have to mimic this feature so the floor won’t crack over time.

Also working on the doors for the hardtop. One door was complete including the upholstery; looks like the original vintage naugahyde (hide?) stapled to fiberboard. The driver’s door is missing the window regulator and window lift channel so if someone has an extra, give me a shout.

48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2021 at 10:18pm
Mounting tab for a side step that met an unfortunate fate. 

Micah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 33>